Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At least for a while I wanted people to see a pic of my foster baby. Brutus, who was renamed Teddy by his new family only lived with us for a week. he was 10 months old and his first family just didn't have time and love for him. He came to live with me and through the friends that I had made on line, the call went out and we found the greatest home for him.... he will forever be in our hearts but his heartfelt love and gratitude is now with the family who adopted him and love him madly. I get updates often and he truly has found his forever home. So..I take this opportunity to ask all of you to consider working with Rescue organizations and becoming Foster parents to a Maltese in need.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Vita, That is a great thing that you did for Brutus/Teddy. Just out of curiousity - Did the family give him up to the humane society and then y'all rescued from there? I don't really know how it works. Did they contact a Maltese Rescue? When a puppy is 10 months old, is it fairly easy to train, or was he already pretty well house trained? Many times I see threads about Rescues, but I haven't really ever heard how it all works from beginning to end.
Susan

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Vita, that's so neat that you want to show off your foster baby. Yours is such a nice story... it's great to hear a happy ending once in a while!!

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
What a wonderful thing you do with the rescue. I thought about resucing a maltese but didn't feel I would be a good candidate. I work during the day and felt I could not give a rescue the time and attention they would deserve. I do come home for lunch everyday for a hour to be with Lacey and of course when I am at home she is with me all the time. She is like velcro...everywhere I walk her little nose is attached to the back of my left leg. If I stop she runs into the back of my leg. I took a week off when she first came home and every week for the summer took off Fridays and alot of Thursdays so I could be with her.
You are doing a wonderful service for these little amazing little creatures. You are truly a special person.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by msmagnolia@Nov 21 2004, 06:56 PM
Vita, That is a great thing that you did for Brutus/Teddy.  Just out of curiousity - Did the family give him up to the humane society and then y'all rescued from there?  I don't really know how it works.  Did they contact a Maltese Rescue?  When a puppy is 10 months old, is it fairly easy to train, or was he already pretty well house trained?  Many times I see threads about Rescues, but I haven't really ever heard how it all works from beginning to end.
Susan
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=17641
[/QUOTE]
I have a friend whose brother and his wife bought brutus as a puppy. They were "nice" people but like so many people they had no idea whata responsibility maltese dogs are. Most of the time Brutus was kept gated in an area where he saw the family but was not allowed to interact. He was outside trained and he really was housebroken so that was not the reason. Some people just shouldnt have a dog whose desire is to be with you or on you always. Anyway my firend thought it was important that Brutus not live with them so we strongly implied that I wanted the dog for myself. I had no intention of adopting him but I knew I could get a wonderful home for him and did..in less than a week. The former woners never called to see how he was or even where he was...they were "glad" to be rid of him. He is the most adorable, behaved, potty trained affectionate guy. Even my friend never asked about him...he must have noticed cause he and his wife have been here since Brutus was adopted and there were only 2 Maltese around.

There are many Rescue organizations who have lists of Foster families and when a Rescue neds a placement they will contact you. Of course, it is tempting to keep the dog you foster but in fact you do a larger service by letting that one go to a foster home and that allows you to help yet another dog.

One of my maltese, Freddy was adopted from Atlantic maltese Rescue when he was a year old. He just turned 5 years old. Now that I know how to dothose avatars I will put his pic up after a while..he is just a wonderful little guy. After that adoption I knew I had to try and give back some of the love Freddy has given us and giving money is nice but if you have the situation where you can do it..fostering is a special way to close that circle of love that your own Maltese give you every day.

Sorry for the long post but I so believe that anyone who can foster should have the wonderful experience of doing it. It is an act that honors the love you have for your own precious pets.

·
Registered
831 Posts
vita, what a wonderful job you do.
I am so happy that Brutus story had a happy ending.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Vita, I agree. Let me get acclimated with this site and then we can spread the word about fostering. Teddy is going to his relatives house for Thanksgiving -- they don't leave home w/o him (lucky boy).

Huggs to you and yours -- Happy Thanksgiving.

n.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts