Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Natural balance new food

Hey everyone! NB has a new sweet potato and fish formula. What do you guys think of it? It's also allergy free.

Since my babies have been on the regular NB formula, their staining hasn't gotten better. It actually has gotten worse. I'm almost through with it and will switch them over to an allergy free forumla. I think I asked Lady Montava this once but I forgot. But which ones do you guys think is the best one? Sweet potato/Fish? Duck/Potato? Venison/Rice? And also, all of these don't have meat as their first ingredient. What do you think about that?

Sweet Potato and fish:
Fresh Salmon Single premium quality protein source not commonly used in pet foods.
Fresh Sweet Potatoes Single premium quality carbohydrates, rich in potassium and highly digestible energy source.
Salmon Oil High in Omega 3, source of DHA
Canola Oil Low in saturated fat and high in mono unsaturated fat. Excellent Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acid profile.
Flaxseed Oil An excellent souce of Omega 3 fatty acids.
sweet potatoes, salmon, salmon meal, menhaden fish meal, canola oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), sweet potato fiber, DL-methionine, L-lysine, sodium chloride, salmon oil, flaxseed oil, rosemary extract, natural flavor, yucca schidigera extract, potassium chloride, choline chloride, vitamin E supplement, ferrous sulfate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, Potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, manganese sulfate, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, vitamin K supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D3 supplement, folic acid.

Duck and Potato
Fresh Duck Single premium quality protein source not commonly used in pet foods.
Fresh Potatoes Single premium quality carbohydrates, rich in potassium and highly digestible energy source.
Canola Oil
Flaxseed Oil

Potatoes, Duck, Duck Meal, Canola Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), Potato Fiber, DL-methionine, L-Lysine, Sodium Chloride, Salmon Oil, Flaxseed Oil, Rosemary Extract, Natural Flavor, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Potassium Iodide, Thiamine Mononitrate, Manganese Proteinate, Zinc Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin A Supplement, Biotin, Calcium Pantothenate, Manganese Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B-6), Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Vitamin K Supplement, Riboflavin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid.

Venison and Rice
A True Venison & Brown Rice Formula A unique premium quality fresh meat protein source not commonly used in pet foods, and just brown rice. No other meat sources or grains are added to this special diet.
Brown Rice: A superior rice grain with the nutrient-rich bran portion intact. This bran layer holds nutrients of vital importance, such as fiber and essential oils.
Canola Oil
Flaxseed Oil

Venison, whole grain brown rice, rice flour, venison meal, rice bran, canola oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), natural flavor, flaxseed oil, kelp meal, yucca schidigera extract, potassium chloride, sodium chloride, choline chloride, L-lysine, DL-methionine, dicalcium phosphate, dried parsley, rosemary extract, ascorbic acid (vitamin C), vitamin E supplement, taurine, ferrous sulfate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, Potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, vitamin A supplement, biotin supplement, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, vitamin K supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D3 supplement, folic acid.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Most potato foods don't have the meat as the first ingredient. I'm not surprised. These foods are for dogs with food allergies, so keep in mind that you are eliminating potential novel protein and carb sources if your dog ever develops allergies.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
JMM--Why are you not surprised that potato foods don't have meat as their first ingredient? I don't get why they dont put more or as much proteins as the regular foods just because it's "allergy free."

Venison is first in the venison and rice, but it has no potato.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Oh...because the protein is usually something like fish or duck which is more expensive. In the case of duck, it is also a rather fatty food. I guess it just made sense to me LOL No real reason...

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hahah...I forgot about this thread.

No one has any suggestions? I'm praying that Cloud and Noriko has been having terrible tearstaining because they are allergic to beef.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
I've never seen the fish and potatoes, but I did try the duck and potatoes and Peanut wouldn't go near it. He is very picky, but he didn't even want to take a sniff. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
HEHE...I got a lil sample pack of duck and potato once for my babies. They seemed to like it. Maybe I should email the company and ask.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Originally posted by ButterCloudandNoriko@Feb 15 2005, 12:03 PM
hahah...I forgot about this thread. 

No one has any suggestions?  I'm praying that Cloud and Noriko has been having terrible tearstaining because they are allergic to beef.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=35564
[/QUOTE]

What makes you suspect food allergies? Food allergies are actually a lot less common than inhaled allergies in dogs. My Lady has both, but her inhaled allergies are much worse. She is also immune system compromised since she is diabetic which makes her more prone to allergies.

Most food allergic dogs have skin problems, itching and scratching. Do Cloud or Noriko chew their feet?

Have you talked to your vet about food allergies causing the tearing? Does he agree?

You could try an elimination diet. Allergy testing can be very expensive. A co-worker just spent close to $1000 to find out hat her little Yorkie is allergic to just about everything!

There is a a lot of information on food allergies here:

http://www.purina.com/breeders/magazine.asp?article=416

I'd almost suspect an eye problem instead, especially after everything I just found about genetic eye disorders in Malts.

Unfortunately, tearing seems to be something most Maltese owners have to live with to a certain extent. I have heard that a lot depends on genetics and if the tearing is related to genetics, there really isn't a whole lot you can do about it.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The reason I suspect food is because in the begining I didnt feed them anything with beef. The last 2 brand they ate were beef. They both have really dry skin. Cloud's worse. They both chew their feet. Noriko's worse. I would like to do as much as I can to figure out what their problem is by myself rather than spend 1000 bucks LOL. Also, their tear staining started the exact same time.

There is a possibility it isn't food, but this is the only thing I can control to figure out if it is food allergies.

The doctor said it's not a big deal that it could be something I have to live with as well. But, Noriko's brother has NO tearstaining at all so I find it weird that she has it so incredibly bad.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
THIS IS WHAT I HATE ABOUT TEARSTAINS!

I myself have learned to live with it...and if I slack off for a few days, and they get bad...that is my own fault...BUT...when someone else sees him and FREAKS out about it b/c they don't know what is wrong...THEN I feel like a bad mommy! I have to try and explain it...we had a highschool girl come and baby sit the other night and she completely thought he was bleeding or somthing.
I told her it was fine...he was not hurt and tried to explain...THAT is why I hate the tearstains! I can live with the cosmetic problem...I hate explaining it to others!

I guess we'll get some glasses like Suzanne did!

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I could live with it if I know that I had to. But the thing is, at one point, they both had NO tearstaining! So that's why I hate it so freakin much, you know?

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
What happens if you eliminate beef from their diet now? Does it help with the staining?

I think I mentioned before that a lot of people swear by the duck and potato formulas for allergic dogs. It might be worth buying a bag and trying.

Has anything else changed that could cause airborne/inhaled allergies? Like using a different cleaning product? I have read that some of those carpet deodorizers you sprinkle on can cause allergies.

Have you ever tried giving them 1/2 a Benadryl to see if it helps?

As I said, I recently discovered that Maltese are prone to genetic eye problems like eye lashes growing the wrong way (Distichiasis) or abnormal draining of tears because of overproduction (Epiphora).

If the tearing bothers you that much, you might want to take them to an opthamologist, although, again, they are expensive (a couple hundred dollars each dog I would guess).

Here's a great article about tear staining from the Bhe Jei website:

http://www.bhejei.com/tearsta.htm

It mentions smoking as a cause of tear staining. I seem to remember that you said you are a smoker. Maybe that's the culprit?

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
HAHA...Yes I am a smoker, but I don't smoke in front of them unless we're outside. I have about a week or 2's worth of the ultra premium formula and then I am definitely switching them over. I did wonder about the carpet cleaner, but I've used the same brand since theyve been home...sometimes different scents though. Hmmm, as far as cleaning products, I doubt that could be it. I dont think I've changed any products.
I asked the doctor about benedryl and he just said no because tearstaining is apart of this breed. But Noriko's brother doesnt have it at all!!! **WHINING**

They were just so much more beautiful when they had no tearstaining!

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Whether or not you smoke in front of them, if you smoke in your house, there is second hand smoke there. Apparently just the nicotine and smoke that gets on your skin can cause allergic reactions in dogs.

"Animals can also have allergies to passive smoke and can become quite uncomfortable with sneezing, watery eyes, nasal discharge or infections, and other signs of allergic reactions. If you must smoke, it is always best to smoke outside, away from your pets, especially pet birds that are the most sensitive to inhaled pollutants."

Good reason to quit......!

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't smoke inside the house. Only outside and in the car (when they're not with me). I'm not ready to quit yet. Maybe when I'm finished with school, then I'll quit for good.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
They are eating NB ultra premium brand. It doesn't have beef like I thought it did, but it has chicken. I'm probably going to go buy either the sweet potato/fish or Potato/duck next week.

When I emailed NB, the asked for my address so they can send me coupons! WOOHOO! LOL

1 - 17 of 17 Posts