Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search on Natural Choice and found several who used it a while back. Does anybody still use Natural Choice and if you have switched foods have you noticed any difference?

Paris' skin is a bright pink, dry on her tummy, and she itches quite a bit and licks/chews her paws. She was on Hill's z/d after this all started and I didn't see any improvement at all there. She has been eating California Natural Lamb & Rice puppy dry for about five weeks now but is still scratching.

The vet wants to get her tested for allergies (he believes it is probably skin related allergies) but won't do it until she is at least a year old. That won't be until mid-October.

I started her on Nupro twice a day last week. She really loves that but haven't seen any difference yet in her. Wonder how long that will take?

Sorry if I am repeating this but I want to get to the bottom of the problem. I hate seeing her scratching and knowing she is uncomforable. I feel so helpless. I am just at a loss as to what to do...

·
Registered
188 Posts
Paris is hot (semi-quote from Paris Hilton. Your Paris of course is much better). How old is she?

I'm sorry to hear about her dry itchy skin. Never thought about making food adjustments to alleviate any problems. Molly hasn't exhibited anything out of the norm and has been eating Hill's Science Diet. I tried switching to Iams and Purina One, but she didn't like either. I'm looking for more holistic food for her.

Sorry didn't mean to hijack your post and ramble about Molly and her food.

I sincerely hope you and Paris find a solution to her itchy skin.

mm

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You didn't hijack it...I want to hear what others are feeding their babies!

Paris will be 8 months old tomorrow. She really started the itching/chewing stuff and skin problems in January. It is a lot better than it was but it is still there. Unless I come across a miracle cure (fingers crossed) I will probably end up taking her to Dallas to see a vet. dermatologist.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
I'm having a major brain fart right now, and I'm assuming Natural Choice is the one made by Nutro? Peanut has gone through so many brands, it's hard for me to keep track of them...I know he really liked the Nutro Lamb and Rice Small Bites. And the only thing special that I noticed about that food was that it made his hair insanely shiny. He was eating a mix of Artemis Small Breed and Nutro for a while and I just decided to drop the Nutro when the bag was finished. Peanut is allergic to corn, so when I got TicTac (the breeder had him eating Eukanuba) I fed the boys separately until I got Tic weaned from Eukanuba over to Artemis.

Peanut's corn allergy caused him to chew on his feet like there was no tomorrow. His paws were constantly wet from chewing, they sort of started to look like they had tear stains on them. Other than that, he had really bad #2's and he looked bloated all the time.

I've never tried the Nupro supplement. Do you think the shampoo and conditioner you are using could be adding to the dry skin problem? I just wanted to suggest that since some of the whitening products can get a little drying for these guys. Have you ever tried an oatmeal shampoo and conditioner? That may help ease the itching just a little until you can get to the bottom of this.

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
littlepeanut,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, Natural Choice is made by Nutro. I give Paris little bits of the Lamb & Rice sticks as rewards. She absolutely loves them!

I am using Allermyl (sp?) shampoo and creme rinse which the vet gave me for her skin. I have been using this since around the first of May. I don't use whitener on her (would really like to, though). Before that I was using the puppy shampoo, conditioner, and the grooming mist from Pure Pet.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Most dogs do not have food allergies, but instead have inhalent allergies. I would talk to your vet about an antihistamine and a fatty acid supplement (like 3V Caps).

Another thought - has she been skin scraped recently for mites?

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Rex has this problem. He licks his paws all the time, which the vet says is a sign of allergies. The vet put him on K9Advantix just to be sure he didnt have fleas (I know he doesnt!!) The scratching hasnt stopped. He chews his feet too. As soon as Rex's scratched cornea is better, the vet is going to put him on antihistimes. He says it may just be a seasonal allergy. I thought that was only a human thing, but I guess not.
BTW, Rex eats Nutro Natures Choice Lamb and Rice puppy food and he loves the lamb and rice sticks too! He did the itching thing before we ever gave him this food though. We started him on half what he was on when we got him and 1/2 nutro for the first couple weeks and put less and less of his old food to help him adjust to the Nutro. It may take a good while to see a change, I am just now started to notice Rex's potty habits are becoming more consistant and he isnt having to go as often with nutro. Rex's allergies seems worse right after our grass is cut. He does a "reverse sneeze" thing a lot--that is what the vet calls it.
This probably didnt help you a bit! Good luck!

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by JMM@Jun 17 2005, 06:41 PM
Most dogs do not have food allergies, but instead have inhalent allergies. I would talk to your vet about an antihistamine and a fatty acid supplement (like 3V Caps).

Another thought - has she been skin scraped recently for mites?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=73479
[/QUOTE]

JMM

I really don't think it's a food allergy either. In your opinion, is the waiting until they are one year old before they are tested for inhalent allergies the normal thing to do? As far as the anihistamine, I gave her children's Benadryl and didn't see any difference. Is there something stronger the vet can give me?

She was scraped by my first vet back in January. He didn't find anything. My vet that I have now gave her two doses of the medicine (can't remember the name right now) for mites about a month or so ago. She is still scratching. In fact, she woke me up this morning just a chewing away on her paw.

Thanks for any help you can give.

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rexsmom and Mystify79,

Thanks for your info. I think I will go to Petsmart and see if they have any samples. I think Paris has gotten tired of her California Natural. She won't hardly eat it unless it is in her Buster Ball. Sure wish they could talk (sometimes) lol.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Originally posted by paris@Jun 18 2005, 09:17 AM
JMM

I really don't think it's a food allergy either.  In your opinion, is the waiting until they are one year old before they are tested for inhalent allergies the normal thing to do?  As far as the anihistamine, I gave her children's Benadryl and didn't see any difference.  Is there something stronger the vet can give me?

She was scraped by my first vet back in January.  He didn't find anything.  My vet that I have now gave her two doses of the medicine (can't remember the name right now) for mites about a month or so ago.  She is still scratching.  In fact, she woke me up this morning just a chewing away on her paw.

Thanks for any help you can give.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=73596
[/QUOTE]

If you are considering allergy testing and all, why not see a veterinary dermatologist now instead of waiting. If they want to wait to test, that's fine and they probably have great ideas to help with her itching. They'll want to scrape her skin again and maybe do a skin prep to look for secondary yeast and bacteria that they can treat.

Most of the time you have to play around with a few antihistamines to find one that works best. Other options include:
Chlorpheniramine (chlortimetron)
Zyrtec
Atarax (hydroxyzine)
etc.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Originally posted by paris@Jun 18 2005, 09:20 AM
Rexsmom and Mystify79,

Thanks for your info.  I think I will go to Petsmart and see if they have any samples.  I think Paris has gotten tired of her California Natural.  She won't hardly eat it unless it is in her Buster Ball.  Sure wish they could talk (sometimes) lol.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=73597
[/QUOTE]
The Buster Balls are a great way to feed them their meals! So if she is eating it out of there I wouldnt worry. Bailey wouldnt eat his food unless I put it in a Twister Buddy,and then he would eat.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Summer eats the Narural Choice Ultra she seems to like it and she's not scratching like she use to. tears stain are better to but that might be because she lost all her baby teeth
I do mix chicken or lamb with cottage cheese in it and
now she only wants it with the meat and cottage cheese
But oh let her go outside to Christy's food and quess what she snacks on the the dry kibbles just fine
Won't touch hers dry :lol: the little rat

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Originally posted by paris@Jun 17 2005, 02:47 PM
I did a search on Natural Choice and found several who used it a while back.  Does anybody still use Natural Choice and if you have switched foods have you noticed any difference?

Paris' skin is a bright pink, dry on her tummy, and she itches quite a bit and licks/chews her paws.  She was on Hill's z/d after this all started and I didn't see any improvement at all there.  She has been eating California Natural Lamb & Rice puppy dry for about five weeks now but is still scratching.

The vet wants to get her tested for allergies (he believes it is probably skin related allergies) but won't do it until she is at least a year old.  That won't be until mid-October.

I started her on Nupro twice a day last week.  She really loves that but haven't seen any difference yet in her.  Wonder how long that will take?

Sorry if I am repeating this but I want to get to the bottom of the problem.  I hate seeing her scratching and knowing she is uncomforable.  I feel so helpless.  I am just at a loss as to what to do...
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=73435
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Originally posted by paris@Jun 17 2005, 02:47 PM
I did a search on Natural Choice and found several who used it a while back.  Does anybody still use Natural Choice and if you have switched foods have you noticed any difference?

Paris' skin is a bright pink, dry on her tummy, and she itches quite a bit and licks/chews her paws.  She was on Hill's z/d after this all started and I didn't see any improvement at all there.  She has been eating California Natural Lamb & Rice puppy dry for about five weeks now but is still scratching.

The vet wants to get her tested for allergies (he believes it is probably skin related allergies) but won't do it until she is at least a year old.  That won't be until mid-October.

I started her on Nupro twice a day last week.  She really loves that but haven't seen any difference yet in her.  Wonder how long that will take?

Sorry if I am repeating this but I want to get to the bottom of the problem.  I hate seeing her scratching and knowing she is uncomforable.  I feel so helpless.  I am just at a loss as to what to do...
Busters skin was bright pink and he was licking and scratching. I took him to a dermatogist and she did skin scrapings and cultures, it turned out he had Demodex mange. So now we are Ivermectin 0.06 mls. 1x a day. I didn't want to do the mitaban dips they seemed to toxic to me. It takes awhile to get rid of it. He is also on medicated shampoo and I started him on Halo products and food to try and build up his immune system. www.halopets.com
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Originally posted by cindy6755+Jun 19 2005, 08:33 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-paris
@Jun 17 2005, 02:47 PM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=73906
[/B][/QUOTE]
OOPs

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Sorry I goof
What I wanted to say was Buster had bright pink skin and was licking and scratching. I ended up taking him to a dermatogist and she did multiple skin scrapings (3) in differant places and cultures. It turned out to be Demodex mange. I opted not to do the mitaban dips, they seemed to toxic so we are doing Ivermectin 0.06 mls 1x a day. It takes longer to get rid of it this way but seems safer. I also started him on Halo products(food and supplements) to try and build up his immune systen. http://www.halopets.com

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I made her an appointment for Thursday, June 30 with the vet. dermatologist. Hopefully, we will find a solution to her problem.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts