Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<span style="color:#993399"><div align="center">I was playing with my little furbaby after she woke up and I started to rub her back, right paw. I felt something pointy/sharp and felt it move like it was loose. Well, took a look at it and it's a nail and where it's attached to is like a purplish red lump. I am not sure if it's supposed to be there and I'm just being paranoid. I just wanted to check with you guys. Anyways, it isn't on her other back paw and it's not where the other nails are. It's too the right side if you have her on her back and looking at her. Does anyone know if this is where it's supposed to be and am I just being paranoid?</span>

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Where on her foot is it? You said it was the back paw right?

Sounds like like a dew claw but i think i've only heard of them on the front legs. Maybe they have them on the back too. Both my girls had them removed.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
yep it sound like your puppy has a due claw.. It's normal. Noting to worry about.
Normally some breeders will remove it and some don't. Chelsey has both due claws on her font paws. You just need to make sure that it is trimed and does not get caught on anything. I normally trim her nails once every two weeks.

Here is some information:

Dog claws should be trimmed around every 2-3 months depending on growth, although indoor pets may need more frequent attention. Dogs that have access to concrete or hard surfaces will need less as they will naturally wear down on these surfaces or by walking them on foot paths. Dog claws naturally wear down through normal activity, but when kept indoors, often need them trimmed more often as they are not as active and generally walk on softer surfaces. When dog claws are too long you may hear them click as they walk across a hard surfaced floor. This is a sign to pay attention. Long claws are more prone to infection. Overgrown claws can cause painful paw injuries. A claw can be ripped out or could snag something or even crack in some cases, resulting in a painful wound.

It is best to start holding and touching your pets paws so they adjust to having their paws handled, if this can be done from a young age all the better. This will help them become accustomed to having their nails clipped. Some dogs, however, won't adjust. In such cases, try clipping only one nail at a time, so not to stress the dog to much. Go back later and cut another one, and so on until their all done. Make sure you don’t forget to cut the due claw. The due claw is the one up on the side of the front legs (The thumbs). Most dogs don’t have due claws on the back legs, but some can so check the back legs too. Some dogs may have a double due claws, which are just two of them side by side. In difficult situations consider having a groomer or vet do the trimming. Some dogs may need to be muzzled. If you have a particularly unhappy dog, only ever let a vet sedate the dog to clip the nails. Never let a groomer sedate the dog, as sedating a dog can be very dangerous and should only ever be done by a registered vet.[/B]

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Where on her foot is it? You said it was the back paw right?

Sounds like like a dew claw but i think i've only heard of them on the front legs. Maybe they have them on the back too. Both my girls had them removed.[/B]

<span style="color:#993399"><div align="center">Yes, it's on her right back paw. It looks sore to me, but she seems to be walking and running around fine. Is it important to get it removed?</span>

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
take a pic of it....they dont need to be removed unless they get caught on things

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<div align="center">
yep it sound like your puppy has a due claw.. It's normal. Noting to worry about.
Normally some breeders will remove it and some don't. Chelsey has both due claws on her font paws. You just need to make sure that it is trimed and does not get caught on anything. I normally trim her nails once every two weeks.

Here is some information:

Dog claws should be trimmed around every 2-3 months depending on growth, although indoor pets may need more frequent attention. Dogs that have access to concrete or hard surfaces will need less as they will naturally wear down on these surfaces or by walking them on foot paths. Dog claws naturally wear down through normal activity, but when kept indoors, often need them trimmed more often as they are not as active and generally walk on softer surfaces. When dog claws are too long you may hear them click as they walk across a hard surfaced floor. This is a sign to pay attention. Long claws are more prone to infection. Overgrown claws can cause painful paw injuries. A claw can be ripped out or could snag something or even crack in some cases, resulting in a painful wound.

It is best to start holding and touching your pets paws so they adjust to having their paws handled, if this can be done from a young age all the better. This will help them become accustomed to having their nails clipped. Some dogs, however, won't adjust. In such cases, try clipping only one nail at a time, so not to stress the dog to much. Go back later and cut another one, and so on until their all done. Make sure you don’t forget to cut the due claw. The due claw is the one up on the side of the front legs (The thumbs). Most dogs don’t have due claws on the back legs, but some can so check the back legs too. Some dogs may have a double due claws, which are just two of them side by side. In difficult situations consider having a groomer or vet do the trimming. Some dogs may need to be muzzled. If you have a particularly unhappy dog, only ever let a vet sedate the dog to clip the nails. Never let a groomer sedate the dog, as sedating a dog can be very dangerous and should only ever be done by a registered vet.[/B]
[/B][/QUOTE]

Thank you for all of this information!!! I am just a PARANOID, first time mommy.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Better to be paranoid and safe than too carefree and sorry.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
It's a dew claw! Cookie had dew claws too and as my first dog .. I thought she had a strange growth or something. Many breeders remove the dew claws at 3 days but others don't. Nothing to worry about but just make sure you trim and cut it. Some people will choose to remove it when they get spayed/neteured.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
this one dog had a nail coming out of his tail!!!

i thought that was what your post was about. lol

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
this one dog had a nail coming out of his tail!!!

i thought that was what your post was about. lol[/B]

<span style="color:#006600"><div align="center">LOL, I have never heard of that one!</span>

1 - 10 of 10 Posts