Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Max and Minnie aren't aggressive :mellow: They've had occasions where they were good with big breeds (labs, my friend's dogs, etc.) but usually they either growl a little or start barking and I have to continue walking. I had a guy walking two Golden retrievers inform me as he walked by that "your dog is aggressive." Sheesh :angry:

I'm not saying that Minnie's barking is good behavior.. but she's still a puppy and I'm still trying to work on this ... just frustrates me when a stranger thinks he "knows" and is so rude.. I wouldn't tell someone that "their dog is aggressive" because I wouldn't know anything about their dog :w00t:

:smilie_tischkante:

does anyone have any suggestions with this behavior? It only shows up ever so often ...

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Probably his way of being a smart a$s since the implication would actually be you were nervous around his big dogs ;P Water of a duck's back...fuggedaboudit ;)

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Probably his way of being a smart a$s since the implication would actually be you were nervous around his big dogs ;P Water of a duck's back...fuggedaboudit ;)
haha funny though i love big dogs :) and think my dogs were more noisy ...

this is what happens when my two meet a big dog
1. tail wagging they both go to the dog
2. they sniff each other
3. minnie starts barking which causes max to bark :blink:

.... are there underlying causes for this?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I see this post was a few weeks ago :) but I'll add my 2 cents anyway. Hows this behavior coming along?

It could be many types of aggression "sorry for using that word but this is what they would call it"

It could be fear aggression towards some dogs ."Or territory, dog to dog ETC." I would personally keep training dog obedience and keep the dogs focused on you as your passing other dogs. You have to be more interesting than the distractions outside especially other dogs. The "look or watch me command" is excellent for this your pups will be focused on you when distractions are around. You can also have them do basic commands to distract them as dogs pass. This is not going to take a week or two to solve stay positive and it would work. You never mentioned the pups ages?

good luck hope this helps a bit....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts