Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How did you choose your dogs names?
I'll go first.
I work as an Elementary library clerk and I chose Bentley's name from an award winning childrens book titled Snowflake Bentley it's a Caldecott medal winner for the art work in a childrens book. It's a biography about a man name Wilson Bentley whom back in the early 1900's was the first to photograph snowflakes. He loved the beauty or the white snowflakes and here's a little quote that inspired me. "I found the snowflakes were masterpieces of design" he said. " No one design was ever repeated. When a snowflake melted..... just that much beauty was gone, without leaving any record behind.
I thought the same about this beautiful little breed, no two alike, each a masterpiece of beauty. Bentley's akc name is Renoir's Snowflake Bentley. The Renoir part is a play on our family name and because my husband is and artist.

·
Registered
939 Posts
That is just to wonderful!

Tiki's name isn't quite so touching
. My husband collects watches. There is a watch he just loves, but will probably never own due to the price. It is a Patek Philippe, a beautiful "timeless creation".

I suggested the name and he agreed that our little Tiki is a close as he will ever get to owning something quite so wonderful. As it works out, Tiki is a work of art all his own

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If and when I get Bentley a sister( yorkie ) the names I'm thinking are only names I like, with no special meaning........unless between now and then I can find a book that catches my fancy and I'm on the lookout.

·
Registered
181 Posts
That is beautiful for Bentley! I have a dear friend in France whose name is Colette. There is also the French author, Colette. Since the Maltese is also popular in France, I asked my friend if she would be offended if I used her name. She said that her name would work out perfectly since she was born on May 31 and Colette was born on May 13. Once I heard that, Colette it was! I informed my breeder who called her "Colette" from day one. She came home at 12 weeks answering readily to Colette...unless she's too busy doing other important puppy things. :lol:
Colette'sMom

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Sampsons "temporary" name was chubby checkers when I bought him, the breeder said he was the only one to survive out of 3 and he was the biggest, so I wanted a BIG name that represented his strength and size for such a little guy, Sampson seemed perfect, I am a big guy myself and when i tell others about my dog Sampson they assume its a rotty or some other "big" dog, his middle name is Moonstar, i love things to do with the moon and stars

Maggie is named after Mary Magdalene from the Bible and her middle name is Adara, from the greek goddess of Love and Beauty[/B]

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good choice in names, Don't see how you could have picked anything any better for Sampson. And Maggie's name, thats one of my favorite stories in the Bible. I think it's a hoot to see these little bitty dogs with these BIG names, like Killer for a little chihuahua :lol:

·
Registered
346 Posts
lol

Nothing profound or anything with mine...just looked at him, and Morgan came to mind. To me, he looked like a "Morgan" He seems very happy with it lol

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If and when I get a yorkie pup I have a few names that I like, heres what I'm thinking of (I want a female but that's not carved in stone)
Annabelle
Mia
Peyton
Nina
Annie
Kylie
Asa

·
Registered
26 Posts
When we were about to get a dog we were going through a mess of names. I wanted Lady but my husband said that it's too common. I also chose a few others that he didn't quite like. Then he said "Angel" and it sounded nice so we decided to stick with it. The moment we saw her we knew that it was perfect for her. She is definately a little Angel.

·
Registered
17 Posts
We tend to give our Maltese a name that has something to do with the season or time that we get them or an event that's happening at that time. "Holly" and "Rudy" were Christmas presents for my wife. Our new little girl is named "Jazz", we live in Sacramento and the International Jazz Festival was going on at the time. I am also a music teacher so Jazz seemed to be a nice fit. My son named his Yorkie "Fez" after the character in "That Seventies Show". Three other Maltese that we have had were rescues so they already had names, "Boo", "Shivers" and "Lexie".

We also have nick names that they seem to respond to as well as there given name. The females know they're in trouble when we call them "Missy" and the males usually get called "Buddy".

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Maltese Dad, Your son has a yorkie and you have a malt, can you compare the 2 breeds? I would like to get a yorkie for Bentley (and myself) can you give me an idea of the differences and similarities in the two breeds? I have always wanted one of each.

Bentley's nicknames are Wonderdog and Junior.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts