Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have read all of the previous post with boy vs. girls stuff and I still have ?'s

I love Prissy with all my heart however Prissy isnt AKC Reg or "Show Quality"

I Orginally wanted to keep a pup out of Prissys litter since this will be her last. Ok first things first I would love to be able to compete in OB trials and agility with my future Maltese. I wold love to be able to show my future Malt for fun just to get some ring experience and maybe get into it more as I get older and when I'm out of School

I thought of making a pros and cons list maybe this will help.

Prissy Baby

Pro
Wont cost me $ for the original purchase

Maybe get Prissys personality and features which I LOVE

Have part of Prissy when she is gone

Prissy will get to be around puppy so maybe her good behavior will rub off.

Con
Puppy not AKC Reg
CKC doesnt have agility comp or Ob trials RIGHT?
Never be able to show

Outside Pup

Pro
Can get AKC reg and be able to show and compete in events.
Get the enjoyment of picking baby out

Con
$$$$ for a show quality malt is expensive (I need to sell tons of bows to pay for that)
No Prissy likeness
finding a breeder who will sell a show pup to a young possible competor

Once I make this choice then I can think about what sex? Can anyone think of some other things I need to include. Advice Please I'm so Lost!!! Its been a while since I got a puppy.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
how about one of each??

no, just kidding.

honestly, if you're looking to show, you should get a puppy you should show.. you need to start talking to breeders NOW though, to tell them what you might like to accomplish.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
You're wise to do the "Pro/Con" analysis. I do that when I have a decision to make and it does help. It seems that the main point making the decison difficult is that you want to show the pup. If that were not in the equation then it would be a no-brainer to get one of Prissy's pups. So, it would be a shame if you didn't get one of her pups and then didn't show either.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom@Jun 26 2005, 08:46 AM
You're wise to do the "Pro/Con" analysis. I do that when I have a decision to make and it does help. It seems that the main point making the decison difficult is that you want to show the pup. If that were not in the equation then it would be a no-brainer to get one of Prissy's pups. So, it would be a shame if you didn't get one of her pups and then didn't show either.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=75297
[/QUOTE]

OK, I think I can give you some personal experience that may help you make a decision. I have several pets here--spayed. I also do rescue, and I have several here who are not suited for placement, except in special homes (old, blind, behavior problems, health issues). I also developed an interest in showing, and I'm attemting to raise show dogs for myself. Now, I assume that if you do get one for show, you will want to keep some of those offsprings to continue with this. Pretty soon, you have not just one or two, but several. I'm in that situation now. These are my babies, but it does limit what I can do as I don't want to become a "dog collector", and my lap is only so big and I only have so much time for each. In fact, I had to decide between breeding my champion Westie or having Maltese pups this spring. I chose Maltese. Don't look at just the next two or three years, but look at six, eight, and ten years down the road because these dogs will be with you, or you will need to decide if it is in their best interest to find them a new home. Right now, I'm faced with retiring and placing one of mine. I've found the home for her I think will give her more attention and where she will be queen, but it's still hard to part with her. By the way, she will be going the a SM member.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I have been trying to get into showing for a long time now. It is no easy task. You really need to start off with the right Maltese and start building proper relationships.

I started off with 3 pets before I figured out that my love of the breed and showing just won't go away. I got Sparkle as a show potential but she turned out too small. Since then I have waited on a few more. For the last 7 months, I have been waiting on a beautiful girl. She sure did turn out beautiful but her bite went off...it's so sad because everything else about her is perfect. The breeder is very disappoined as well.

On the bright side, another breeder had a wonderful litter and is watching for a show hopeful for me. There is also a breeding that just occured and I absolutely LOVE the sire and dam.

So, my advice. Spay Prissy and start learning and talking to breeders. Start learning to grow a coat and maintain a coat. If you love the Maltese breed, you will love the personality of other Maltese. I love each one of Maltese even though they are slightly different but there are traits that remain. I have both Cookie and Sparkle sitting on my lap right now

1 - 5 of 5 Posts