Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Has anyone contacted the Hilton about the treatment we received at Nationals?

I am going to write a letter, watching the maintenance guy walking down the hallway - saying "woof, woof" and laughing was one think - I SAW w/my own eyes.

Meg's spider bites were awful.

Calling about barking dogs, when there were not barking dogs - was upsetting.

I just wanted to know if anyone had followed thru yet or started writing yet.

·
Premium Member
12,783 Posts
And security knocking on the doors of rooms with no dogs barking and then when dogs started up because there was someone knocking on the door, calling on the radios and reporting them for barking.

WRONG!

What happened with Meg's spider bites? I missed that!

·
Premium Member
6,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Meg got bit on the neck the first night, the arm on Saturday!

and when she went to do an incident report, they didn't want to give her a copy.
it was 4 pages long.

horrible..
and taking dogs out of the room - totally illegal!

·
Premium Member
20,031 Posts
I spoke directly with one of the people who were kicked out. It was the nice older gentleman who wore kilts while participating in obedience. He and his wife came back from dinner around 8:30pm and their key didn't work, the desk gave them another one, the next evening their key didn't work again - they went to the desk, this time the manager said the previous night had been a warning (but no one told him that). They were given 20 minutes to pack up and get out or they were calling the police. They and their two dogs had to go stay at the Ramada Inn across the street.

I also feel bad about the husband and wife who made their hotel reservations a year in advance because she needed a handicap room. Guess what, they didn't get one. This other woman standing with them was telling me she screamed at the management and warned them they had better get her a proper room right away....and they did. That poor woman wasn't able to take a shower for a few days :w00t:

Many stories were going around, these are two that I know for sure happened because I talked with them. I don't understand why a hotel would agree to host a dog show, but not want dogs around....????? I wonder if Paris would have been kicked out.....

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
Wow...incredible! I knew that the kilt gentleman came back I didn't know he was kicked out again. I think the removal of the dogs was totally illegal. I will write after I finish inventory. BTW Paris's family no longer own the Hilton.:huh:

·
Premium Member
6,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The lady who needed a handicap room didn't get one when she first checked in?? and she'd booked one in advance... that it is HUGE. and very bad.

the couple in obedience (the man w/the kilt) they were so NICE, incredible.

·
Premium Member
6,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the hotel apparently removed someone's show dogs from their room and took them downstairs.

I don't know who.. or anymore details then that.

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
the hotel apparently removed someone's show dogs from their room and took them downstairs.

I would have FREAKED!

We never took the chance by leaving Bogie alone. He had to wait in a locked, running (for air) car while we ate a couple of meals. We parked so I could watch him the whole time we were in the restaurants.

Also, we were allowed to bring him to the outdoor dining area at Malone's for dinner one night. They normally only allow service animals, but they made an exception because I called ahead. I made sure to thank the Manager for allowing this and told him of our situation at the hotel. He said people had been called back to the hotel the night before due to barking dogs.

I really think the hotel did a poor job with the situation. We were using points and didn't spend any additional money there. Does anyone know if the hotel for next year will be a better venue?

·
Registered
542 Posts
This is terrible, I didn't go to Atlanta but I did stay at a Hilton last summer in Saratoga Springs and was very disappointed with the hotel there.
I would surely complain.

·
Premium Member
12,783 Posts

The biggest issue with this was that there hadn't even been any complaints on this room. The dogs were removed 'just' because they were barking - NOT because anybody had called to complain about that particular room. And OF COURSE it's going to sound louder when the maids have the door open!! Even the most well-adjusted dogs would freak over that. Really? I would have probably complained too.

This whole issue could have been avoided if the hotel HAD NOT put non dog show people in rooms right next to rooms with dogs in them. i realize they have to put people somewhere but putting what looked to be a basketball team on the same floor with 90% dogs?

Other than the dog barking issue, I don't really have any other complaints about the hotel. The valet/bell boy staff were great, the shuttle people were great, the waiters/waitresses at the various restaurant were great (altho a bit slow) The main restuarant didn't have the best food but the sports bar did.

The venue next year should be different and more welcoming and will hopefully put ALL DOG PEOPLE ON THE SAME FLOORS!

·
Premium Member
20,031 Posts
The biggest issue with this was that there hadn't even been any complaints on this room. The dogs were removed 'just' because they were barking - NOT because anybody had called to complain about that particular room. And OF COURSE it's going to sound louder when the maids have the door open!! Even the most well-adjusted dogs would freak over that. Really? I would have probably complained too.

This whole issue could have been avoided if the hotel HAD NOT put non dog show people in rooms right next to rooms with dogs in them. i realize they have to put people somewhere but putting what looked to be a basketball team on the same floor with 90% dogs?

Other than the dog barking issue, I don't really have any other complaints about the hotel. The valet/bell boy staff were great, the shuttle people were great, the waiters/waitresses at the various restaurant were great (altho a bit slow) The main restuarant didn't have the best food but the sports bar did.

The venue next year should be different and more welcoming and will hopefully put ALL DOG PEOPLE ON THE SAME FLOORS!

I really didn't have any complaints either other than they didn't seem to like having dogs in their hotel. (well the food wasn't the best). I liked my lunch on Sunday, but it took so long, we had to finally ask for it "to-go" - and we missed the rescue parade anyway - DARN!

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
Well Hilton was never known for having good food. It is really rare to find a Hotel with a good restaurant. Unless you are in Las Vegas and tho we were disappointed with the restaurants in the Paris Hotel. We expected better. For the other things that happened, it is just appalling.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I certainly hope the people, who's dogs were moved, report this to someone. I would've called the police. How dare they go into a room and remove personal property. (That's how the law sees dogs.) Would they have moved a smart phone or laptop b/c it was making noise? Heck no, that would be illegal! I hope they checked all their belongings too. That is just disgusting! This hotel has no business hosting such an event. I know I will never stay there.

I had a similar experience at a hotel in the DFW area. They said Bailey was barking. Well of course he barked, when what sounded like sumo wrestlers were pouding down the hallway. It woke me up several times during the night.

·
Registered
7,034 Posts
I have written to several people at Hilton Corporate Headquarters. So far I have received one reply from the manager at the Atlanta Hilton. I responded to him that his response was unacceptable. I'll let you know if anyone else gets back to me. I am planning to pursue this. Hopefully I will hear from someone higher up.

Read the section about asking for phone numbers. No one asked me for a phone number at any time during my stay. I was very clear about how iinadequate I thought staff training was.

Your Recent Stay

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 1:58 PM

"David Piscola" <[email protected]>
Add sender to Contacts

To:
"[email protected]" <[email protected]>

Ms. Berger,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us regarding your recent stay.

I can certainly understand your frustrations and concerns regarding the hotel’s policy on pets. It is our ultimate goal that all guests have a safe, restful and enjoyable stay. To accomplish this on an unusual weekend such as the one just past, the hotel works hard to place guests in the most advantageous rooms so as to not disturb each other. As a pet friendly hotel we also take steps to ensure that we can reach out to our pet owners should the need arise so that we can prevent ongoing disturbances. We do this by getting contact phones numbers at check in. As an airport hotel we have guests that may be sleeping at any time of day and need to be able to contact those owners who have left their pets unattended.

As an owner of an AKC show dog myself I understand both the cost and frankly the emotion associated with having these fine animals in our care. I also understand that traveling with pets can be an added burden on a traveler and we try to accommodate their needs as best we can. But we must also take into account the needs of the other guests in the hotel. We certainly would expect that pet owners are aware that their pets may negatively impact others around them and would take the necessary steps to prevent this. In fact most owners realize these and take extraordinary efforts to be a good “neighbor”. In both cases that you mentioned, dogs had been left unattended for extended periods of time and the owners were unresponsive to our calls. In fact, one of the owners took over an hour and half to return to their room after being contacted by show staff despite the fact that they were here on site. This action was discourteous to the other guests around them. In those situations the managers took the best actions they could to try and please all of our guests.

Never the less, I agree that we as a hotel can do it better next time and we will take extra efforts to learn from this experience. I very much appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with me as this will assist us in those efforts.

Please contact me directly if I can be of any assistance.

Best regards,

David Piscola
General Manager-Complexed
Hilton Atlanta Airport
Embassy Suites Atlanta Airport
1031 Virginia Ave
Atlanta, GA 30354
(p) 404-559-6885

·
Premium Member
1,722 Posts
I have heard from the woman that had her dogs removed. She was showing one of her dogs and when she went back to the room the other three had been removed in their pens and taken to the basement. She was not even allowed to go and get them but had to wait for the maintance people to bring them up from the basement (20 minutes). Now, too bad a number of us werent there to break the door down and get them.
I hope everyone that had a bad experience with this particular Hilton and its General Manager will write the head corporate office and be very specific about dates and issues. I know a number of people that will be doing so and hope many others will. I wasnt at this Specialty and just good thing I didnt have Hope there and they had removed her from the room. I think you would all have had to bail me out of jail.LOL
I have been to 3 Specialties so far and never had a problem. Most of the time you cant hear any barking of dogs in the rooms or hallways and wonder if this particular hotel had poor sound proofing between rooms.
Another lady and her husband were in a motor home parked out in the parking lot and the hotel people came banging on their door one morning while they were still asleep and told them they had to leave because the dogs were barking too much. Now "So what !! in a parking lot"??. So they had to move to the parking lot of the Hotel next door.
So write those letters. Please. Hugs,Edie

·
Premium Member
6,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hilton Customer Support

Contact Us

Send us your email comments or questions about our hotels, Hilton HHonors®, or our Web site. Security and privacy are important issues to the Hilton Family of Brands. For your own privacy protection, we encourage you not to include sensitive personal information in any emails you may send to us. Please do not send credit card numbers or any sensitive personal information to us via email.
Recent Stay Comments

Comments about a recent stay at a Hilton Family hotel? Send us an email or call 1-800-HILTONS (1-800-445-8667) and ask for Guest Assistance.

·
Premium Member
6,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have written to several people at Hilton Corporate Headquarters. So far I have received one reply from the manager at the Atlanta Hilton. I responded to him that his response was unacceptable. I'll let you know if anyone else gets back to me. I am planning to pursue this. Hopefully I will hear from someone higher up.

Read the section about asking for phone numbers. No one asked me for a phone number at any time during my stay. I was very clear about how iinadequate I thought staff training was.

Your Recent Stay

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 1:58 PM

"David Piscola" <[email protected]>
Add sender to Contacts

To:
"[email protected]" <[email protected]>

Ms. Berger,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us regarding your recent stay.

I can certainly understand your frustrations and concerns regarding the hotel’s policy on pets. It is our ultimate goal that all guests have a safe, restful and enjoyable stay. To accomplish this on an unusual weekend such as the one just past, the hotel works hard to place guests in the most advantageous rooms so as to not disturb each other. As a pet friendly hotel we also take steps to ensure that we can reach out to our pet owners should the need arise so that we can prevent ongoing disturbances. We do this by getting contact phones numbers at check in. As an airport hotel we have guests that may be sleeping at any time of day and need to be able to contact those owners who have left their pets unattended.

As an owner of an AKC show dog myself I understand both the cost and frankly the emotion associated with having these fine animals in our care. I also understand that traveling with pets can be an added burden on a traveler and we try to accommodate their needs as best we can. But we must also take into account the needs of the other guests in the hotel. We certainly would expect that pet owners are aware that their pets may negatively impact others around them and would take the necessary steps to prevent this. In fact most owners realize these and take extraordinary efforts to be a good “neighbor”. In both cases that you mentioned, dogs had been left unattended for extended periods of time and the owners were unresponsive to our calls. In fact, one of the owners took over an hour and half to return to their room after being contacted by show staff despite the fact that they were here on site. This action was discourteous to the other guests around them. In those situations the managers took the best actions they could to try and please all of our guests.

Never the less, I agree that we as a hotel can do it better next time and we will take extra efforts to learn from this experience. I very much appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with me as this will assist us in those efforts.

Please contact me directly if I can be of any assistance.

Best regards,

David Piscola
General Manager-Complexed
Hilton Atlanta Airport
Embassy Suites Atlanta Airport
1031 Virginia Ave
Atlanta, GA 30354
(p) 404-559-6885
Reva - No, one asked me for my phone number, that I recall.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts