Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oh thank you all!!
Little Nadia is now home with us.. I had learned even more about this poor poor little girls background. Honestly it is a heartbreaker. I was given the number of the lady that saved her from a shelter in SC. Nadia was to be euthanized the next day!!!!!
I called her last night and had to thank her for saving little Nadia's life and nursing her to health!
I am going to share here some of Nadia's background.. I feel it is so important to let people know just what a wonderful job these rescue people do.. they surely are special and the public needs to know just how much the abused, neglected, and abandoned animals are dependant upon their merciful work. They need our support and so do the animals!!!
Nadia was a severe neglect/abuse case. They planned to prosecute but found she was turned in from NC and so out of the jurisdiction.
Nadia was extremely thin.. she couldn't eat!! the mats had "fused" her mouth shut but for a small opening where she could "scoop" something soft with her tongue. She could hardly see.. as one eye was completely obscured due to the matting... the other not much better!
They said she had been surrendered, not a stray, so somebody had actually allowed her to get into such a deplorable condition... and apparently knew enough that they took her "over the border" to SC where they couldn't be made to be accountable were they "traced". OR they thought it was possible someone simply knew the neglect and just took her, placed her in hopes she would get help, but didn't want to get further involved than that. They didn't even know she was white!.. she was brown !!and due to the matting they couldn't tell the breed... ( the matting was all of 4 " thick!!) She actually was put down as chi-mix!!
Then due to the fact her mats were so closely knotted to the skin.. she suffered clipper burns over a large portion of her body.. but they didn't have much choice.
There was a huge ball of mat at her rump, making potty extremely difficult and in fact it was filled with urine and fecal matter. There was actually a cockroach! living there and that was eating her flesh in that area!
The fosters that nursed Nadia to health, both physically and 'emotionally" are certainly angels of mercy to her.
I have to say.. even if people are not "equipped" to adopt an abandoned pooch.. please please donate to these rescue groups.. They take the pooches on first,... and worry about the finances later.. many times meaning the care comes from their own pockets and they can only hope they will get re-imbursed... and when they do.. it only goes on to the next needy pet.
I have always admired rescuers, and fosters.. but now having a real first-hand experience, I do so , even more !
I can only hope to provide to little Nadia the love, care, and feeling of security she so deserves. She is a real sweetie-pie and though seems a bit "confused" ( and probably wondering "where am I now?!!" as she has had to be shuffled around a bit.. and was adopted onced but turned back! ..supposedly because she was "aggressive" to the other dog there. I think that is BUNK!! She was in, in the home where we picked her up, with 3 other dogs and a couple of cats and she was totally fine.. The SC lady said she has SEVERAL!!! dogs and Nadia was fine.. last night Nadia met our neighbors dog.. Nadia was fine!! I think they might have "expected" little Natia to immediately be the "perfect" dog.
Nadia has some "issues".. she was completely potty trained but we have had a couple of accidents.. ( may have been the REAL! reason the other turned her back. Nadia has already improved.. how can she go to the door.. if she doesn't know WHAT DOOR!! to go to or where it is??!! Anyay, I think that is something we will get resolved soon. if not.. we go to doggie-diapers.. no big deal!

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Oh my poor Nadia, what a terrible past. She is so lucky that you took her in. Now she will have a wonderful life, which she deserves. You are a wonderful person
Can't wait to see pictures of her at your home..

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
OMG..... What a story! It is just heartbreaking. But her luck has turned now that she has you for her new mommy! I'm soooo glad you have this new little one in your life.

On the potty training... You may want to check with Jackie but I believe she would say to start over potty training her as if she were a puppy. I'm sure she'll "get it" but will just need some training.

I can't wait to see lots of pictures and hear lots of Nadia stories!!!!!

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
What a long and difficult journey little Nadia has had on her way to her forever home with you!

So she's a southern belle from North Carolina, huh? It's so funny how Missy, Lady and now Nadia are all somehow connected. (For those of you who don't know, Missy was dx with diabetes just a few months after Lady and that's when Terry and I found out we are both from Dutchess County, New York! I lived only about 15 minutes from her for 15 years!)

Don't worry about the potty training. Lady was supposedly completely housebroken when I adopted her and the first thing she did when I brought in her inside was poop and pee on my carpet! I have spoken to many rescue people who say that it's always back to "Potty Training 101" with a new rescue and that is a big part of foster care. They are just so bewildered and confused, as you say, Nadia doesn't even know where the door IS! I treated Lady just as I would a puppy, kept her confined to a small area, never left her unsupervised, took her out after meals, etc. and she figured it out. It was especially hard with her since she had never walked on grass before or on a leash. She would only pee on sidewalks for the first year!

An absolutely fabulous book to read is Secondhand Dog by Carol Benjamin. It really helps understand what goes on in the mind of a rescue and how to deal with the common problems. You can have any bookstore order it and it's a cheapie - only about $8 or so.

I am so excited for the three of you as you begin this wonderful journey together!

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
Nadia' life has turned around for the better. She is so fortunate to have you as her new mom. There is a special place in heaven for people like you and a place in he*l for people who let who get like she was!

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
What a truly sad story, with such a wonderful ending. I am so happy Nadia is with you. It's heart breaking to see these little ones in such poor condition. After being dropped off, Daisy spent the first two days in the hospital. I often wonder what is going thru their little minds.

The potty thing will work out in time. The first thing Daisy did, when dropped off, was tinkle on the carpet. The next day a few more tinkles and a couple of poops. I believe she tinkled in my bed as well. Hard to tell with five of them there. It took her a few days to get back to her routine. Henry, on the other hand, was never really trained. He was surrendered to rescue because of his potty problem. It's been a few months and we're still having a heck of a time. So the Belly-Band, aka: Man-Pants, go on. As you said, "No big deal".

Big Hugs to Nadia

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Nadia will now get to see what love and "life" really is.
She will soon forget her past and live each day to get your love and affection.
You and her rescuers are her angels.
Good luck with the struggles ahead. I am sure both of you will be fine!

·
Registered
17,045 Posts
Oh Terri, I will say it again, you are an angel in disguise. What a sweet thing to open up Missy's home to a new little girl. Nadia truly needed you. I'm sure that with a little love and patience she will get with the potty program in no time at all. Nadia's story is so sad. I can not for the life of me understand how anyone can let a little helpless doggie get into such bad shape. Why does this type of person even get a dog? I'll bet she will become your best gir-r-r friend almost over night. And when she gets used to her grooming she will prance around like a little carosel (sp?) pony....so proud and pretty.

Now we just need you to add Nadia to your profile and show us her new pictures. I know you have already made pictures. :D

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi all.. yes, thank you for the good wishes for little Nadia. I'm at work.. nadia has been with me for a bit but also want her to be used to being alone with "daddy".. I think she has had a lot of women..niot a lot of men.. though she already does love him and did hop up into the chair with him this morning..
Have to quick bact to work.. but have to share one "cute-Nadia-story"

Last night I went into the guest room to get a bag of "goodies" we had purchased for her.. and i simply tossed on the chair in there when we got home. Nadisa was right behind me.. and lickity-split jumped up on the bed. Ther was one little stuffed animal there by the pillows.. She went to it.. grabbed it.. took it to the edge of the bed. dropped it to the floor.. and proceded to go lay where the little stuffed animal was sitting" .. so cute! it cracked me up!!
Ok gotta run!! ... gotta get some money to pay the "doggie-store" bill that will soon be coming ; )

·
Registered
17,045 Posts
Oh what a cute little story. See there, she already feels at home! She is going to be such a happy little girl.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
What a wonderful story! She was saying, "Mommy, you don't need a pretend pet anymore. Your real live little girl is finally here!"

Will you keep the name Nadia or change it? Was it her real name or just a name she acquired along her journey?

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Oh that story with the stuffed animal says so much.... she feels right at home and wants to be your one and only! That is just so cute!!!

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Awww
I am so delighted to see that Nadia has such a wonderful new chance at true love and nurturing in her life. You're an angel

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Terry,

It is so wonderful to hear you talk of this little angel....one that was obviously sent by Missy herself for you and your husband to love...I am smiling and just happy inside to know that this little girl is going to have a wonderful life, now that she is with you.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Terry, how are things going with Nadia... ? You had mentioned she had tested positive for heartworm. Has she already been through the treatment for that?

Hope all is going well....

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Terry, I am at my daughter's and trying to catch up on internet. Your thread tugs at my heart! How old do you think Nadia is? You are so wonderful and special. I am just astounded at this whole story. Bless your heart!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts