Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was watching tv last night around 10pm... and i saw a commerical for a news story that was going to be aired at 11pm on NBC10 news about a pill or product of some kind... that is bad for your pet... and i think i heard that its something given regulary to our pets. I fell asleep before 11 so i missed the show!!!!!!!!!!
I'm sooooo mad! I really wanna know what they were talking about... i searched the web site NBC10.com and nothing... i cant find the article. Anyone see what it was???? I tried emailing the news channel cause they are supposively good at replying to emails... but still nothing... maybe if we all ask... at least one of us will get an answer and hopefully they will post the story on the web site!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I fell asleep before it came on too. I remember seeing the pill bottle in the comercial though and I only remember it was something I have never heard of and Fantasia isn't taking it so I didn't worry too much. I think it started with a B but I am usually wrong when I say a letter it starts with lol. I checked the web site too and didn't find anything either. I will email them as well.

*ok emailed them and asked for a reply. I will let you know if they reply.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
This is the reply that I got from NBC 10!

Dear Jodi,

Allow me some time to complete some research on that particular story, as soon as the information is available, I will forward it to you.

Thanks for turning to NBC 10!
Shar'ron Walker

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
they answered me with the link to the news story!
warning
I thought it was going to be worse than this.. but it seems that the drug doesnt lead to death.. just has side effects... i thought they were talking about a pill that over a long time of use it causes death... i'm takin deep breath now!

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
yes that has always been the case w/ rimadyl..but my vet always told the side effects, and tested dogs blood work that were on it. but if ur dog has liver probs, its not a good idea to take it.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Originally posted by FannyMay@Feb 16 2005, 02:29 PM
I think it started with a B but I am usually wrong when I say a letter it starts with lol.

*ok emailed them and asked for a reply.  I will let you know if they reply.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=35886
[/QUOTE]

HAHA see I was wrong, it started with an R! Oh well. I still didn't get an answer. I wonder why they sent you a link and not me. Doesn't matter at least we know what it was now. I will have to remember that when Fantasia gets older. I am sure with all her problems that she is going to have arthritis.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
There have been concerns about Rimadyl for years. It's definately not something you'd want to keep a dog on long term for arthritis.

Deramaxx is only a few year old and in the Coxib family (like doggie Celebrex). It was thought to be much safer whan it was first introduced and it sure did help Lady's arthritis. It's also prescribed for post surgical pain.

I'm not sure how all this concern about Celebrex and Vioxx will effect it's availability down the line, though.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Actually Rimadyl can be used long-term, but you do need to continually monitor bloodwork and it is usually used at a lower dose than recommended for long-term use.

Deramaxx is a good drug, but it would not be my first choice. Again, you have the liver risks. I am actually more comfortable with Rimadyl or Etogesic just because we know what the problems with those drugs look like.

My first choice would be Metacam, mostly because you can get a nice, accurate dosage (its a liquid) and it is a good drug. Plain old buffered aspirin or ascriptin can also be used in some dogs. Zubrin is also a newer drug and seems to be much easier on the GI tract than Rimadyl or Deramaxx.

Piroxicam worked wonders on my lab for arthritis pain. It is tougher on the GI tract so you usually need to give Pepcid with it. I'm a big fan of this drug.

What is best for each dog really varies. For example, Mikey can't have any of those, but tolerates Torbutrol at low doses just fine despite his liver.

Acupuncture can also be very helpful for arthritis pain.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts