Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday....we bought one of those nail grinder things... wow, that sounds like a torture device. It's that lil spinny sanding thing and you push their nail against it. There's two settings, one to trim, one to buff. Wasn't sure how it would work out but it worked really, really well. Minimal reaction by the pups and it made their nails very nice and bearable.

I have noticed that there are a handful of things that I think are a good idea and people are like, whoa.... don't use those. So, anyone use them, like them, love them, hate them, anything? :)

·
Premium Member
11,148 Posts
I bought one a few mths ago, but haven't had the courage to try it yet. It's still in the unopened box.:blush:

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I was a tad nervous so my wife did it. Since they are still little pups, they usually are a bit squirmy when they get their nails done. I would say this did not make them any more squirmy than normal...? Haha. They didn't cry out or anything, seemed really painless for them and I was happy with the results. Their nails seem nice and short and rounded, not pointy and scratchy. I thought it worked well but I was wondering if there was some hidden dark side I didn't know about. LOL.

·
Premium Member
11,148 Posts
I've been taking Boo & Hannah to a groomer for nail trimming. She sometimes uses the clippers & sometimes uses the grinder. She recommends the grinders but says the clippers are much faster.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Clippers would probably be faster, yes, I will give you that. It did take a while but we were happy with the results.

·
Membership Suspended
2,839 Posts
Well, I was a tad nervous so my wife did it. Since they are still little pups, they usually are a bit squirmy when they get their nails done. I would say this did not make them any more squirmy than normal...? Haha. They didn't cry out or anything, seemed really painless for them and I was happy with the results. Their nails seem nice and short and rounded, not pointy and scratchy. I thought it worked well but I was wondering if there was some hidden dark side I didn't know about. LOL.
The dark side is catching long hair in the rotary - so if the pups have "bear paws" I'd be using the clippers instead.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On that note... what other "paw" maintenance needs to be done? I heard somewhere about pups not always liking when they have hair between their lil claws or something like that.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I use a dremel and love it. I don't have to worry about cutting too close. I also use one on my greyhound. Grinding Lizzie's nails takes two seconds. Grinding Rhaegars is a bit longer. But do be careful about the hari. I don't let the hair on Lizzie's feet get very long. I keep it trimmed between grooming.

·
Membership Suspended
2,839 Posts
On that note... what other "paw" maintenance needs to be done? I heard somewhere about pups not always liking when they have hair between their lil claws or something like that.
Malts have hairy paws - hair grows in between their toes, and around the large pad. This has to be clipped with scissors, or clippers. I used the regular size clippers, but I think the smaller trimmers would work better on the smaller feet. If the hair is not kept trimmed, one day you may find them pulling the hair out with their teeth. :w00t:

As a side note: Start training them to lie on their backs - it makes grooming the underside, arm pits, and paw care MUCH easier. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
86 Posts
I bought one of those dremel-style pet nail grinders back when Violet was 4 months old. I took it out, put batteries in, and turned it on. Violet's ears went back and she started to shake... then she ran and hid under the bed. She was SO afraid of the noise! I've been trying to turn it on a little each day to get her used to the noise, but she runs the second she sees it. I never even got it close enough to her nails to try it!

·
Registered
59 Posts
For those who use these: How did you get your malts used to them? I bring it out and give treats then started turning it on and giving more treats but after a month it has sat in a box because Zeus never warmed up to it.

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
You can always use the panty hose technique if worried about hair catching. Just poke the nails through the stocking and hold the stocking taut against the foot so only the nail is exposed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts