Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What brand nail clipper do you use? Does it work well? Which one do you think is the best?

I was looking at CAT nail clippers an they look perfect for a maltese.. but it does say it is for CATS.. just wondeirng if anyone has used cats nail clippers also.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I also use the kind Nichole's husband didn't like, though I do find them kid of scary, I always feel like I am going to cut Tiki's nails to short. I don't clip to often though.... I put this in a previous post:

For Tiki I very seldom have to trim his claws. He goes for a walk on lead about 3 times a day.... at least once a day we will walk past a yard with other dogs that are going crazy, running up and down the fence, barking. Tiki won't bark back, but he will try to pull and run along the fence. I have him on a harness so I just keep it tight; sort of like he is running in place. I started doing this because the vet said that the less I react, sooner or later he will give up and just walk by these yards. Anyway... because he does this he files his nails on the side walk

.[/B]
He is still pulling when we take walks so very little clipping for me. :D

Judi

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
at petsmart, they use these scissor type of clippers. they look like cat scissors, but i have no clue. at home i bought the guillotine type....but since i made sprite bleed ONCE--cynthia wont let me cut their nails. that type was fast, but its sorta scary because you have to get it perfect,and hope that they dont move.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
I bought a small scissors like nail clippers. I think it said for small dogs or cats on the packaging. I had never clipped a dog's nails before and this type just looked like it had more control. I asked one of the groomers at PetCo which is better and she said to find you that felt comfortable to you. I opened the packaging for 3 different ones and the small scissors type felt best. I also bought some of the powder that stops bleeding. So far I have not had any problems. Lexi does not like me to play with her feet so I usually only get a couple of nails done before she gets really wiggly. So it takes me a couple of days to get all of them done.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Lexi's mom,

Try doing her nails while you have her wrapped in a towel after her bath. Only pull one paw out at a time, holding her close to you so she can't wiggle out. The nails will be a little easier to clip since they have been softened by the bath water. You can give her a tiny treat after each paw is done
. I got these hints from a friend who has a Chihuahua.

Judi

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
I did a combination of both suggestions I started out by wrapping Lexi in a towel (she was not happy with this) and giving her a cheerio after each nail. Finally I just placed a small pile (5-6 cheerios) on the arm of the couch and let her eat as I cut the nails on one side of her body. Then I moved to the other side of the couch and turned Lexi so that she faced that way and repeated the process with the other side.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I first had the guilatine type which I had no control over and they did a bad job. Then I watched the girl at the vet office clip the nails with little siccer type nail clippers. I went to the pet store and the same clippers were both in the bird area as bird nail clippers and in the cat area as cat nail clippers! They just package them up with different animal photos!

Anyway, I have much more contol using the dog/cat/bird nail clippers! :D

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Oh, I forgot. Last night while I was clipping Lexi's nails I got the tip of the vein on one nail. Luckly it didn't bleed much and I had the powder stuff right there. Lexi didn't even realize it so that made me feel better. It was on the last foot I had to cut so she was really wiggly. It was a pain getting her to hold still long enough to pull the fur back from her foot so I could see which nail was bleeding and put the powder on it. It stopped bleeding within 30 seconds or so.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you all so much!

I think I will get the scissor kind with the "hole" in the middle! Thanks again you all really helped

J

·
0 Posts
I too use the scissor kind. After Lacey's bath I wrap her in a towel and take one paw out at a time and clip the hair between her pads and clip the nails. I keep the powder close by in case I clip a nail to close and she is bleeding. I think you just need to get used to doing this and also the "babies" need to get used to it. When I first started doing this Lacey would wiggle and try to get out of the towel. Now she knows and she pretty much stays still. Usually by the fourth paw she is wanting to get down and get away from me but I tell her this is the price for being so beautiful.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts