Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if you guys might have some advice I could pass along to my friend. She recently rescued (from a no-kill sanctuary) 2 min pins (brothers). I think there background wasn't a good one; possibly some abuse. They are afraid of people (but are getting better); one in particular is afraid of men. She is trying to housebreak them without success and also they constantly bark when ever people come around them. She was thinking of obediaence classes but I didn't think that was the right thing for them right now. Any advice?

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Rescue dogs come with a lot of baggage and many times people get in way over their head when they adopt one. Instead of getting a "free" dog, they can end up spending more than it would cost to buy a puppy and still have problems. With love and patience you can help a rescue deal with its past, but you can never erase it.

I would suggest having her have a trainer come to her home and evaluate the dogs. Then she will have a much better idea of what she is dealing with and how to modify the behavior.

Understanding the mind of a rescue is very important. Dogs are very security/pack oriented and it is devastating for them to be separated from their owner (pack leader), to leave the only security they ahve ever known. Just being a shelter can be emotionally damaging. I worked with Siamese rescue awhile back and I know we tried to get Siamese out of shelters ASAP!

I would suggest your friend get a copy of "Secondhand Dog" by Carol Benjamin. It is a fabulous look into the mind of the rescue and full of great advice and training tips.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
I was going to suggest a trainer come to the house too. It will be easier to work with the dogs in the beginning that way, and they will have the full attention of the trainer. Good luck to your friend!!! It was so great of your friend to adopt, but as Lady's mom said, there is a lot of baggage. I have begun to feel guilty about getting a new puppy when there are so many dogs in shelters

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by LadysMom@Mar 4 2005, 06:49 AM
Rescue dogs come with a lot of baggage and many times people get in way over their head when they adopt one. Instead of getting a "free" dog, they can end up spending more than it would cost to buy a puppy and still have problems. With love and patience you can help a rescue deal with its past, but you can never erase it.

I would suggest having her have a trainer come to her home and evaluate the dogs. Then she will have a much better idea of what she is dealing with and how to modify the behavior.

Understanding the mind of a rescue is very important. Dogs are very security/pack oriented and it is devastating for them to be separated from their owner (pack leader), to leave the only security they ahve ever known. Just being a shelter can be emotionally damaging. I worked with Siamese rescue awhile back and I know we tried to get Siamese out of shelters ASAP!

I would suggest your friend get a copy of "Secondhand Dog" by Carol Benjamin. It is a fabulous look into the mind of the rescue and full of great advice and training tips.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=39809
[/QUOTE]

Originally posted by littlepeanut@Mar 4 2005, 07:56 AM
I was going to suggest a trainer come to the house too.  It will be easier to work with the dogs in the beginning that way, and they will have the full attention of the trainer.  Good luck to your friend!!!  It was so great of your friend to adopt, but as Lady's mom said, there is a lot of baggage.  I have begun to feel guilty about getting a new puppy when there are so many dogs in shelters
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=39826
[/QUOTE]

Thank you guys!! I will let her know about getting a trainer! She loves them too much to give up!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts