Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<span style="font-family:Times">Im thinking about adding this to Peaches's dry food because she is sooooo picky and Im hoping it will entice her appetite. Has anyone tried this before? I'd like to try the lamb roll formula.</span>

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Here are the ingredients:
LAMB FORMULA ROLL
Lamb, Lamb Hearts, Lamb Kidneys, Lamb Lungs, Whole Wheat Flour, Rice Flour, Lamb Fat (Preserved with mixed Tocopherols and Ascorbic Acid source of Vitamin C) Sucrose, Ground Whole Flaxseed, Calcium Carbonate, Sodium Chloride, Sodium Phosphates, Brewer's Yeast, Dried Kelp Meal, Lecithin, Natural Smoke Flavor, Glycerin, Choline Chloride, Potassium Chloride, Zinc Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Iron Proteinate, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Copper Proteinate, Niacin, Vitamin A Acetate, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Calcium Iodate, Folic Acid, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, ,Biotin, Sodium Selenite, Sodium Nitrite.

I don't like the fact that it has sodium nitrite in it but it is the last ingredient. I personally would not use anything for me or my dogs with any sodium nitrite in it but I am especially picky! All those lamb parts sort of gross me out because I've been a vegetarian for more than 30 years....

·
Registered
7,486 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by msmagnolia@May 21 2005, 05:34 PM
I use the rolled food from Red Barn.  My dogs love it.  I give them a quarter of a slice mixed with half of the usual amount of kibble.  They have a fit when I call them to breakfast and dinner and eat it all up. 

Here is the link for Red Barn.  I order it.  http://store.yahoo.com/rbdistributors-stor...dbarpremdo.html
This link is to the ingredients:  http://www.barnreps.com/ingredients_analys..._food/index.htm
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=64144
[/QUOTE]

That is a much better product, IMHO, than the Natural Balance, based on comparing and contrasting the ingredients. I would definitely choose this over Natural Balance... It uses brown rice instead of white rice, doesn't have sucrose (sugar) in it, etc. Sucrose (sugar) is the 8th ingredient in the Natural Balance!

REDBARN LAMB AND RICE INGREDIENTS:
LAMB, LAMB LUNG, BROWN RICE, RICE FLOUR, LAMB LIVER, LAMB MEAL, FLAX SEED, PEAS, CARROTS, SALT, DICALCIUM PHOSPHATE, CALCIUM CHLORIDE, DEXTROSE, CITRIC ACID, POTASSIUM CHLORIDE, CHOLINE CHLORIDE, ROSEMARY, CINNAMON, GARLIC, DL-ALPHA TOCOPHEROL ACETATE (SOURCE OF VITAMIN E), IRON SULFATE, SELENIUM SUPPLEMENT, ZINC OXIDE, VITAMIN A ACETATE, THIAMINE MONONITRATE, RIBOFLAVIN SUPPLEMENT, D-ACTIVATED ANIMAL STEROL (SOURCE OF VITAMIN D3), ETHYLENE DIAMINE DIHYDRIODIDE (SOURCE OF IODINE), PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE (SOURCE OF VITAMIN B6), FOLIC ACID SUPPLEMENT.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I use the NB dry food and the rolls for Tunny and our Lab. They both love it. In the winter I add warm water to the mix and they go nuts. I use all variety's. I read somwhere that eating the same food all the time can cause/worsen food allergies. So we rotate between the different NB varieties in both the rolls and dry food.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<span style="font-family:Times">kallie/catcher's mom.....
what is sodium nitrite? is it bad for dogs?</span>

·
Premium Member
4,916 Posts
I use a little of the NB beef roll added to the kibble and canned. He's not crazy about it, but will eat it. It smells great, smoky. I'm all for lots of variety as long as all of the variety is good premium stuff.
Anyone tried Evolve dry food? I just got my first bag, the Natural Senior. Supposed to be all human quality, holistic, etc. I wish the kibble pieces were smaller.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Originally posted by g1enda1e@May 21 2005, 05:14 PM
<span style="font-family:Times">kallie/catcher's mom.....
what is sodium nitrite? is it bad for dogs?</span>

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=64151
[/QUOTE]

My understanding is that it is said to have an effect on the reproductive element of the animals. I looked up a few studies and they alll were testing for effects to the reproductive system and I couldn't find one that proved it did cause issues.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by g1enda1e@May 21 2005, 06:14 PM
X - Everyone should avoid. Unsafe in amounts consumed or is very poorly tested and not worth any risk.

Meat processors love sodium nitrite because it stabilizes the red color in cured meat (without nitrite, hot dogs and bacon would look gray) and gives a characteristic flavor. Sodium nitrate is used in dry cured meat, because it slowly breaks down into nitrite. Adding nitrite to food can lead to the formation of small amounts of potent cancer-causing chemicals (nitrosamines), particularly in fried bacon. Nitrite, which also occurs in saliva and forms from nitrate in several vegetables, can undergo the same chemical reaction in the stomach. Companies now add ascorbic acid or erythorbic acid to bacon to inhibit nitrosamine formation, a measure that has greatly reduced the problem. While nitrite and nitrate cause only a small risk, they are still worth avoiding.

Several studies have linked consumption of cured meat and nitrite by children, pregnant women, and adults with various types of cancer. Although those studies have not yet proven that eating nitrite in bacon, sausage, and ham causes cancer in humans, pregnant women would be prudent to avoid those products.

The meat industry justifies its use of nitrite and nitrate by claiming that it prevents the growth of bacteria that cause botulism poisoning. That’s true, but freezing and refrigeration could also do that, and the U.S. Department of Agriculture has developed a safe method using lactic-acid-producing bacteria. The use of nitrite and nitrate has decreased greatly over the decades, because of refrigeration and restrictions on the amounts used. The meat industry could do the public’s health a favor by cutting back even further. Because nitrite is used primarily in fatty, salty foods, consumers have important nutritional reasons for avoiding nitrite-preserved foods.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
I've used the rolls before and the dogs looove it. You can cut it up into really small bits and use as treats or sprinkle it on. I usually got red barn cheaper at dog shows. It is a similar product.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
My breeder uses Red Barn and that is why I have continued to buy it. If I ever get to a dog show I would love to buy it there and not have to pay for shipping. I slice up a whole roll into slices that are about 1/4 - 1/2 inch and then slice each of those into quarters. I buy 3 different flavors, slice them all, and store in freezer bags in the freezer. For all three dogs I can go a while on 3 rolls, especially since I supplement with good quality kibble. None of the dogs EVER refuses to eat.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts