Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I did my weekly grooming routine on Massimo. While I was blow drying him, I found a red spot on him. It's about the size of a dime. I'm afraid it's lyme disease, but I don't know how he could get it because a tick has to become fully engorged to cause it, right? I mean I THINK I would have noticed a tick on my baby, I hold him constantly and I brush him daily. I read that it takes like 24 hours for a tick to become full and drop off.....and I've never seen one on him. He's not sick in any way, not lathargic and his appitite is fine, but I'm worried sick. I'm calling the Vet tomorrow, but I thought I'd seek advice from you trusted Malt lovers first. I took pictures, they're not the best, but they show the spot.

Thanks,
Carrie

·
Registered
608 Posts
Originally posted by Holliberry@May 11 2005, 08:17 PM
That almost looks like ringworm.  A friend of mine just had something like that on herself. Her Dr. said it was from her new cats.  That is usually cleared up with a cream.  I know its hard not to worry. 

Will send thoughts your way for a good diagnosis

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=61721
[/QUOTE]

I have to agree with her it does look like ringworm.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Yep, looks like ringworm to me, too.

Ringworm is contagious to humans. If it is ringworm, you'll both have to get treatment (it's a minor ointment treatment for humans). It spreads, so if you touch it keep washing your hands.

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your advice....even though I find it EXTREMELY disgusting, I'm glad it might not be anything serious. Problem is, he's very loved...he sleeps in my bed and my family and kids are ALWAYS holding him. So, if it is ringworm, then will we ALL contract it? And how do I keep Massimo from getting it again? WHERE did he get it from? I'll be calling my vet in the morning, thanks again!

-c

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
doesnt really look like ring worm to me..uslually the area would be hairless...but maybe its early on

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by dhodina+May 11 2005, 08:28 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Holliberry
@May 11 2005, 08:17 PM
That almost looks like ringworm.  A friend of mine just had something like that on herself. Her Dr. said it was from her new cats.  That is usually cleared up with a cream.  I know its hard not to worry. 

Will send thoughts your way for a good diagnosis

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=61721
I have to agree with her it does look like ringworm.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=61723
[/B][/QUOTE]

I thought ringworm right away too...but am curious as to where he would have gotten it...I know it is very contagious...but harmless once you start the treatment of the cream...
Good luck...let us know what you find out about it...

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
This appears more like a reaction tick bite than ringworm ( usually there is no hair with ringworm but as was mentioned it may be early stage.)
I have seen many tick bites on both human and animals.. and from the photo it does resemble that.
just to give you a bit of encouragement on gals pooch who did have a tic bite and a reaction as such you have shown.. it was not a lyme disease carrying tick.. it was another species and the redness was simple a localized allergic reaction.
I was told to put a bit of peroxide on a cotton ball and put on any bite I see as suspicious.. ( allow it to "fizzle" a bit) wipe off and then follow up with alcohol.
The sooner done the better chance of killing off the bacteria.
Missysmom

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
It could be something else, for sure. So hard to tell with a red blotch!

If it is ringworm, it won't necessarily be contagious to everyone.

One of my dogs got this several years ago, and he and I were the only ones affected (in a 3 dog, 3 person home). It took a few weeks to clear up.

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did the peroxide and alcohol thing and it didn't fizzle....I took a pic after I did that and it looks like a target. There is no hair loss that I can tell.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Originally posted by Carrie@May 11 2005, 10:31 PM
I did the peroxide and alcohol thing and it didn't fizzle....I took a pic after I did that and it looks like a target.  There is no hair loss that I can tell. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=61745
[/QUOTE]

Looks like a tick bite to me, one of my larger dogs had something like that years ago. When we went to the Vet he said it was a tick bite, tested for lyme disease and it was neg.

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
Originally posted by Carrie@May 11 2005, 10:31 PM
I did the peroxide and alcohol thing and it didn't fizzle....I took a pic after I did that and it looks like a target.  There is no hair loss that I can tell. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=61745
[/QUOTE]

It does look even more like tick bite to me now.. so get to the vet and have it checked out. Antibiotic usually take care of things nicely when caught early IF it is and you likely caught this early.
missysmom

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks everyone! Of course, when I found it, it was 9:00 at night and I freaked out. I was already planning to go to the vet today <still too early> but I was looking for peace of mind so I could sleep. I know that sounds extreme, but if it was ringworm <which I'm thinking it's not> then I wouldn't have been able to sleep while he wanted to snuggle against my head.....
Anyway, thanks again and when I find out exactly what it is I'll let you know.

-c

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, the Vet's not "open" right now, but I did call and talk to him. He said that it's NOT ringworm. He said to put an antibiotic ointment on the area and watch it. He said there was no reason to bring him in and be charged an office visit and treatment when he would just do what he recomended. He also said that there hasn't been any cases of Lyme reported in our area so it probably not the case.
So needless to say, I'm relieved.

-c

1 - 20 of 30 Posts