Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just came back from a little shopping with Max. I got the bissel hand held spot remover. I liked it because it was small and cordless. The only thing is, I have read so many places that steam cleaning can set the oder in the carpet? True??

OK, I went to PetSmart and got a doggy nail clipper for ten bucks for small dogs. Then I went to Stop and Shop (I was bad, I brought Max in with me) and I saw human infant nail clipper for one dollar. When I got home, I sat Max on my lap and tried the dollar baby cliipper....NEVER have I EVERY had such an EASY time clipping a dogs nails. The clipper is so small your palm covers it so there is nothing the dog can go try to chew away at...like he does when I comb him. I am taking the ten dollar nail clipper back to PetSmart....the baby clipper is soooooooooo much easier....and he let me do it...he could hardly see the clipper in my hand....(non threatening tiny device = excellent!!!)

Thanks Noel's future mommy for suggesting it. Its the best dollar I ever spent. Cool!!

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Thanks Noel's future mommy for suggesting it. Its the best dollar I ever spent. Cool!![/B]

Well I am soo glad to know they worked so well. Gives me a little less to stress about

BUT I can't take the credit for the suggestion...SaltyMalty suggested it to me. She said that is what she used.

·
Registered
285 Posts
maybe i should get one..

my boyfriend accidentally got the big one.. and it feels like i'm trying to trim leise's nails with a lawn mower..

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
I am so glad that it worked well for you. My vet suggested it since their nails are so small. Valletta never sees it coming...where I think she would be afraid of the doggie nail clipper. To me it looks way too big and possibly easier to cut the quick. With the baby clipper, you have much more control. I usually clip her nails in the bath when I can easily part the hair out of the way. Just remember to clip the dew claw, if you dog has one. I find that the easiest as Valletta's dew claw is flatter than the rest. I do that one first and she doesn't even flinch.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, thank you Salty Malty, too! I am glad you guys repeat some tips here and there for those of us that might have missed it the first time.

I was soooo nervous about cutting his nails and they had gotten so long and sharp. I deffinitely got them all. They are DEFFINITELY much more easy to handle than regular pet cutters. One of the greatest things is he can barely see the cliipper wich makes cutting so much easier. I think the regular clipper looks more threatening to them.

One of the best tips I learned here so far. Thank you both.!!

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
YOUR NERVOUS? LOL

OMG I have not even cut my kids nails since my now seven year old was about a month old. I clipped his finger tip and haven't done the nails sence I always make my hubby do both boys. LOL

SO i am freaked out about the nails. LOL...I ask my nail tech if she would do them for me hehehe

·
Registered
251 Posts
<span style="color:#993399"><div align="center">That is a pretty good idea. Thank you for sharing this with us!! Now if there was some miracle that would allow me to comb Satine! I do have a question now that I think about this. How do I get rid of the tangles on her belly hair. Also, she has a huge knot near her butt. She will absolutely refuse to let me try and comb it out. I am running out of ideas and I need help!!</span>

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
<span style="color:#993399"><div align="center">That is a pretty good idea. Thank you for sharing this with us!! Now if there was some miracle that would allow me to comb Satine! I do have a question now that I think about this. How do I get rid of the tangles on her belly hair. Also, she has a huge knot near her butt. She will absolutely refuse to let me try and comb it out. I am running out of ideas and I need help!!
</span>[/B][/QUOTE]

Well, Max has very little hair on his belly. The ones that stick together I lightly comb (plastic) while I have him in my arms and am rubbing his belly. Try not to let him see the comb. His wee wee hair I always trim off while he thinks I am rubbing his belly.

He has gotten better with not being so jumpy when I comb him out. I let him play with the brush and combs so they don't look as threatening to him...and he doesn't only see them when I am picking at him. I sometimes keep one finger in his mouth (he is teething now) while I use the other hand to comb him out...keeps him occupied so he can't "attack" the comb or brush. I prefer the comb because its smaller and less threatening looking. The scissor is round tipped and small so, sometimes he doesn't even notice it.

If the knott is by his poopy hole...I cut alot around that area so nothing can really get caught there. Try to use some conditioner and water and soak a bit with your fingers and try to work it out without her noticing what you are doing...like your peting her...then gently try to comb it out. Max gets tiny knots where his tail curls up....I try to keep on top of it so it doesn't get bigger.

He is getting better at letting me pick his eye goo and hair now too. As long as it doesn't hurt, they grow to trust you with it. So be extremely gentle while they are adjusting. If he is too jerky, I just save it for another time when he is more calm.

Let us know how she is adapting.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
I keep a very small set of professional cutical scissors for cutting out the matts that are really bad. Fortunately I don't have to use them all that often, but particularly on her belly, the knots can get bad. I first drench the area with detangler and try to comb out the hair gently. I grab just behind the matt and start to separate using the first tooth of my comb as a pick. If it's too much, I just take the very small scissors and gently clip it out as close to the knot as possible. Usually I can pick apart 75% of the matt and I just have to clip a small section of a few hairs. One thing that really helps to keep knots and matts at hand is daily brushing and combing. Also, don't let your pet wear their harness indoors. One other thing you can do is keep the belly trimmed short, even if the rest of the body is long. My groomer calls it a silhouette cut.

·
Registered
251 Posts
<span style="color:#993399"><div align="center">Thank you for your responses. I will have to try again tonight with trying to get these tangles out. Last night I did have the chance to trim her a little bit so I'm glad about that. She didn't figet at all.</span>

1 - 11 of 11 Posts