Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Abbey is trained to potty outside but whenever we leave her for extended amount of time I place a pee pad down for her. My problem is that she misses half the pad or it leaks.
I purchased a litter box for dogs and the pee pad fits exactly in it. I left it out in the bathroom with pee pad in it and when we came home, Abbey had done her business on the floor!
I have introduced it to her when she rang her bell to potty outside and I have taken her to pee pad instead but she refuses to use pee pad in or out of the box when we are home. I am wanting to use this as a back up for winter when it snows, so does anyone have any advice how I get Abbey to use the litter box? Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I tried to get Kylee to use the litterbox and she wanted nothing to do with it...sooo I bought a pee pad holder from petedge and this seemed to fix her problem of spilling over onto the floor when she went on it. The one from Petedge has pretty high sides so she knows to go in it onto the pad instead of stay on the edge.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Hmmm...I dunno. Brinkley took the litterpan pretty well.
I did leave one pad outside the litterpan for a few days. When I saw he was using both, I took the one on the floor away. Maybe that will help. It might also help for a day or two to just put a soiled pad in the bottom and a clean pad on the top of it. This way she can smell it and will go back to that spot. Just an idea. Maybe it would work.

Good luck!
I love using the doggy litter pan. Every once in a while he still walks out of it while pooing...but not too bad.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
MAke sure that you have the litter pan in the same place she is accustomed too, and use an old wee wee pad so she knows the smell. Good luck!!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
My Zani uses a pee pad in a litter pan also. What kind of pan are you using? Does it have one open side so they can easily walk in or are all four sides the same height? Try using one with one side open. I don't think they like to feel "trapped" with a pan where all four sides are the same height.

Also, first thing in the morning don't let her use the potty outside. Make her use the pan. She'll have to go potty real bad in the morning so she won't be able to protest for very long. Stand in front of the pan where the open side is so she can't walk out. She'll have to stay on the pad until she goes potty. Tell her to go potty and don't walk away or let her out of the pan until she does then give her a treat.

Another trick is to buy a small bag of Purina Secondnature Dog Litter. (Petco) Just put 3 or 4 of these in the corner of the pan where she won't step on them. (They're hard and she won't want to step on them) The litter has a special smell which will encourage her to potty.

The Purina Secondnature Dog Litter pans (I use a large) are great.

Here's a link if you haven't seen these pans. Good Luck!!!

http://www.doglitter.com/GetPage.aspx?CMP=...15832&T=3001581

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the large one also, with the opening in the front. I made sure to get the large so she could do her circle dance!
She acts like she is just so confined and walks around looking for a way to get out. I've used the spray to attract them to go, the scented pee pads, and I even tried an already used pee pad. I may have to eat the cost of it and purchase a pee pad holder instead.
Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
571 Posts
I finally gave up with the one I got for Angel. She simply refused to go in it and would go on the floor or rug every time. I tried putting a pad in it and still no go
So I finally went back to the pad in the frame on the floor and going outside again. ( I hate rainy days yuk) Angel dosen't seem to mind the rain that much though and Tag figures its a great way to have fun rolling in the wet grass.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Lacey used the litterpan with a peepad in it. I used the large one from Purnina. Lacey did well with it but the problem was that her paws would get stinky from stepping on the used pad. I now use the Wizdog and I love it. I keep it in the same place. Lacey does go outside to do her business but she also uses the Wizdog...mostly to pee on. Don't know what she is going to want to do this winter with all the snow we get. I know I don't want to go outside so hopefully she will go back to using the Wizdog and not wanting to go outside.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts