Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might be a long post, so feel free to flee

I have a dilemma. I'm a grad student (English) and I recently found out about a teaching position (also English) opening up near my house next fall. It's a great school with only 200 students. Its a college prep oriented charter school. I have wanted to teach for a long time, but I've also been bouncing around thinking maybe I should try to open my store (most of you already know about it, I thought about opening a dog clothing store so the dogs could go to work with me).
I just don't know which dream to follow. Sometimes I think I just want the store so the dogs can go to work with me and I might be giving up a great job with retirement and insurance. Also, I'm single and I want to adopt someday, and teaching would give me the same holidays and my child. I feel so confused. I really don't know if I should send in a resume or not. I want too much I think. I know I could teach and save money to do the store thing later, but my grandmother was a teacher for twenty years so I know through watching her that teaching isn't something you can do half-heartedly. I love the idea of teaching, I guess I'm just scared. Ok, so now that I've taken up so much space rambling, I guess what I'm asking is this:
Will Bella and Harley understand that I have to work to provide for them? I know its a silly question, but I also know this forum is the one place full of people who love their dogs as much as me and won't laugh at this question


Teachers, do you like teaching now as much as you did when you started? Or were you scared to death the first day but maybe you like it now?

Do you think in the long run I will have more time with the dogs as a teacher than I would as a small business owner?

What grade level do you prefer? (There is an opening at the same school for first grade)

Sorry this is so long, but I knew I could come here and talk about this with people who love their animals, and they are such a huge part of my life.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,428 Posts
I would say turn in your resume and see what happens. If you get the job and decide after a year you don't like it you can then try to pursue the dog store.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,856 Posts
I'm not a teacher but am married to a coach/athletic trainer so I am around teachers all the time, does that count?

Why not apply for the job and see what happens. If you are not happy teaching you can always pursue your other dream.

As far as your babies are concerned I think once they get used to your new routine everything will be fine. I work 5 days a week and always have since we've had Paris. She is fine with it. She never cries when I leave and she is always SO happy to see me when I get home. I come home every day at lunch so she is never alone more than four hours.

As far as having more time, I think you will have more time as a teacher. Sure you may be grading papers at home but you will be home. If you were to have your own store, there may be times that you will be there from sun up to sun down. Not to mention all the worries that go with it.

These are just my opinions. I wish you all the luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by paris@Nov 18 2005, 02:49 PM
As far as your babies are concerned I think once they get used to your new routine everything will be fine.  I work 5 days a week and always have since we've had Paris.  She is fine with it.  She never cries when I leave and she is always SO happy to see me when I get home.  I come home every day at lunch so she is never alone more than four hours.

As far as having more time, I think you will have more time as a teacher.  Sure you may be grading papers at home but you will be home.  If you were to have your own store, there may be times that you will be there from sun up to sun down.  Not to mention all the worries that go with it.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=120953
[/QUOTE]
I also work 5 days a week. The girls are fine. I think they sleep the entire time I'm gone.

I agree about having more time as a teacher. There would be a lot of worries and hours if you owned your own store. Plus a lot of businesses fail during their first year.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by paris@Nov 18 2005, 02:49 PM
I'm not a teacher but am married to a coach/athletic trainer so I am around teachers all the time, does that count?

Why not apply for the job and see what happens.  If you are not happy teaching you can always pursue your other dream.

As far as your babies are concerned I think once they get used to your new routine everything will be fine.  I work 5 days a week and always have since we've had Paris.  She is fine with it.  She never cries when I leave and she is always SO happy to see me when I get home.  I come home every day at lunch so she is never alone more than four hours.

As far as having more time, I think you will have more time as a teacher.  Sure you may be grading papers at home but you will be home.  If you were to have your own store, there may be times that you will be there from sun up to sun down.  Not to mention all the worries that go with it.

These are just my opinions.  I wish you all the luck!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=120953
[/QUOTE]

Thanks
I think I might have more time at home as a teacher too. I talked with a woman that owns a day spa last week and she said she's the first person to work in the morning and the last to leave, and she can't sleep if she leaves someone else to lock up. I'm glad you think the babies would be ok. I don't think I would be able to come home at lunch because the school is about 20 minutes from home
but the school closer to my house might be an option later on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Kristi, your post reminds me that at least Bella has Harley now, and Harley has Bella, so technically they're never really all alone
I think thats the best benefit of having two so far!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by bellasmommy@Nov 18 2005, 02:59 PM
Kristi, your post reminds me that at least Bella has Harley now, so technically she's never really all alone
  I think thats the best benefit of having two so far!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=120958
[/QUOTE]
When you go some place do you let them have free reign of the house? Or do you confine them? If you confine them is it a crate, pen or room? Since you won't be able to come home at lunch maybe you could try confining them to a pen or a room. That way they have room to play if they want. Also are they outside trained or pad trained? If they are outside trained can they hold it for the amount of time you would be gone?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom+Nov 18 2005, 03:02 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-bellasmommy
@Nov 18 2005, 02:59 PM
Kristi, your post reminds me that at least Bella has Harley now, so technically she's never really all alone
  I think thats the best benefit of having two so far!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=120958
When you go some place do you let them have free reign of the house? Or do you confine them? If you confine them is it a crate, pen or room? Since you won't be able to come home at lunch maybe you could try confining them to a pen or a room. That way they have room to play if they want. Also are they outside trained or pad trained? If they are outside trained can they hold it for the amount of time you would be gone?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=120963
[/B][/QUOTE]

I don't confine them, Bella never needed to be confined and it didn't seem right to keep them separated when we got Harley, so far so good. They use Pooch Pads indoors, so I don't think that would be a problem, but I'm not sure because I usually put out a clean one at least three times a day :new_Eyecrazy:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
174 Posts
As I have said several times, my parents own an exotic fish store. They have owned it for some 27 years I think. I can tell you that running your own business is extremely difficult. It's long hours, lots of worries, difficult finding employees. When its slow, they are constantly worried if they're going to be able to pay all the bills (and they always do, but they've been lucky and have worked extremely hard). I can't stress how much work it is.

I don't mean to scare you or deter you from opening your own business, I just want to give you some information. My parents are always telling me to find a job where I have a paycheck every two weeks...

What about opening an online store? Or maybe you have a part of your house that you can set up as a store and have it "opened to the public" on the weekends or something. I have a client who sells crystals and rare rocks from his house, and he does very decent money that way. You don't have double the rent, and if you sell online, it still looks like you have an actual place to sell out of. Can decorate and everything.

Anyway, I just keep rambling. At times, I've thought about just taking over my parents business for them but the hard work and the uncertainty of it always makes me send out another resume. lol.

Right now I am working for my parents, and always bring Codi to work with me. He has the area behind the counter to play, eat and sleep. When its busy, he gets ignored and sleeps the entire time. Lately, he seems to have become more protective and starts to bark more (I'm putting an end to this, we've pulled the water bottle and now he is well-behaved again) but if your dogs are protective, they will start to bark at everyone who comes in. And especially if other dogs come in. I love bringing Codi to work with me, but sometimes its just a pain.

Ok, I think I've said enough. If you have any questions regarding this side ... of owning your own business (I'll be amazed considering how much I've written, lol) please ask! This is one area that I have loads of experience in!! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by wizzyb@Nov 18 2005, 03:54 PM
As I have said several times, my parents own an exotic fish store. They have owned it for some 27 years I think. I can tell you that running your own business is extremely difficult. It's long hours, lots of worries, difficult finding employees. When its slow, they are constantly worried if they're going to be able to pay all the bills (and they always do, but they've been lucky and have worked extremely hard). I can't stress how much work it is.

I don't mean to scare you or deter you from opening your own business, I just want to give you some information. My parents are always telling me to find a job where I have a paycheck every two weeks...

What about opening an online store? Or maybe you have a part of your house that you can set up as a store and have it "opened to the public" on the weekends or something. I have a client who sells crystals and rare rocks from his house, and he does very decent money that way. You don't have double the rent, and if you sell online, it still looks like you have an actual place to sell out of. Can decorate and everything.

Anyway, I just keep rambling. At times, I've thought about just taking over my parents business for them but the hard work and the uncertainty of it always makes me send out another resume. lol.

Right now I am working for my parents, and always bring Codi to work with me. He has the area behind the counter to play, eat and sleep. When its busy, he gets ignored and sleeps the entire time. Lately, he seems to have become more protective and starts to bark more (I'm putting an end to this, we've pulled the water bottle and now he is well-behaved again) but if your dogs are protective, they will start to bark at everyone who comes in. And especially if other dogs come in. I love bringing Codi to work with me, but sometimes its just a pain.

Ok, I think I've said enough. If you have any questions regarding this side ... of owning your own business (I'll be amazed considering how much I've written, lol) please ask! This is one area that I have loads of experience in!!  :D
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=120993
[/QUOTE]

Its great to hear the reality of it all. I tend to look at it with my rose colored glasses on. I do think Bella would bark a lot at the customers, and I'm sure that would get pretty annoying quick, to both me and the clients. Your point about all the stress of business ownership is also a great one. I'm obsessive compulsive and I don't know if I would ever rest with all that weight on my shoulders (the financial side). Thanks for your advice
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
416 Posts
I may sound kind of like a nay sayer but....

This may sound like a funny question, but are you certified to teach? A lot of states have rules about you have to be certified to teach, especially with the young ones. There's a lot of research about how K-3 is what affects the kids by a whole lot. They're giving fed money to bring down the size of the schools and hire more teachers. Mostly they're looking for "Highly Qualified" teachers.

I'm not trying to push you away from teaching, I absolutely love it. I'm a high school math teacher and really enjoy what I do. I often forget I get paid to do what I do. Trust me teaching isnt for the money. They money sucks for teachers for the most part.

I guess what I'm saying is make sure its something that your heart really wants to do. I teacher who isn't into what they're doing isn't going to do very well.

Boom does just fine while I'm gone. Granted I'm married and living with family so its not just me, but he's pretty excited to see me when I get home at 3:45. I leave and I know he's going to sleep in the morning, he has that look of "Mommy, why'd you wake me?"


As far as the time thing goes, by the time I get home I'm beat. It's how I know I got a good day in and did my job though. I have tests and papers to grade, sporting events to go to and that kind of thing. I make the time to spend with Boom in the evening for play and cuddle.

If you really want to find out what teaching's like I'd suggest getting on your area sub list and go from there. They pay pretty decently too. If you decide to do an online store you could also sub if you wanted. The requirements for a sub are lower so its easier to get that job. You can decide if you want to work that day or not, it works out pretty well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by Boom Boom's Mom@Nov 18 2005, 05:54 PM
I may sound kind of like a nay sayer but....

This may sound like a funny question, but are you certified to teach? <div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=121024
[/QUOTE]

nah, you don't sound like a nay sayer
I like that everyone here is honest and open with me. I have passed the 8-12 English Exam for Texas teachers, and my degree is in English also. My MA that I am still working on is also in English. I have taken education courses and completed a certification program. I enjoyed my field experience and all, I'm just weighing my options. I'm glad you love your job, thats very encouraging. I have been on sub list in the past, and boy was that an experience. Its hard to step into someones elses classroom, but I did notice that everytime I liked the kids, maybe not the instructions I was left, but the kids were great.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,319 Posts
I am not a teacher nor am I married to one (although my husband does have a PhD). However, I just want to point out that my baby does fine for 8+ hours at home. He has never destroyed anything, doesn't bark or howl and chews his bones or sleeps when we are gone (because everything is untouched). On the weekends when we drag him everywhere with us he seems soooo sleep deprived!! We take him for walks before work and after work and he does great. He has no separation anxiety so leaving him at home hasn't harmed him in any way. When I have kids, I plan to leave them at home when I go to work (and that's okay by everyone's stands) so why is this not okay for the dog? Sorry, I LOVE my baby, but I love my work too and someone needs to buy him all the treats and toys he requires. :new_Eyecrazy:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by okw@Nov 18 2005, 11:55 PM
I am not a teacher nor am I married to one (although my husband does have a PhD).  However, I just want to point out that my baby does fine for 8+ hours at home.  He has never destroyed anything, doesn't bark or howl and chews his bones or sleeps when we are gone (because everything is untouched).  On the weekends when we drag him everywhere with us he seems soooo sleep deprived!!  We take him for walks before work and after work and he does great.  He has no separation anxiety so leaving him at home hasn't harmed him in any way.  When I have kids, I plan to leave them at home when I go to work (and that's okay by everyone's stands) so why is this not okay for the dog?  Sorry, I LOVE my baby, but I love my work too and someone needs to buy him all the treats and toys he requires. :new_Eyecrazy:
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=121123
[/QUOTE]

I'm glad your Malt does so well while you're away. I think a big part of my problem is that I think of Bella and Harley as my children, but I don't really plan on changing that
If I ever have human children I don't know what I'll do, I'm sure I'll be a nutcase. There should be some kind of funding for stay at home moms without hubbies or trust funds
I think Bella and Harley wil be fine, I don't know about me, but they'll be fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,319 Posts
Originally posted by bellasmommy+Nov 18 2005, 10:08 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-okw
@Nov 18 2005, 11:55 PM
I am not a teacher nor am I married to one (although my husband does have a PhD).  However, I just want to point out that my baby does fine for 8+ hours at home.  He has never destroyed anything, doesn't bark or howl and chews his bones or sleeps when we are gone (because everything is untouched).  On the weekends when we drag him everywhere with us he seems soooo sleep deprived!!  We take him for walks before work and after work and he does great.  He has no separation anxiety so leaving him at home hasn't harmed him in any way.  When I have kids, I plan to leave them at home when I go to work (and that's okay by everyone's stands) so why is this not okay for the dog?  Sorry, I LOVE my baby, but I love my work too and someone needs to buy him all the treats and toys he requires. :new_Eyecrazy:
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=121123
I'm glad your Malt does so well while you're away. I think a big part of my problem is that I think of Bella and Harley as my children, but I don't really plan on changing that
If I ever have human children I don't know what I'll do, I'm sure I'll be a nutcase. There should be some kind of funding for stay at home moms without hubbies or trust funds
I think Bella and Harley wil be fine, I don't know about me, but they'll be fine.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=121129
[/B][/QUOTE]

I never said I don't think of my malt as my child. He is my child -- I said that even when I have human ones, I will still need to leave them at home. I didn't go through all my years of training to be an at home mom.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,652 Posts
I would say follow what your heart tells you. You could put your resume in and wait and see what comes up. The good thing about a regular job is you have a paycheck coming in on a regular basis, you have insurance and a retirement to look forward to. Also you definately will have a lot more time at home when school is out than you would with your own business to run. Either way if your heart is in what ever choice you make then you can succeed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally posted by okw@Nov 19 2005, 12:13 AM
I never said I don't think of my malt as my child.  He is my child -- I said that even when I have human ones, I will still need to leave them at home.  I didn't go through all my years of training to be an at home mom.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=121131
[/QUOTE]

I was just talking about me, I know you love Miko

I have great respect for stay at home moms (hardest job in the world in my book), career women, and working moms. I'm just trying to decide what I want and thinking out loud, I don't even have children yet. Didn't mean anything by it
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Originally posted by Scoobydoo@Nov 19 2005, 10:33 AM
I would say follow what your heart tells you. You could put your resume in and wait and see what comes up. The good thing about a regular job is you have a paycheck coming in on a regular basis, you have insurance and a retirement to look forward to. Also you definately will have a lot more time at home when school is out than you would with your own business to run. Either way if your heart is in what ever choice you make then you can succeed.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=121177
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm thinking about putting in my resume and seeing what happens. I have wanted to teach for a long time (the dog store is a recent development
) so I could try it for a year or two and it might be right where I need to be. You're right on about insurance and retirement, that would ease my mind.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top