Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, the more I obsess about my new baby, the more I realize that a digital camera is just going to have to become part of my life I suppose. I am soooo not technically savy at all, it's truly a miracle that I can figure out these message boards!

So, I think the biggest feature the camera needs is the ability to "take" the picture quickly and to "retake" quickly as well as I doubt the baby will sit still for long.
As I've watched other people use their digital cameras I realize they are not the best for quick motion shots and/or the pictures tend to turn out grainy.

Any suggestions from y'all?

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
I really think Jaimie(LadyMontava) will be able to help you with this. When she comes back online, I will direct her this way.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
LadyMontava will definitely be able to help you on that. (Just notice that Triste posted before me! LOL)

Canon's are great. My next one will be Canon
I love my Sony. I have Sony DSC707 5 megapixels
Nikon good too

Ummm, if you're gonna spend money on digital, get at least a 3.0 megapixel one. It could be grainy from low light or if they're using digital zoom which I hate so much that that option is turned off from my camera. Other than that, it's the bestest thing to buy (LOL, photography is my hobby).

My camera is sorta funny...It has functions of a professional camera, but I dont think it is. On my camera, I can manipulate the aperture and shutter speed so I can take action pictures, but I havent completely figured out how to. LOL

Ummm, lets let LadyMon handle this! I sound like I don't know what I'm talking about!

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
For a basic camera I have the digital kodak. It has a few diff settings, one is action, and it also takes videos. I really like it because it's simple. My bf has a more professional cannon. It's a great camera, but for me it was a little too advanced for what I wanted, and what I was willing to spend.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
We recently bought Cannon Powershot G6 7.1 megapixels. Its a bit pricey, but we really like it (my fellowship covered it since I needed it for work once to take picture of mice).

·
Registered
522 Posts
I highly recommend the Canon EOS SLR digital 6.3 pixel. It cost a bit more than a thousand dollars when I purchased it but now you can find them for under $800 and you can use all Canon lens on it. I have a zoom lens for on it and a long range zoom. I also have all the Cokin Lens filters and they fit on the Canon EOS also. It's a great camera. It's not tiny, it's the size of a regular camera. It takes instant shots so you it's great for capturing the Izzy 500.

I would suggest not getting a camera with more than say 6 or 7 pixels. Anything over that is unnecessary. You can print out a great 11x14 picture (IF YOU HAVE A 12 INCH WIDE PRINTER) with a 6 pixel shot. However, not many people have printers to print out a 16x20 which is what you need higher than 7 pixels for.

Here's my camera:
http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Pr...google.datafeed

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
I have a Canon Powershot S30 3.2 megapixels. I bought it a few years ago. I love it. It's small and makes great pictures. 3.2 megapixels are enough to print out an 8 x 10 picture. Really, how many times are you going to print out pictures bigger then this ? There are a lot of features on it that you can adjust manually but I mostly use the preset features or automatic. One thing I would look at when buying a camera, is the battery. Don't get one where you have to change the batteries. They are gone quickly. I know because I have a friend who has one like this. My Canon uses Li-ion battery pack. I have two packs. When one is empty I can use the other one and recharge the empty one.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
Originally posted by 20202@Mar 23 2005, 09:36 PM
I highly recommend the Canon EOS SLR digital 6.3 pixel.  It cost a bit more than a thousand dollars when I purchased it but now you can find them for under $800 and you can use all Canon lens on it.  I have a zoom lens for on it and a long range zoom.  I also have all the Cokin Lens filters and they fit on the Canon EOS also.  It's a great camera.  It's not tiny, it's the size of a regular camera.  It takes instant shots so you it's great for capturing the Izzy 500. 

I would suggest not getting a camera with more than say 6 or 7 pixels.  Anything over that is unnecessary.  You can print out a great 11x14 picture (IF YOU HAVE A 12 INCH WIDE PRINTER) with a 6 pixel shot.  However, not many people have printers to print out a 16x20 which is what you need higher than 7 pixels for.

Here's my camera:
http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Pr...google.datafeed
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=45856
[/QUOTE]
thats the same camera I have....but for some good beginer cameras go tohttp://www.imaging-resource.com/WB/WB.HTM they have great camera reviews and have them categorized by how easy they are to use. if u have any questions, feel free to ask me

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I agree with 20202. Don't get one with too high of megapixel. You don't need it. Plus, there's this program that you can use where you're able to expand your pictures to really big sizes(like poster sizes) and the pictures would still be crisp and clear. Sorry, I dont know the name of the program. I'm just such a big help huh! PUAHAHHAHAHAAH

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I just checked the website Lady Montava provided and I didn't realize ours is a 7.3 megapixels. We did some research on it and Powershot G6 had some pretty good reviews. I didn't want to spend over $700 since it would be hard to justify to Howard Hughes why I need such an expensive one for my research. We are very happy with it. The images it takes are amazing. Its our first digital camera, so we have nothing to compare it to.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
wow! I had no idea that I should expect to spend in the $700 range for a decent camera. If that's the case, then the standard film will have to get me by for a couple of months. Blowing the savings on the dog, supplies, vet bills saved and do intend to start a savings account for him. Is there anything in the $250 and under range that could get me through the first year or so?

Thanks for the helpful websites, since I get the little guy Monday, I don't have time to research as I wish I could.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Originally posted by JCButterfly@Mar 23 2005, 10:02 PM
wow!  I had no idea that I should expect to spend in the $700 range for a decent camera.  If that's the case, then the standard film will have to get me by for a couple of months. Blowing the savings on the dog, supplies, vet bills saved and do intend to start a savings account for him.  Is there anything in the $250 and under range that could get me through the first year or so?

Thanks for the helpful websites, since I get the little guy Monday, I don't have time to research as I wish I could.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=45917
[/QUOTE]

I am sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you have to spend that much. There are definitely cheaper cameras out there and they are probably just as good. The website provided above seems helpful. We only spent that much b/c we didn't have to pay for it. I am sure you can get a decent one in your price range.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
YES! You can get a good digital camera for $250 (or lets say 250-350 to be safe
). If you're not a camera/photographer freak like some of us, then you don't need a 5+megapixel camera. My cousin has a canon 3 megapixel camera and it really is great! It's probably the same one that MalteseJane is describing. Go check out info on her camera!

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
I'm on my 3rd digital camera. Since the first one that I got, I have never used a film camera. They are the greatest. You can get a good camera for a reasonable price. I would highly suggest that you look at Optical Zoom, at least 3X. Don't even worry about digital zoom - it's the Optical that you want. My current camera is an Olympus 50C that is 5.0 megapixels. My daughters both have a Pentax Optio S that is 3.2 megapixels. The picture quality is very similar in snapshots and 5x7's with both the Olympus and the Pentax. I personally prefer a digicam that has a rechargeable battery so you don't have to worry with carrying around batteries. When we were in Europe last summer my daughters and I each had a spare battery and plenty of media. The rechargeables that come with the camera allow you to take lots of shots before the battery needs to be recharged. My dad uses a really good digicam that requires AA batteries. He uses rechargeable AA's but is constantly changing the batteries. For an amateur I also like a digicam that has a lens cover that slides. I like small cameras. My first was pretty big and I find that I'll stick in the smaller camera just about anytime. The bigger ones have to be planned for.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
I have a Sony which I really like. The only thing I don't like about it is that it doesn't take the pictures fast enough (shutter speed). I will probably get another one in a couple of years that has a better shutter speed.

·
Registered
422 Posts
If you want a point and shoot camera, small and light (4.4oz) and also fast, the minolta dimage x50 is good. It's 5mp with 2.8 optical and 4.3 digital zoom. I have one and it takes wonderful pictures of Zoey. I paid $399 but you can find it for $349 now. Research on the internet and then go to a store that has lots of cameras and will let you hold and examine them so you can get a feel for one.
Good luck. You will have fun trying to get your baby to sit still!
(It also takes quicktime movies with sound). (And uses sd cards, tiny and getting cheaper by the day)
Can you tell I loooove my camera???

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
I got my camera at BestBuy. You can use their credit card and get 0% financing for at least 6 months, sometimes more. When I got my camera they were running a 12 month thing. I also got the 0% for 12 months on any accesories I bought at that time.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Originally posted by a2z@Mar 24 2005, 12:05 PM
If you want a point and shoot camera, small and light (4.4oz) and also fast, the minolta dimage x50 is good. It's 5mp with 2.8 optical and 4.3 digital zoom. I have one and it takes wonderful pictures of Zoey. I paid $399 but you can find it for $349 now. Research on the internet and then go to a store that has lots of cameras and will let you hold and examine them so you can get a feel for one.
Good luck. You will have fun trying to get your baby to sit still!
(It also takes quicktime movies with sound). (And uses sd cards, tiny and getting cheaper by the day)
Can you tell I loooove my camera???
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=46010
[/QUOTE]

I have the same one,and I love it!!! My hubby bought it for me,best thing he EVER got me!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts