Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm a first time dog owner, Rocky is a maltese/pomeranian mix and my family love him! He is 6 months, we all take turns playing with him and giving him walks. On occasions I've taken him for 40+ minute walks TWICE A DAY! I had the intention of picking him up if he showed signs of fatigue. However, the moment I picked him up he would try to wiggle out of my arms. Is this normal? I was under the impression that maltese only require a 30 or so minute walk a day.

I could take Rocky out 4x a day for 30 minutes each and I doubt he would fatigue. Help please!! :)

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
Welcome to SM!
It sounds like Rocky LOVES to walk. I'm glad his humans are willing to take him on these longish walks - Its good exercise for pup and human. Enjoy this puppy phase of lots of energy. It doesn't last forever. We would love to see pictures of Rocky.

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I remember those days!. Once Pipper finally did fall asleep I would be so careful to not even move or breath for fear of waking him.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:. Even now at 8 1/2 years old he still has a ton of energy and goes for a 45 minute walk at least twice a day.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your replies. He's definitely full of energy. I was worried we were over exercising him, but he just never seems to tire.

After his walks he runs around the house like a mad man lol

I've attached a recent picture of rocky. Hopefully I did it correctly. He's got Pom like ears however his coat is very much maltese.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
Rocky is adorable! Love the picture. Thank you for sharing it with us.
FYI: Those mad man runs around the house are called "zoomies" - Abella also does them a couple times a day. After each time she takes a nap on my lap. LOL!
🐾 🐶

·
Premium Member
5,252 Posts
Thank you for your replies. He's definitely full of energy. I was worried we were over exercising him, but he just never seems to tire.

After his walks he runs around the house like a mad man lol

I've attached a recent picture of rocky. Hopefully I did it correctly. He's got Pom like ears however his coat is very much maltese.
My girls walk 1-2 miles every day. Yesterday, it was 3 miles and they still want to go out for more. Yes, they have lots of energy, and have been conditioned to walk this far since pups.

One thing I would like to bring to your attention.
Walking 40 min. is a lot for a small breed puppy, especially at 6 months, imo.
I would be cautious because a puppy’s growth plates don’t close until they are around 12 months old, it can vary depending on breed (maltese are prone to luxating patellar) and bigger breeds have more joint issues, too, so more caution is advised with them.
My one girl’s physical therapist always said “puppies that experience heavier or long distance exercise too young are more likely to develop joint issues at some point.”
So, I always went with that when exercising my girls when they were that young.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
My girls walk 1-2 miles every day. Yesterday, it was 3 miles and they still want to go out for more. Yes, they have lots of energy, and have been conditioned to walk this far since pups.

<<<One thing I would like to bring to your attention.
I would be cautious because a puppy’s growth plates don’t close until they are around 12 months old, it can vary depending on breed (maltese are prone to luxating patellar) and bigger breeds have more joint issues, too, so more caution is advised with them.
My one girl’s physical therapist always said “puppies that experience heavier or long distance exercise too young are more likely to develop joint issues at some point.”
Yes, exactly what I was going to say. I followed Puppy Culture for my poodles. Here is a chart: AGE APPROPRIATE EXERCISE POSTER

·
Premium Member
5,252 Posts
Elizabeth, great chart!! Can you attach link (chart) you shared again, it’s not very clear from what I’m seeing.
That Said, I could see a bit on pavement, which I forgot about.
To the OP, you should be walking mostly on grass, I can’t remember if dirt was acceptable, I believe it is. Pavement is much too hard on their bones and joints and can cause issues.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

One thing I would like to bring to your attention.
Thank you for this valuable information! Me or my family have ever had a pet before so we are all very new to this.

I was actually quite concerned about overexercising him. We will stay mindful of taking him out for shorter walks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts