Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so am I a bad mommy or just inexperienced? I had to find a new groomer for Baxter and I really like her. Baxter was very relaxed and she did a (good) job but she had asked me not to feed or give fluids to Baxter the day of the grooming. His appointment was at 2:00 p.m.
This lady said she went to two years of pre-med and worked for a vet for many years but decided she did not like the medical part, so she started a grooming business and she has a great business. I was only able to get Baxter in because of the passing of one of her dog clients.
So I'm thinking she is pretty knowlegable but I hate with holding fluid and food from Baxter all day. The problem was I allowed Baxter water 2 hours prior to the appointment and took him to potty but during the grooming session she said he had to potty ALOT!!
Sorry about the rambling, my question is she told me not to give him over 1/4 cup of water per day every day. I leave a bowl out for Baxter all day! We are potty training and he is about 85-90% trained, and occasional accident especially when nervous. Should I only give him a 1/4 cup water per day???

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Originally posted by DanaH@Mar 9 2005, 10:38 AM
Ok, so am I a bad mommy or just inexperienced?  I had to find a new groomer for Baxter and I really like her.  Baxter was very relaxed and she did a (good) job but she had asked me not to feed or give fluids to Baxter the day of the grooming.  His appointment was at 2:00 p.m. 
  This lady said she went to two years of pre-med and worked for a vet for many years but decided she did not like the medical part, so she started a grooming business and she has a great business.  I was only able to get Baxter in because of the passing of one of her dog clients. 
  So I'm thinking she is pretty knowlegable but I hate with holding fluid and food from Baxter all day.  The problem was I allowed Baxter water 2 hours prior to the appointment and took him to potty but during the grooming session she said he had to potty ALOT!!
  Sorry about the rambling, my question is she told me not to give him over 1/4 cup of water per day every day.  I leave a bowl out for Baxter all day!  We are potty training and he is about 85-90% trained, and occasional accident especially when nervous.  Should I only give him a 1/4 cup water per day???
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=41330
[/QUOTE]

Dana, you are not a bad mommy! Just the fact that you are asking about this on the forum shows your good judgement and concern for your furbaby!

Your groomer's admonition to give your pup no more than 1/4 cup of water per day is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. Dogs should be given free access to as much water they need. Think about this: in cruelty and neglect investigation, the first thing investigators look for is: does the dog have water? Failure to provide water is considered to be the first sign of neglect/abuse.

Your groomer is a groomer. Groomers are hairstylists for dogs. Would you take medical advice from your hairstylist? If she had completed medical school, she would be a vet. If she were a vet, she'd be a veterinarian, not a groomer. And, believe me, if she were a veterinarian she would not be telling you to give your poor dog 1/4 cup of water a day!

·
Registered
894 Posts
This groomer is wrong on SOOOOO many levels!! One of our major problems with Sisse was that she was NOT drinking enough water. This sounds to be simply a case where the groomer does NOT want to be bothered taking the puppy to the potty when they need to go..... and as stated above, she is NOT a Vet!! She obviously does not know much about the breed, they really should not be without food and water for any length of time (unless you are having a surgery or something as directed by your Vet). I'd find someone else if I were you.......

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you so much for your input. My husband also said this was ridiculous. He said he did not care what she said or thought that Baxter was ours and he would always have access to food and water ALL DAY, EVERYDAY!! Unless as mentioned we were advised not to by our VET. I guess I just needed some reassurance by all of you. I know we are potty training but I never once thought about restricting Baxter's water intake. She just made me question myself, I only want the absolute best for my furbaby!

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I have to agree...don't withhold water. Lacey is given a big, fresh bowl of water every morning. Nice and cold just the way she likes it. When I come home from work I empty the bowl and give fresh and do the same before I go to bed. My two cats and dog seem to enjoy the water when it is cold and fresh, especially my little cat.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I have never heard of that either. I believed I asked you this before but forgot. Where exactly are you from? How far from nashville? I went to 2 places and never had a problem with them. Cost at both places is about 35 bucks.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I live in Gibson County, approx, 3 to 4 hrs. from Nashville. Not far on one hand, but too far on the other to find a GOOD groomer. I live in a small town with not a lot to choose from and I am not sure I can do a good job grooming myself.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Awww. Well how long do you keep them at the groomers? I say forget what she says and give him what he needs. She wouldnt know. Or look around for other groomers

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
My first response when I ready the original post was that the groomer was going to use medication to keep the pup calm. I would make sure, with any groomer, that it is not done.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Baxter was at the groomer for about 1 hour and 45 min. She said she wanted to go slow so not to scare him. Baxter has been groomed on a regular basis since I first brought him home. Our vet suggested taking him every 2 weeks just for little things until he was comfortable with the groomer. I now try to take him every 4 weeks for 1 to 2 hr. depending on the groomer. She did a good job on the grooming it is just the other advice she was handing out that I was not so sure about. Like she also told me that I should keep him in a smaller crate when I am not home with him so he would feel more secure and not have accidents. I was keeping him in a medium sized crate during the day when not at home and I felt it was not enough room so I got him an exercise pen that is collapsable I set up in the kitchen and turn the TV on music videos and place his bed and a few toys in. He is getting to where now he does not "cry" as often when I leave so I thought it was a good thing till she spoke up. She just made me question myself as to whether I was taking proper care of him.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Originally posted by DanaH@Mar 9 2005, 12:49 PM
Baxter was at the groomer for about 1 hour and 45 min.  She said she wanted to go slow so not to scare him.  Baxter has been groomed on a regular basis since I first brought him home.  Our vet suggested taking him every 2 weeks just for little things until he was comfortable with the groomer.  I now try to take him every 4 weeks for 1 to 2 hr. depending on the groomer.  She did a good job on the grooming it is just the other advice she was handing out that I was not so sure about.  Like she also told me that I should keep him in a smaller crate when I am not home with him so he would feel more secure and not have accidents.  I was keeping him in a medium sized crate during the day when not at home and I felt it was not enough room so I got him an exercise pen that is collapsable I set up in the kitchen and turn the TV on music videos and place his bed and a few toys in.  He is getting to where now he does not "cry" as often when I leave so I thought it was a good thing till she spoke up.  She just made me question myself as to whether I was taking proper care of him.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=41374
[/QUOTE]

Sounds to me like you should stay away from this woman and keep your baby as far away from her as possible.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Nah, just ignore her. We know you're a wonderful mommy. Sometimes, you have to block somethings out and not listen to everyone's words. I mean, some ppl train their puppy without a crate at all. So who's to say who's right or wrong? She's talking gibberish.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I trained Lacey using an exercise pen. Her piddle pad, crate, water bottle, food and toys were in the pen. This is were she was put when we weren't at home or when we were at home and couldn't keep an eye on her. When she was about 9 months old I would leave the door to the exercise pen open so she could go in it and use her piddle pad or just be in it, but still kept her in it when we weren't at home with the door closed. Lacey did really good. She didn't cry when we left (never made a big deal as we were leaving or coming in, just a goodbye or hello). I also had her sleeping in it everynight as well. She didn't start sleeping with us until she was about 11 months old. She has had very few accidents in the house. My husband and kids thought I was evil for putting Lacey in a jail. But this is what worked for Lacey. She is now fully housebroken and she is such a pleasure to have.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
It seems to me that this groomer just doesn't want to be bothered with having to take him out to potty while he is there.

Lucy Lou also makes a good point. Sometimes groomers will slip a little tranqulizer into a dog to calm it down.

This doesn't sound like a groomer I'd trust my Lady with!

Will she allow you to stay with him while it's being done so you can supervise?

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
A couple years pre-med.... that is nothing but a few undergrad science courses... has nothing whatsoever to do with her abililty to know how to care for your dog. And what did she do at the vet's office.... clean cages, maybe?

I'd run away from her. If the other clients who go there don't have the sense to question her suggestions, as least you do.... good for you!!!!

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I asked about being with him during the grooming and she suggested I drop him off and come back to pick him up. As for tranqulizers, I suspected that with the last groomer because Baxter is always so hyper when I first see him after being away if only 30 min. and after a grooming session with her he would do nothing but lay around all afternoon. When I questioned this, it was denied. Also, when I would sit down with Baxter at night as soon as he would see me get the brush and comb out he would start to shake all over. That was more than enough of that
so we left her and I am not sure we have found better!
I have finally got him to where bath time is a pleasant experience instead of a hassel. He sits very still, listens to commands and allows me to give his bath. I still am not convinced he enjoys a bath but at least he tollerates it very well
I would like to do the grooming myself since he acts so well at bath time but I am really nervous to attempt it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts