Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,
Since Bentley is a rescue dog he did not get much TLC before he was adopted. Now though I am trying to figure out how to take care of him in the right way. One issue that he has is with his nails. I have had them trimmed one time in the last two months (how often is appropriate?). He has also busted one of his toenails when he was at a doggy daycare and they had to take him to the vet to get the bleeding to stop. My concern is that when I had his nails trimmed they could not trim much because his quicks had grown so long. I know that he needs his nails trimmed again and I am wondering if there is any way to make the quicks recede. Does that make sense? He has had more problems with the same toe and I don't want the poor boy to have problems with it anymore. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
The best way to get the nail quick to shrink is by trimming the nail every 7-10 days as close to the quick as possible without nicking the quick. The quick itself is very "smart" in that the closer you get to it the more it shrinks back. If you feel you cannot get close to the quick yourself generally a groomer or tech at your vet's office will do it. The typical charge in my area for a nail trim is about $10.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Mary- How long do the weekly trims take to have an effect? I trim nails every two weeks as close as I can and have seen little result... I need hope improvement is in sight.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Oh! I had no idea the quick could actually shrink back! Good to know...I'll be sure to have Bailey's nails trimmed weekly from now on. I've been wanting to cut them myself but I am petrified that I'll hurt him!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts