Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

We're looking for new living room furniture and are thinking of buying a leather sofa and loveseat. Anyone have any experience or advice to share? I was wondering what the furbabies little nails do to the leather.

Thanks,
Debbie

·
Registered
552 Posts
We JUST got a leather sofa a month ago! While we were very disappointed that the cat liked to scratch on it, Dora's nails did nothing to it. She got groomed just before the sofa arrived so her nails were so short she just slides around on it. Her nails don't seem to be sharp enough to do damage now a month after grooming. We got the cat a cat tree and he and Dora both like it. :w00t:

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Debbie, I have two friends with multiple malts who bought leather furniture. Both were sorry they did because of scratch marks. I don't know if maybe a better quality leather wouldn't show the marks as much but I don't think I'm going to chance it.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Hi,

My daughter has a leather divan and her Yorkie doesn't get on furniture. When I go down I have to be careful as Toby has jumped on the divan and has made scratch marks on it, I think she has some kind of cleaner she uses on it but if they are deep scratches it doesn't work. So when I'm there I but a blanket on her divan.

Linda and Toby :thumbsup:

·
Registered
149 Posts
We have leather-only, even though we'd prefer something else, BECAUSE of our pets. (the hair, from the other 4)

It's really expensive leather...maybe that is the difference because my experience is positive...the maltese nails don't do anything to it, even when she tries to dig to china which she does nightly. My biggest dog (46 lb) has terrible nails and lives on the couch. I mean, they both make marks but it fades away into the distressed look. Our cats are declawed on the front.

·
Premium Member
6,469 Posts
My mom has all leather and while it is very good quality we still have to be very careful with Hunter because nails can scratch (also, she doesn't like the distressed look so her leather is very tight and dark). Many people with dogs swear by leather while others say avoid it at all costs. Personally, I don't like leather so I'm in the avoiding category for different reasons. Have you spoken with the store you are interested in purchasing from and talked to them about their thoughts given the grade of leather? That might be a good place to start :)

·
Premium Member
2,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My mom has all leather and while it is very good quality we still have to be very careful with Hunter because nails can scratch (also, she doesn't like the distressed look so her leather is very tight and dark). Many people with dogs swear by leather while others say avoid it at all costs. Personally, I don't like leather so I'm in the avoiding category for different reasons. Have you spoken with the store you are interested in purchasing from and talked to them about their thoughts given the grade of leather? That might be a good place to start :)
Hi Erin,

Yes, we asked the people at the store and they say that the dogs shouldn't do anything to the leather.... but I don't know if they're just saying that to sell me the furniture or not. Thanks for your input.

BTW... I hope that Hunter is feeling better...

·
Premium Member
2,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We JUST got a leather sofa a month ago! While we were very disappointed that the cat liked to scratch on it, Dora's nails did nothing to it. She got groomed just before the sofa arrived so her nails were so short she just slides around on it. Her nails don't seem to be sharp enough to do damage now a month after grooming. We got the cat a cat tree and he and Dora both like it. :w00t:
The salesperson told us that if we keep the dogs nails trimmed, we should have no problems. Thanks for the input!

·
Premium Member
3,223 Posts
I have had my black leather sofa and chair for over a year now, and so far I LOVE them. I think they are fabulous with the dogs.

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
I just sold my two leather sofas. Only because we moved and I wanted lighter furniture. Lola scratched on it occasionally, but nothing a quick wipe with a leather conditioner wouldn't remove. Good quality leather is great for the dogs I find. Even eating bully sticks never made a mark. Do make sure the leather is dyed all the way through though, and of a thick good quality. I like Natuzzi.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I love my leather. Spookie digs on it, nothing happens. My poodle insisted it was indoor plumbing and peed on it constantly, it's ok. Dog ways it's great, just a little chilly when first sitting on it. My grandkids don't even damage it.

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
Not for diggers

My family room couch is ALL scratched they are leather. But I find that it is a lot easier to clean than fabric. but Ladie digs from Florida to Europe when she is angry! :HistericalSmiley::HistericalSmiley::HistericalSmiley:eek:r someone takes her pillow ( God forbid ):innocent:

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
Quality matters. We have a nice Flexsteel recliner for my DH that has (regular, not split? hide) nice leather that was dyed all the way through. Not a single scratch after 5 years. Super cheap leather furniture upstairs and the leather is actually cracking on the surface on the arms!

I like how easy it is to clean the leather and I like that leather doesn't hang onto any strange smells, but I miss the snuggle quality of fabric.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I love my leather furniture. I was really worried about scratches when I bought my couch. Each time I went to look at a sofa I asked the sales person to let me look at a sample piece of the leather. I took the sample piece and scratched it with my nail. If it left a scratch mark I passed. I have had my sofa for 5 years and love it. I have 3 dogs and it looks as good as the day I brought it home. It is so easy to clean. Did I say I love it

·
Membership Suspended
2,839 Posts
You need to make sure it is full grain leather. How it is tanned makes the difference in how it wears, and what is required for maintenance.

Take a look at this site: American Leather - American Leather It explains how this particular brand is made. This brand is beautiful, and I woud consider expensive, but one of the best. :)

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
I love my leather sectional. It's 2 years old now and not a scratch. I put a blanket in the corner for Alex and I don't let him dig and scratch on it. He seems to like MY place better when I am not sitting there. And he LOVES to sit on the top. That gives him a good view to the outside.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Personally, I don't care for leather furniture. We had it in our family room and moved it up to our media room. It's fine there. When we move, it'll go to my daughter. At any rate, to answer your question, we've had 3 Maltese and a Cairn Terrier on it, and it still looks new. Good luck whatever you decide.

·
Premium Member
2,388 Posts
We have leather, it is the destressed kind so the marks show then fade. Lilly has a blanket down when she lays on the couch. We have recliners that have the polished kind of leather and no scratches show up on them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts