Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my first "block" (rotation) in small animal medicine is over. I cant say it went smoothly...i had a rough time. i seemed to have some pretty bad luck and 4 of my 8 patients didn't make it. it wasnt n e thing i did, just my bad luck. it didnt help with my confidence. i was surprised how fast the news spread in the school. i would walk down the halls and ppl i didnt see that often would tell me how sorry they were. But i did end up truely saving the life of one little pup. it was a great way to end the block. she is a 15 mo old schnauser named Sophie. she got a hold of some rat poisoning that the owner didnt know was under a bed. her previous vet didnt think that was the problem b/c she wasnt responding to the treatment he was giving so he sent her to us. but we determined it was the only thing it could be and the woman did find the rat poisoning under the bed but did not know if she ate it. well she was bleeding under her skin pretty bad, drooling blood...had a huge hematoma (blood filled pocket) under her tongue..that made it so big she couldnt close her mouth. well we went into action and she made a speedy recovery. one more day and she wouldnt have made it. she was a lucky girl. she made me remember why i wanted to be a veterinarian. i was begining to doubt my self with all my bad luck. but after those kisses she gave me when we were with her mom, I knew i was where i wanted to be. her mom/owner said she was kissing me to thank me for saving her life
here is a pic of me and sophie!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Oh, what a great story (and great photo) about Sophie! Thanks for the update and I'm sorry about the other dogs not making it.... that is too bad but it certainly is part of being a vet, so at least now you know you can live through it and move on to helping others.... best of luck in your future assignments!

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
It sounds so exciting. I did my 1st clinical year last year. It was full of excitement but also sadness. I watched 2 people die, one of whom I did chest compressions on and he still died from pulmonary embolism. It was the sadest thing that ever happened to me because it sort of unfolded suddenly and this man died in 20 minutes. My research year is almost over and its time to finish my last year of med school.

Just today I spoke with a vet surgical intern who assisted on my baby's surgery. She seemed very knowledgable.

I wish you all the best!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
I am SO proud of you! Keep your chin up!!! You are going to be WONDERFUL!
We all need great vets like you!!!!

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
What a great picture of you and Sophie !! Im sorry you had such a bad start,but you had a wonderful ending
You are going to be a GREAT VET.
tlunn is right we are Very Proud of you!!!!

·
Registered
3,483 Posts

You are TOTALLY the <span style="color:red">Good Job, Girl! Make us proud[/B]

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
I would imagine that the cases you get are problem ones coming in on referral, so don't get discouraged about the ratio. I think it's wonderful what you did for Sophie. I loved seeing the picture of you loving on her. Keep up the good work.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
That's great about Sophie!!!! Sweet pic too!!!! I'm glad you didn't get discouraged by the animals who didn't make it. It's so hard to see it happening in front of you, but just remember about all the animals you can save. You're gonna be an AWESOME vet, and all those animals are sooooo lucky to have you too!!!!! It's good to hear from you!!!

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Awww, what a great story!
That is really great that you saved her life!
You will be a WONDERFUL vet.
It is frustrating to lose pts, but just know that you are doing the best that you can do, and sometimes that isnt enough. If you were closer, I would definantely bring Caese into you!
Keep up the fantastic work and I am very glad you had an experience that allowed u you realize that being a vet is definantely your place in life.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Congratulations!
I'm so glad to hear about your story.
It brings a smile to my face. :D Keep up the good work!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts