Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please pray for my Mom!

She has had Multiple Sclerosis since 1980 and has been in a wheelchair since 1990. She is also on blood thinners due to a clot in her leg. For the past 2 weeks she hasn't been feeling well and not eating/drinking hardly anything. I get a call from her husband 3 days ago that he had to take her to the hospital and her blood thinner levels were insanely high and she had to be airlifted to a hospital in Nashville.

I went to see her yesterday and spoke with the doctor and they said that she also has a pretty bad UTI that is affecting her pretty badly. She has had an MRI and CAT scan because they thought she had suffered a stroke. Turns out there was no stroke but her MS is active again after being dormant for about 3 years.

Her speech is really affected now as she slurs her words and has a lot of trouble talking and being understood. The doctors also are putting in a central line so she can receive IV fluids when she doesn't drink as much as she should. They also pulled 2 liters of fluid off of her lungs today. :(

All of this makes me so sad and I am trying so hard not to cry in front of her. My Dad died of cancer when I was 15 and now my Mom is in such poor health and I am only 31. :-( I don't want to lose her too but I also don't want to see her suffer.

MS is a terrible disease and I am praying they find a cure one day.

Thanks for listening.

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
I'm so sorry your mother is having such a difficult time of it right now, Kelly. I pray she will get the needed help to put her back on the road to remission and wellness. Hugs to you! Hang in there!

·
Premium Member
2,388 Posts
I am so sorry your family is going through this, you are in my prayers.

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
I am sorry that your mother is having such a hard time. MS really seems like such a mysterious and debilitating disease. I hope that your mom gets the help she needs to get better. Hugs to you. You sound like a great daughter.

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
Oh I pray so hard for your Mom. Hopefully when they take care of the UTI, she will feel better and start to eat and drink on her own. Maybe the infection really aggrevated her MS.

Deep Deep love to you and Mom.

·
Premium Member
24,026 Posts
Kelly - I'm so sorry for what you and your mother are going through. I'm sending prayers that she will indeed rally. I know that UTI's can wreak havoc with older people (although I'm assuming since you're 31 that your mom's pretty young) but I'm sure with the MS it has a much more pronounced effect. It's sad to see when your parent is helpless and we end up trading places of being their parent when they are very ill. I do hope she'll do better and that you'll have more time with her. We're here for you.:grouphug:

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks so much ladies! You don't know how much this means to me!!

Mom is only 60 so she is young....just really sick with the MS and the UTI...she has had many because of a urinary cathedar she has had for several years. The MS had basically made her a quadriplegic so she cannot really move or do anything on her own. I think that's where the blood clot came from.

Here's a picture of my Mom, my kids, me, and Mom's hubby. It was my littlest daughter, Gwen's 4th b-day and we were blowing the candles out in Mom's bedroom so she could be a part of the festivities.

·
Premium Member
10,319 Posts
I am so sorry to hear about your Mother. So glad she is getting some help and is in the hospital so they can treat her infection. She should show some improvement soon. I will say prayers for her and for you! It is so scary to watch your Mom go through this.....please know we will be here for you!

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
I am so sorry :grouphug: it is an awful disease indeed. My poor niece has had it since she was about 20, she is now around 40 and has been in and out of a wheelchair more times than I can count.

I hope your Mum improves and feels well again soon, for all your sakes.

·
Premium Member
Sandi-- w/Kitzel (Kitzi) & Lisel (Lisi)
17,698 Posts
Praying God's healing over your mom today----enjoy every single day HE gives you together and build good memories. Every day is a blessing if we live it fully. No regrets.
Your children are precious---they look a lot like their mom---I can imagine they also have your heart!
Whether we are sick or not ALL of our days are numbered---so live well, love well, laugh much and be kind to yourself.
Hugs across the sea.

·
Banned
1,869 Posts
Kelly,

I wanted you to know that I'm thinking of you. Kelly, you must remember that it's perfectly healthy to allow yourself to express and process what YOU feel and what YOU are going through at this difficult time.

It is understandable that you desire to be strong for others in time of need - but YOUR feelings are valid and they need to be addressed also.

Warm regards,

Allie

·
Registered
115 Posts
I am so sorry to hear about your mom. I will sure be praying for you. I will take that request to the Lord right now. My dad did have a stroke 2 years ago and i have never seen anything take a person down as that. He is also on blood thinners and i know what you mean about those levels. Pray all goes well please keep up updated.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts