Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received a letter from my vet letting me know she's decided to be a full time mom to her little girl. I'm so upset. I can't even begin to describe all the emotions going through me. She is simply the best. She trusted my instincts and knew I could read my babies and discern what was going on. She was open to holistic ways of treatment when appropriate. She returned my calls without fail. I trust her completely. Zoe was in terrible shape last year after her dental when my vet was on maternity leave. I did not get the treatment or care for her like I do with my vet and I don't trust the others at that clinic. The new vet may be ok, but he's not open to anything holistic. I don't have many options for vets in my area. I don't know what I'm going to do now. Maybe move to LA near Dr. Jaimie. SERIOUSLY!

I can't believe how this is affecting me! I'm sad and frightened and mad all at once. Plus some other emotions going on in there I've yet to define. :(

·
Premium Member
13,418 Posts
That's so disappointing Crystal, can she recommend anyone besides the vets at her clinic? she must know someone, who can at least provide some sort of consulting service?

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
I'm sorry, Crystal. I know how hard it is to find a good vet that you trust. I'll be thinking positive thoughts for you to find a good vet for your babies.

·
Premium Member
10,319 Posts
I hate it for you Crystal. It is so hard to find a good vet or doctor for yourself and when you do, and they leave, you feel so disapointed and hurt. I would call her before she leaves and ask her to recommend someone......that is the best you can do. When my last doctor left his practice I was so upset. I would not even look for another one. In the last year, I have found another and I just pray nothing happens to her!!! She is terrific, so don't give up on finding another vet. One will come along!!!:aktion033:

·
Premium Member
17,343 Posts
Crystal -- I completely understand how you feel and how upset you are. My vet is excellent, but I had to search for one that was.

I think to me personally, my vet is even more important to me than my own doctor. So many don't want to listen to the furbutt's Mom and yet, we really know when something isn't right.

I pray that you can find another vet that you can trust and work with.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
I'm so sorry...I know how bad it must be FINALLY having someone to trust, and now they are leaving. :( Perhaps she can refer you to someone? Afterall, if she trusts another vet, they must be okay.

·
Registered
17,036 Posts
Oh Crystal I feel so bad for you. I agree with Diane, try to get a good recommendation from her before she leaves. Maybe she would consider being your own "private" vet. Try to stay calm so you can think your way through this situation.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Oh, no! I went through five vets before I found Dr. Suzy and Dr. Chessie in Raleigh. I know Lady would not be alive today if it weren't for them. I was devastated when I moved down here two years ago. The vet I found is good, but mostly listens to me and goes along with the program/medications Lady is already on. She refers people to the vet school for more complicated issues.

Great vets are hard to find.

·
Super Moderator
10,174 Posts
Oh Crystal, I'm so sorry! I know how important that relationship is for our babies well-being and how hard it is to feel comfortable with just any vet. Hopefully you'll find someone new and absolutely wonderful!

·
Premium Member
6,469 Posts
oh no Crystal!!! This is terrible! It seems like there is bad news today all around in the 'dog service' area. I really hope that you are able to find someone you like or you trust - I agree with everyone else. Can you get a referral?

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
aww crystal we would love to have u but im sure ur vet can give u a good name. there r some moments i think of moving ...and then i think of all the clients like u who need me and that keeps me going. but def ask ur vet in private...i know if someone asked me i would give them an honest answer.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
I'm sorry Crystal to hear about this. I sort of understand as my vet recently quit her job in February to open up a new clinic this summer-so I had to go to the other Vet who is an expat/foreigner here which naturally gave me some reservations as he was 'new' to us, but I have to say it has truly worked out for the best as he's a great Vet. We've seen him about 3/4 times now and I could not be happier with him, in fact I'm just going to stay with him now instead of going back to her new clinic. I hope you find another person that you begin to like and have trust in as I did. Good luck!

·
Registered
903 Posts
I know this has to be driving you crazy....sure hope you can find a vet you feel confident with....good luck...hugs...

·
Registered
842 Posts
That really sucks! I was kind of in an opposite situation. We had been going to the same vet for 15 years with 3 of my different pets. But after we lost Andy we started going to a new vet.
Our old vet had bought the practice from the original vet that we LIKED. And it was right down the street, you could literally have walked to it. And we just weren't fond of the new vet for various reasons. We didn't want to start taking Andy to new place because he had gone there all his life and both doctors knew him. And we always got good care, he just had no bedside manner. And irritable with us, that kind of thing. And apparently a lot of other patients...so I've heard.

But when we got Nelson we started taking him to a place someone my mom worked with recommended. OMG it was like night and day. We LOOOOVE her. Granted its about 20 min away by car, but it's worth it.
So I'm sure you could find another vet out there. I just stated asking everyone I know that had pets where they went. Read reviews online. And went with it. It does suck though having to find a new one while you have a dog. Where as we just started fresh with our new puppy, new vet. But best of luck looking! Look in the white pages in your area, a lot of them have reviews and stuff. And talk to everyone around you! And ask the vet, I'm sure she could suggest SOMEONE atleast in the meantime, until you find someone you like better even?

·
Premium Member
8,106 Posts
Sorry, Crystal. Sounds like somebody new has very big shoes to fill. I pray it all works and you find someone you can love.

It's not nearly the same, but, my groomer is moving away in 2 months. I'm freaking out.
xoxoxoxoxooxoxox

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Oh my....I would feel the same way Rocky's vet. I can't imagine how uneasy you must feel. I would ask people you see take excellent care of their dogs who their vet is. If they take care of their dogs, they usually go to a good vet. Well, that's my observation anyway. Hope you find a great one soon.

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
Oh Crystal, I can only imagine how you feel and I know what a wonderful Mommy you are too. Like everyone said, grab her before she goes, maybe even make an appt with her, so you get a chance to be able to talk one on one with her and see if she can make a reccomendation, knowing all that you wish for in a vet. I bet she gives you really good suggestions. In my thoughts.

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
What a BUMMER. I know how much you raved and loved your vet. Geez Crystal. I'm so sorry. As others suggested, hopefully she can recommend another vet. I'm in the process of finding a new vet myself. It's highly stressful.

Take a deep breathe and try to relax. Stay postive. Yes, it's back to the drawing board but stay hopeful that another wonderful vet will come along. Hugs to you my friend xoxo

1 - 20 of 25 Posts