Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've narrowed it down to two breeders, with a possible third. I haven't visited any of them yet but I did talk to all of them on the phone for close to an hour. They are all from the AMA breeder list.

Barbara Cuttell of Bar-Tell Maltese
Barbara is my #1 choice. I really liked her. She answered all of my questions and then had me email her any other ones I thought of. She says she is an AMA mentor. She has been breeding for 20 years and produced nearly 50 champions. She shows her dogs. She only has 3-4 litters a year. She has a litter due at the end of the month and another female was breed at the beginning of the month. All of her dogs are raised in house. The earliest she allows the puppies to leave is 12 weeks old. By then they are semi-housebroken and quite social. All the pets are sold with a spay/neuter contract and may not be bred. The males start at $1000.00 and the females start at $1500.00. She has a written contract that includes a health guarantee.

Cheryl Dawn Shoemaker of Babydoll Maltese
Cheryl is my #2 choice. Her females are $2000 and her males are $1800. The price includes all puppy shots and spaying/neuturing. She lets her puppies leave at 3-4 months old. Her dogs average 4-6lbs. For some reason I didn't write done all of her answers. Right now she doesn't have any puppies available. She is going to call me if any become available.

Lucille M. Dillon of Cherubwim's Maltese
Lucille was really nice. If she had any puppies she would be higher on my list. She says she has had a hard time breeding in the last year (had to retire some females and got some new ones). She isn't sure when she will have a new litter. Her males and females are $1,200. She keeps them until they are 5-6 months old. She said she does this because they get to learn more things from their mom and from the other puppies. She also gets to know their personalities more, so she can make sure they are going to the right home. They will have all of their puppy shots, except for rabies. She recommends hold off on that as long as possible. She took my name and number and is going to call me if anything becomes available.

So, right now I'm waiting to hear if anything becomes available. I'm thinking of visiting my first 2 choices next month. Barbara is 4 hours NW of me so I can do that on some Saturday or Sunday. Cheryl lives in a suburb of Kansas City. My aunt also lives a suburb of Kansas City. I'm planning on visiting her sometime in April or May, so I might set up a time to visit then.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Awww, they all seem great! GOOD LUCK!

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Good luck!!! I've been doing the same to find a Yorkie and while it's a lot more grunt work than opening the paper up like I did to find Tuffy, I feel so much better that the results are going to so be worth it. :D

Are you trying for a boy or girl this time around?

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would like another little girl (have a name I really like), but if I find a male that gets along with Lexi I won't be against it. I've just never had a male dog.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Good for you. You've made lots of progress!

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm so trying to not rush into this but dang the wait is hard. I'm hoping that Barbara will have a puppy for me. At least then I only have to wait until June/July to get it. I don't know if I could stand waiting longer.

I still haven't told my parents I looking into getting another puppy. I figure I'll wait until I know there is one available before I start that arguement with them.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Why will they argue with you? You live on your own now, don't you? And just got a big raise?? :D

I know you bring Lexi with you when you visit them. Will that be a problem?

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh, they will just think it is too much money. They had a big fit about spending $600 on a dog (that is how much Lexi was). Lexi was also my first big purchase that I made with out my parents input.

My family is really close. I'm the only girl so they baby me a little. They just don't want me to stretch my budget too much. My parents love Lexi and my mom knows I want to get another maltese some day. They just don't know that some day kind of moved up to this year.

They will be fine with it though. They just have my best interest at heart.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Wow you're so organized and well informed
I'm impressed. GOOD LUCK!!! with your search
Can't wait til Lexi has a cute lil sibling. I'm voting for a girl, btw

1 - 19 of 19 Posts