Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Premium Member
21,119 Posts
Originally posted by sherylmint@Jan 5 2005, 08:24 PM
At 31 I was diagnosed with Ovarian, an other cancer. After extensive surgery I pulled through. It left me disabled but thankful to be alive! It teaches you to live everyday to the fullest! It taught me an appreciation for life that I do not think I would have had. That was over 10 years ago and I still get a stilled heart when I go for my check ups. I Never take a minute for granted. Helping others is a great gift to them and to you. It is a great feeling of accomplishment when you help yourself, even greater when you help someone else. To help someone else shows that you are a very caring person who has the unique gift to look beyond yourself. You are a beautiful person and I hope all your dreams come true. What a beautiful gift you are giving to others! I look forward to seeing you on Oprah!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=27898
[/QUOTE]

I'm glad you're doing OK now..... Best wishes for continued good health!

· Premium Member
21,119 Posts
Originally posted by scottchelf@Jan 9 2005, 06:49 AM
Hello!  Congrats on your success and good luck in the future.

I have recently started a diet regimen of my own.  It follows the Adkins diet very closely with some of my own modifications.  I eat NO bread, sugars, pastries, pastas, cereals, canned fruits w/ syrup, candy, chocolates, and no breaded or organ meats. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=28533
[/QUOTE]

Scott, great job with the diet. I also am prone to hypoglycemia and the key for me is to eat foods that are low on the glycemic index. Are you familiar with the GI? For those who aren't, each food is rated on how long it takes to be processed in your body. A food that has a very high index, such as white bread, goes through very quickly, thus you feel hungry very soon after eating it. I sometimes refer to this as eating "air", as you really don't feel like you've eaten anything after about an hour. Other foods very high on this index are sugar, white flour pasta, and rice cakes.

I try to stick with foods that are low on the index and that "stick" with me for a long time, thus not getting that low blood sugar feeling.

I have been involved in learning about nutrition for probably 30 years, including taking a college-level nutrition course, subscribing to Nutrition Action Newsletter published by the respected Center for Science in the Public Interest and regular monthly one-on-one meetings with a PhD nutritionist who trains doctors in nutrition.

The diet you're on reminds me of many sound diets such as Weight Watchers and South Beach. I think by not eating all of the junk (empty calorie) foods you mention, that you are definitely on the right track. I think any diet that has fresh fruits and vegetables, a reasonable amount of protein, fat and whole grains will keep us healthy and at our ideal weight. Of course we do have to watch calories.

To keep accurate track of what I eat, I use a computer program called Diet Power Diet Power Web Site I highly recommend this program. It has a large dictionary of foods and food values and you can track all nutrients, protein, carbs, calories, etc. A weight graph is also included... all very easy to use via your computer. They offer a free trial. The program only costs about $50.... no other monthly or yearly fees.... you own the program.

I'm not in any way associated with this company but I am enthusiastic about it because it is very easy to use, very well put together and it helps us track our food intake, which is a known contributor to diet success.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.