Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wrote under the post "The Cough" about the weird noises and odd breathing that Mugsy had been making. I have discovered that it was from his greenies. This mystery was solved purely by accident. He had not had his greenie for a while and the noises stopped. I didn't relate it to the greenies until I gave him one and the hacking and noises began again. I think the little pieces must get caught in his airways. He eventually gets it all down, but it's not a pretty sight and it can take days ! I had been giving them to him quite often ever since we got him at 10 weeks. I think I will only give him one again on rare occasion for a special treat.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Originally posted by The Nanny@Dec 10 2004, 03:30 PM
I wrote under the post "The Cough" about the weird noises and odd breathing that Mugsy had been making.  I have discovered that it was from his greenies.  This mystery was solved purely by accident.  He had not had his greenie for a while and the noises stopped.  I didn't relate it to the greenies until I gave him one and the hacking and noises began again.  I think the little pieces must get caught in his airways.  He eventually gets it all down, but it's not a pretty sight and it can take days !  I had been giving them to him quite often ever since we got him at 10 weeks.  I think I will only give him one again on rare occasion for a special treat. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=21959
[/QUOTE]
Awww poor guy I am so glad you figured out what was making him cough!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by The Nanny@Dec 10 2004, 04:30 PM
I wrote under the post "The Cough" about the weird noises and odd breathing that Mugsy had been making.  I have discovered that it was from his greenies.  This mystery was solved purely by accident.  He had not had his greenie for a while and the noises stopped.  I didn't relate it to the greenies until I gave him one and the hacking and noises began again.  I think the little pieces must get caught in his airways.  He eventually gets it all down, but it's not a pretty sight and it can take days !  I had been giving them to him quite often ever since we got him at 10 weeks.  I think I will only give him one again on rare occasion for a special treat. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=21959
[/QUOTE]

Poor baby...glad you figured it out...

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I purchased the greenies individually, so there was no bag, no instructions. Mugsy was chewing on one when he went to our vet at 11 weeks and the vet said they were the best thing for him. He said they are great for his teeth & breath. He gave no warning, so I kept giving them to him. It seems that the vet doesn't know very much about small breeds, call me naive, but how can that be if he is a vet?

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
My vet didn't say anything about age or anything either...also said they were great...Brinkley was about 17 weeks when we bought them.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
My vet did tell me to watch Sunny while he has one i mean have any of you actully ever seems the lilbits or whatever they are called in stores? oh well i guess i am lucky i found a vet that knows about little dogs picked him becuase they have a giant picture of a maltese in the lobby lol i know its kinda stupid but it gave me a little piece of mind

·
Registered
199 Posts
Originally posted by Lilly521@Dec 10 2004, 09:47 PM
My vet did tell me to watch Sunny while he has one i mean have any of you actully ever seems the lilbits or whatever they are called in stores? oh well i guess i am lucky i found a vet that knows about little dogs picked him becuase they have a giant picture of a maltese in the lobby lol i know its kinda stupid but it gave me a little piece of mind
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=22040
[/QUOTE]

I have seen the lil bits in petsmart in my area. I think they are by the individual greenies in little packages. It would probably be about as much as a small greenie ground up but there are directions telling how much to give your dog by weight. Bella eats greenies fine. She has started hiding more than eathing these days though. They are everywhere!

Nicolle

1 - 7 of 7 Posts