Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My neighbor just got a new puppy. They paid $1500 for a 6 week old pomeranian! It is really cute but dang that is young. Right after she told me how old it was she was like "He's not potty trained yet." WTH!!! He is only 6 weeks old! She was also talking about getting a leash so she could take him for walks so he can met other dogs. She had no clue about parvo or distemper.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
geez, people like that are so ignorant. i wish i could tell them to their face "you're really stupid". lol. well, at least she's got a neighbor that knows about this stuff.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
I think poms are cute! I bet he is a doll!
Are you friends? Maybe you can make a point of getting together and educating her. If there are no pom sites, maybe you can get her here and at least she can get some puppy hints.

I found this one...although I didn't like the way it worked...
Pom forum

I didn't find much else devoted only to poms. Just general canine forums.
Maybe you will have better luck...

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No we are not friends. In fact yesterday was the first time she said more then a sentence to me. Actually on Thursday was the first time she said a sentence to me. Her and her boyfriend have lived across the hall from me since April. I always smile and say hi to them but they usually just smile back. A few times they have said hi. Another neighbor has gotten pissed at them for not being friendly so he refuses to even say hi to them anymore. LOL

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just found out the puppy has Coccidia. I read that this is something that can be passed to other dogs, usually young dogs. Could Nikki get it? So far she hasn't been around the dog.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Jul 30 2005, 12:49 PM
Just found out the puppy has Coccidia.  I read that this is something that can be passed to other dogs, usually young dogs.  Could Nikki get it?  So far she hasn't been around the dog.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=85971
[/QUOTE]

This is something your pups could get. It is highly contagious. If you know where she walks her dogs when she is outside, don't take yours near there. Also, don't put them down in the hall, as hers has probably walked there too. My Westie friend has had problems with it with some of her show pups. Hers never leave the room, and she is a neat freak, but they still got it. Albon is a good treatment for it, and it should clear up with the pup. I hope she is told to make sure the pup drinks plenty of fluids as Albon is hard on the kidneys.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Could that be what was wrong with Lexi?

How long has she had the dog?

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys! I got really worried when she told me that it had it. I thouht I had remember reading that it was contagious. The "breeder" or whoever sold her the dog told her it had coccida. She has not taken it to the vet yet. She said she has an appointment on Tuesday. The thing that I don't like is she has started taking the dog to the same spots where I usually take the girls. So now because of her pup none of the of the dogs that usually hang out there can now.

They just got the puppy on Friday so it is not what Lexi has.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by LucyLou+Jul 30 2005, 02:56 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Lexi's Mom
@Jul 30 2005, 12:49 PM
Just found out the puppy has Coccidia.  I read that this is something that can be passed to other dogs, usually young dogs.  Could Nikki get it?  So far she hasn't been around the dog.
This is something your pups could get. It is highly contagious. If you know where she walks her dogs when she is outside, don't take yours near there. Also, don't put them down in the hall, as hers has probably walked there too. My Westie friend has had problems with it with some of her show pups. Hers never leave the room, and she is a neat freak, but they still got it. Albon is a good treatment for it, and it should clear up with the pup. I hope she is told to make sure the pup drinks plenty of fluids as Albon is hard on the kidneys.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=85981
[/B][/QUOTE]
Thanks! Got another question for you. How is it actually spread? Is it through the poop? How long after it starts treatment does it take until it is ok to go back into the areas it has been in outside?

Thank you for all your help! I'm trying to spread the word to the other dog owners in my building.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom+Jul 30 2005, 06:23 PM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 30 2005, 02:56 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Lexi's Mom
@Jul 30 2005, 12:49 PM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=85981

[/QUOTE]
Thanks! Got another question for you. How is it actually spread? Is it through the poop? How long after it starts treatment does it take until it is ok to go back into the areas it has been in outside?

Thank you for all your help! I'm trying to spread the word to the other dog owners in my building.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=86026
[/B][/QUOTE]

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Oops, sorry about not finishing the last post.

Maybe Jackie will chime in here to give more specific information.

I know the Albon is given from seven to ten days. I've been told that it is something that all pups can get, and that stress is a factor that may cause it to show up. Certainly taking a six week old pup away from its mom would contribute to this.
I live on a farm. Cattle can have coccidiosis. I've been told by one of my vet frients that even though there are no cows here now, it could be in the soil, and my dogs could get it if they roamed about (the little ones don't, of course). I've never had any problems with my rescues. My two Labs and the Irish Setter/Golden Retriever go back and forth to the lake all during the day, and they have not been sick in the years they have been here.
I think I would talk with managment about the problem. I would not want my dogs in that area until after I had talked with my vet.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just went over and talked to her. She got him at a petstore and they told her it was contagious but all they told her is if she has another dog they should be kept separate until he is treated. She didn't think about other dogs. She said that he has not gone potty outside yet, that he was only playing out there. She tried to get him into the vet today but the vet couldn't work her in. She has a coupon for a free exam with that vet so she decided to wait until Monday to take him. The pet store told her that the puppy only had a minor case of Coccida. Is that possible? My neighbor said that he hasn't had any diarrhea yet.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Jul 30 2005, 07:07 PM
I just went over and talked to her.  She got him at a petstore and they told her it was contagious but all they told her is if she has another dog they should be kept separate until he is treated.  She didn't think about other dogs.  She said that he has not gone potty outside yet, that he was only playing out there.  She tried to get him into the vet today but the vet couldn't work her in.  She has a coupon for a free exam with that vet so she decided to wait until Monday to take him.  The pet store told her that the puppy only had a minor case of Coccida.  Is that possible?  My neighbor said that he hasn't had any diarrhea yet.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=86035
[/QUOTE]

I'm so glad you decided to go talk with her about the cocci and going outside to potty. Too bad you couldn't talk her into returning it to the pet store since it has an illness. I'll bet that puppy mill didn't get more than $200 for that pup, so there was a lot of mark up from the mill to the store.
Wish I had an answer about the "mild" cocci.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I can't believe they spent $1500 on a 6 week old puppy that is sick. She said that they were giving her a 50lb bag of dog food. Won't the food spoil before the puppy can eat all of that?

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Gosh, that is awful that the store would sell a sick dog.. if they knew the dog had coccidia then why weren't they treating him for it?

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
I don't really know what to say...but I'm glad you're keeping the girls safe. I don't think a 50 lbs bag of food would be very useful to someone with a small breed

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Now that would be a good deal!! I have more dog food in the fridge than I do people food. Even with 2 boys, it takes forever to get through the 6 pound bag.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
i spoke with lexis mom and gave her this link...but i thought everyone might want the info so here it is http://www.capcvet.org/?p=Guidelines_Coccidiosis&h=0&s=0
the temp outside needs to get higher than 106 or lower than 68 to kill the coccidia, otherwise it can live for years in the environment.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts