Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Yeah, I'm up in MA so snow is no big deal to us either. But, people who have lived with snow around their whole lives still can't drive well in the snow, so imagine all the people driving who have never seen snow before

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sheila is Davenport supposed to some of the ice and snow Friday and Saturday?

I was planning on going to visit my parents in Dubuque this weekend but now I'm not sure. I'm going to wait until tomorrow afternoon to decide.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Jan 20 2005, 03:53 PM
Sheila is Davenport supposed to some of the ice and snow Friday and Saturday?

I was planning on going to visit my parents in Dubuque this weekend but now I'm not sure.  I'm going to wait until tomorrow afternoon to decide.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=30575
[/QUOTE]

Yes,ice then snow starts.They say snow till late Sat.i think 4-5 in.here,and north of davenport 6-8 in.
My daughter and I leave Sun. for Tenn,for my sons surgery.So im worried about the weather that way too. So BE carefull if you decide to go.

I will update you after the news tonite.6p.m.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
The same thing happens here in Texas when we get ice or snow storms. They are so rare that we just don't have the equipment to deal with clearing roads or snow chains on tires so people are driving on ice and snow that hasn't been cleared. No snow plows in Texas!

In 1982 or 83 we had a snowstorm that dumped 13" on San Antonio. With no snow plows or stockpile of ice melting chemicals, etc., the city was literally frozen for a week. A few 4 wheel drives would go down my residential street but most people's cars were stuck in their driveways. Snow shovels? Who had a snow shovel? And if you got out of the driveway, the street was still knee deep in snow.

So, the reason some cities go into emergency mode with what to Northern cities is a normal winter day, is that they just don't have the wherewithal to cope with snow.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I remember last year there was like frost on the grass and i refused to go to school lol but thats becuase i went to a school were we had to wear a uniform that was short sleeves and shorts and i didnt own the special sweater that you were allowed to wear lol

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
We get snow in South Mississippi about once every 10 years. And the whole place grinds to a halt. No snow plows and no salt either.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I feel so bad for all of you LOL! Right now I have over 3 feet of snow in my yard with another 6 to 10 inches due Saturday. I can't wait to see the grass!!!

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I am not a native North Carolinian, but grew up in Michigan and spent my adult life in New York, so I am no stranger to snow........

Wednesday was the worst mess I have ever seen. It was only supposed to be flurries here in Raleigh and by the time the Dept. of Transporation realized it was sticking and tried to get some sand trucks out, everyone in Wake County panicked and left work at the same time. It was the grid lock that caused most of the problems as the sand trucks were stuck in the middle of it and no one could move more than a few inches at a time. And, of course, if you were stuck on a hill, you spun out every time you started moving again. Did anyone see the aerial pictures on national news? Total bumper to bumper traffic on every road in the county which were also strewn with abandoned and wrecked cars.

I was one one of the first to leave work and the normal 20 minute trip took me 3 hours! My boss left an hour after me and it took her 9 hours (she lives right by my vet). People were abandoning their cars and walking which just made things worse. People ran out of gas. Kids had to spend the night in schools.

It really was a state of emergency.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts