Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Naddie and I did the "Mickey's Mile" dog walk to support Purdue University's research on Canine Cancer today. It was VERY hot but both humans and doggies fared fine! I even put Naddie into the creek at the half-mile mark ( though I think she thought it was just a giant bath tub of which she isn't too fond!) I only put her feet in and splashed water up onto her tummy to be she she didn't get overheated.

It was fun to watch all those doggies who really LOVED getting right in and there and swim around...all sizes and shapes... all like a bunch of kids at a day camp LOL
Doggies were given a bag of 'goodies' including water bowls, bandanas, gourmet treats from a local dog bakery and several little odds and ends.
We went with a friend who has a darling Scottie and he's a real mellow little guy and Naddie and he looked so cute walking side by side...he so black and she white.

Naddie really loves this event!! Have a cute photo of her 'charming' one of the vendors...if I can remember how to attach I'll do it.
If any of you have a chance to attend one of these dog-walk fund raisers I strongly advise to attend. A great time and at the same time helping a great cause.
Naddie and her buddie, Angus
IMG_2189.jpg
Naddie 'charming' one of the vendors
IMG_2182.jpg

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
Thanks for taking part in such a great cause. :chili: It is really tough when the weather doesn't cooperate with these events but people and dogs make the best of it. Can you say doggie paddle? :HistericalSmiley: Love the photo in black and white.:wub::wub:

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Looks like you both had a blast! How did you found out about it? I don't know if there are any around here, but I'm not sure where I'd need to go to hear about them...

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Awesome! I am so glad you and Naddie went ! That looks like so much fun, and for such a good cause!

·
Premium Member
8,106 Posts
This is for beautiful Naddie and Angus:

Glad it was a great time, Terry!
xoxoxoxoxoxoox

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone for the replies!
... and Kerry I have always LOVED that song!!
We have several dogwalks-events in our area from Spring thru Fall... many in support of rescues & causes some such as the Fala Gala geared a lot to Scottie and Westie breeds and quite a Gaelic celebration) . This is due to President Roosevelt's Scottie, Fala, and the roosevelt estate is only about 20 mins from here... though held at the nearby estate of the lady who presented the president with Fala.

Most events are posted at our local vets and of course too spread by word of mouth.
If there aren't such events in your area, it would be good to suggest to your local rescues to start one. Mickey's Mile gets bigger attendence every year I think as the word gets around.
You pay $20 per dog to register to walk. I don't know if vendors pay for their 'site' or not. I know many local businesses/orgs donate items for a raffle at the end. They have a long table and each item has a 'paw-print' box behind it . We get double type tickets and you put the one in whichever box behind the item you'd like to win. There has been everything from Gold's Gym gift certificates, to pet photography to doggie themed gift baskets. Today even a 'Coach' dog collar had been donated ( but was for a bigger dog)
All along the walk were white balloon clusters w/ paw prints and by them wooden bone shaped signs with various quotes or sayings related to dogs ...very cute. All along the walk were big bowls of water for the dogs ( humans receive free bottles of water) We get supplied with poop bags and of course several trash bins to toss them in. They have it well organized!

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Thank you so much for sharing! That would be a wonderful fundraiser for around here. I have a friend that volunteers at one of the many shelters quite often, so I'll be talking to her about the possibility of this. :D Sounds like a great deal for everyone involved!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts