Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was making french toast. And I noticed my 14 week old puppy being scared. Normally when she's scared, she goes to me and hides under my arms or legs. But this time... I sat on the ground so she can come to me to find comfort and she would not come to me...she just sat in the corner shaking. And when I tried to pick her up, she peed. She piddles with excitement, first time seeing her pee in fear. And I'm about to cry because I caused her to pee in fear by picking her up. Is she traumatized by me now? She was whining so hard at the gate, near the corner, I had no idea what she wanted because she rarely goes there, so I opened the gate only for her to hide under my bed (this is her first time going under it).

When thinking back, this fear happened 3 times. First time, I was also making french toast, but i just saw her hiding in her crate, and I thought... okay maybe she needs to rest (she sometimes naps in her crate). Second time, my friend was cooking and she started to get fearful and she ran away from me to her crate. I thought... okay maybe it's my friend (new visitor) and I talking, tinkering about, things are too loud so she wants to time out.

Today, I wanted to test some things out. What is it about cooking that she doesn't like? I thought the "tinkering" sound from whipping eggs in a bowl was the factor, but it wasn't. So I was confused. Then when I put the bread on the pan, there was some sizzle and she started to get fearful.

There are two hypothesis. In all three scenarios, butter was used and there were sizzling. She's either:
1) scared of sizzling noise
2) doesn't like the smell of butter (I rarely use butter)

But what's breaking my heart is... why was she scared of me? Hiding in the corner when she normally comes to me for comfort? I never reprimand her, I use positive reinforcement.

It makes me think that maybe she doesn't like the smell of butter, b/c I probably reeked of butter (I season my stainless steel pan with butter, before use, you heat it on high until the butter turns brown and then you wipe it off with paper towel, and you got yourself a non-stick stainless pan, so by this time, i'm probably reeking of butter).

I'm heart broken that I might've just broke all my bond that I built over the three weeks I had with her... Any ideas? Is my bond broken? She's whining under the bed... I have no idea what she needs. I am just leaving her alone b/c she is hiding away from me... Please help.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update: I think she is fine now... she came out of under the bed and came to me and we cuddled. Sorry I'm a first time pet owner and get overly worried and anxious. If anyone had any similar stories, I would love to hear them (I still need to rule out which of the two theories was bugging her).

·
Registered
Kathy & Pipper
6,147 Posts
Has the smoke detector ever went off when you were cooking? If it has, then she might be associating cooking with the smoke detector.

·
Premium Member
2,250 Posts
Sometimes young puppies have strange reactions to new things. :) My only young pup that I've had was worried or afraid of structures or objects with 4 legs -- a mailbox, a planter, one of those signboard structures that people put outside their businesses with signs on them. I'm sure that his instinct told him that something with 4 legs was another animal (especially if another dog had lifted his leg on it). He seemed to eventually get used to them.

Maybe the sound or the smell jogged something in your girl puppy's memory or instincts that was dangerous. My adult dogs love the smell of frying or broiling meat, but their ancient ancestors ate everything raw. :)

·
Super Moderator
10,377 Posts
You may want to do some research and consult a behaviorist about puppy fear imprint periods. Sometimes things that are new and different to them can cause fear reactions during these periods which last throughout their lives, but you can work with positive reinforcement to ease the behavior.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts