Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so don't shoot me, but up until now, Poppy has not been properly constrained when we go places in the car. I do know how important that is, so now I am looking to get him a car seat.

Ideally I would like to get a very tall one that I can put in the back seat, but I have a couple of questions about that.

1. If you have a tall car seat you can recommend, please do so.

2. Since Poppy is used to being in the front seat all the time, do you think he'll throw fits being in the back seat by himself?

I thought about getting this one: Kurgo Skybox Pet Booster Seat - 00044
but ... I'd rather him learn to sit in the back seat, so when I take he and Cita (my shepherd mix) somewhere at the same time, Cita can sit in the front seat. She tends to get car sick in the back seat, so I'd rather her be able to be in the front, with him in the back. But, when it's just Poppy and me, I kind of want this one for those times.

Recommendations? Things for me to think of?

HUGz! Jules

·
Premium Member
8,521 Posts
I had one similar to that and i didn't feel like it was sturdy enough. I prefer the ones that sit on the seat and use the seatbelt to secure it. We have the petgear booster Pet Gear Medium Booster Car Seat (Interior Measures 10" x 14" ) | Overstock.com seat one in medium and one in large. Riley and Noelle share the large and Chloe has the medium. They seem to like their carseat and if you want it deeper you can take the cushion out.

·
Premium Member
2,955 Posts
I have the snoozer lookout with the black quilted cover. Snoozer Lookout Booster Dog Car Seats, Pet Car Seat in All Sizes and Colors The guys can see out the window both in the front and in the back seat. I've had it for over 3 years now and it works very well.

Teddy and Benny do not sit well in the car seat at all. They "fall out" the sides (intentionally) :blink: and try to get to me... it's just not good. Harry sits like a pro... so he is the only one who gets to go places with me when I'm alone. He prefers to sit in the front seat. I know the back seat is safer, but I can disable the passenger side airbag in my car... so I feel it isn't that bad. Realistically, I think that if I ever sat Harry in the back alone he would have a fit!!!

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I have the snoozer lookout with the black quilted cover. Snoozer Lookout Booster Dog Car Seats, Pet Car Seat in All Sizes and Colors The guys can see out the window both in the front and in the back seat. I've had it for over 3 years now and it works very well.

Teddy and Benny do not sit well in the car seat at all. They "fall out" the sides (intentionally) :blink: and try to get to me... it's just not good. Harry sits like a pro... so he is the only one who gets to go places with me when I'm alone. He prefers to sit in the front seat. I know the back seat is safer, but I can disable the passenger side airbag in my car... so I feel it isn't that bad. Realistically, I think that if I ever sat Harry in the back alone he would have a fit!!!
I've got the Snoozer, too. I love it! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
I had one similar to that and i didn't feel like it was sturdy enough. I prefer the ones that sit on the seat and use the seatbelt to secure it. We have the petgear booster Pet Gear Medium Booster Car Seat (Interior Measures 10" x 14" ) | Overstock.com seat one in medium and one in large. Riley and Noelle share the large and Chloe has the medium. They seem to like their carseat and if you want it deeper you can take the cushion out.
We also have the Pet Gear Medium Booster Car Seat and LOOOOOVE it!!! I keep it in the front seat currently, but eventually plan to move it to the back seat (when we buy a 2nd one). Several SM members gifted this to us and it has been amazing! I have zero complaints about it. And, yes, if you want the seat to be deeper, you can take the included cushion out and just put a thin blanket in the base of it. I leave the cushion in it, though. The car seat is high enough for them to easily look out the window.

Erin also has this same carseat for Hunter and she has really enjoyed it as well.

Poppy will probably throw a fit when you put him in the backseat for the first few trips, but as long as you don't give in, he will learn to be quiet. :) I haven't transitioned the car seat to the back yet because I wanted the dogs to get used to being in a car seat first. They really do love it, especially London...she sleeps in it while I drive. :wub: She even tries to dig in it and make a bed. lol

If you decide on this one, Overstock has the best price (with shipping included), trust me, I have done my research! :thumbsup:

Edit: I thought I would add that I prefer a microfiber material rather than the sheepskin, because in the summer the sheepskin is pretty hot.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Okay, so don't shoot me, but up until now, Poppy has not been properly constrained when we go places in the car. I do know how important that is, so now I am looking to get him a car seat.

Ideally I would like to get a very tall one that I can put in the back seat, but I have a couple of questions about that.

2. Since Poppy is used to being in the front seat all the time, do you think he'll throw fits being in the back seat by himself?

but ... I'd rather him learn to sit in the back seat, so when I take he and Cita (my shepherd mix) somewhere at the same time, Cita can sit in the front seat. She tends to get car sick in the back seat, so I'd rather her be able to be in the front, with him in the back. But, when it's just Poppy and me, I kind of want this one for those times.

HUGz! Jules
I wouldn't recommend this seat to anyone. I got one for Micky last year and ended up throwing it out. It's hard to put the frame together. It kept wanting to collapse on itself. Once you eventually get the frame together, after much frustration and broken fingernails, you have to pull the cover over the frame. That's also a pain in the butt, and to top it off, the whole thing has a very strong chemical smell to it. Almost like bleach or ammonia. Bleh... It was not a pleasant smell after leaving it in the hot car all day. (without Micky in it of course!)

I did get a Snoozer Lookout seat for him recently. I think it will work out well.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wouldn't recommend this seat to anyone. I got one for Micky last year and ended up throwing it out. It's hard to put the frame together. It kept wanting to collapse on itself. Once you eventually get the frame together, after much frustration and broken fingernails, you have to pull the cover over the frame. That's also a pain in the butt, and to top it off, the whole thing has a very strong chemical smell to it. Almost like bleach or ammonia. Bleh... It was not a pleasant smell after leaving it in the hot car all day. (without Micky in it of course!)

I did get a Snoozer Lookout seat for him recently. I think it will work out well.
Thanks for that info!! :thumbsup:

The one from Amazon looks like a good one!!!

HUGz! Jules

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On the Snoozer, can anyone tell me what the difference is (colors) in 'charcoal' and 'charcoal/bone'?

They don't show color swatches. :mellow:

HUGz! Jules

·
Premium Member
11,148 Posts

HUGz! Jules
Well, this is what happened with Boo. I got one of those for him when he was just a little pup, but as he grew, I found it wasn't sturdy enough for him. He's not your typical tiny Malt.Then I made the mistake of letting him ride in the front seat with his leash tied to the headrest for about 2 yrs & then decided I should get a real carseat for him.I wanted one I could use for both the front & back seat, so I got the med. lookout, hoping both fluffs could ride in it. I tried & tried to get Boo to ride in that carseat,it was terrible. The backseat didn't work at all, he kept crying & panting & would end up dangling over the side of the carseat every few mins or so. Not much better in the frontseat.He's spoiled to the frontseat, but he refuses to stay in the carseat, even if it's in the frontseat. It now belongs to Hannah, who rides in it happily in the backseat & Boo is in the frontseat buckled in with one of those buckle things for seatbelts. I don't like it & he can still move around too much, but it was the best I could do & keep my sanity. I sure hope you have better luck with Poppy. You should get that carseat & get started right away, don't wait too long like I did.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, this is what happened with Boo. I got one of those for him when he was just a little pup, but as he grew, I found it wasn't sturdy enough for him. He's not your typical tiny Malt.Then I made the mistake of letting him ride in the front seat with his leash tied to the headrest for about 2 yrs & then decided I should get a real carseat for him.I wanted one I could use for both the front & back seat, so I got the med. lookout, hoping both fluffs could ride in it. I tried & tried to get Boo to ride in that carseat,it was terrible. The backseat didn't work at all, he kept crying & panting & would end up dangling over the side of the carseat every few mins or so. Not much better in the frontseat.He's spoiled to the frontseat, but he refuses to stay in the carseat, even if it's in the frontseat. It now belongs to Hannah, who rides in it happily in the backseat & Boo is in the frontseat buckled in with one of those buckle things for seatbelts. I don't like it & he can still move around too much, but it was the best I could do & keep my sanity. I sure hope you have better luck with Poppy. You should get that carseat & get started right away, don't wait too long like I did.
Thank you for your honesty with your experience. That really is what I'm afraid of, but since he's only 10 months old, I'm hoping he can deal with change. In the meantime I might need ear plugs for all of our test drives. :HistericalSmiley:

HUGz! Jules

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
Thank you for your honesty with your experience. That really is what I'm afraid of, but since he's only 10 months old, I'm hoping he can deal with change. In the meantime I might need ear plugs for all of our test drives. :HistericalSmiley:

HUGz! Jules

Jules, not sure if this will help or not. But when I first put Mia and Leo in the car seat in the back, hubby drove, and I sat in the back with them, just till they got used to it. At first, they were not all that crazy about it, but then I think they felt better about it, after they got used to it.
I also brought little treats with me, so they would associate the car seat with something good.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I would recommend talking to Crystal. I had trouble trying to find a car seat that fit into my two seat car and she was wonderful. She advised me which seat would work and it is perfect!! I believe I have the one from Animal Companion. Look on her site. Crystal really knows her merchandise and my seat is sturdy and safe. I had a hanging seat as well and I felt it wasn't secure enough, and she was the only one able to get me a seat that would fit into my little car.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
I've had the Lookout Car Seats for more than 10 years, they still work and I still love them and my dogs love them. For those who cannot disable your front airbags, please put your dogs in the back seat. If they won't stay seated in a booster seat then put them in a crate. Your dog could be killed instantly if an airbag goes off.

·
Premium Member
17,343 Posts
I have the same ones that Debbie (My Sugar Bears) posted about. Erin (Hunter's Mom) was the 1st one that posted about these (I think) and I bought 2 of the large just in case the girls wanted to spread out when we take trips. The 2 fit PERFECTLY in the backseat of my Jaguar. Prior to getting these, They would be in the front seat. I also thought that we might have a big problem when I switched them to the back seat, but they were fine with it. I think that they really like the fact that they can see me because the seats are high and that they can also see out.

Don't forget to get the proper safey harness to attach to the carseat. A regular harness might break in an accident.

·
Premium Member
11,148 Posts
I've had the Lookout Car Seats for more than 10 years, they still work and I still love them and my dogs love them. For those who cannot disable your front airbags, please put your dogs in the back seat. If they won't stay seated in a booster seat then put them in a crate. Your dog could be killed instantly if an airbag goes off.
I hate having Boo in the front seat, but thankfully my airbag is weight activated. There has to be a certain amt of weight in the seat for it to come on.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts

I have two of the Snoozer seats. They are in the back seat. Keiko and Nikki wear this harness.

It is attached with this strap to the seat belt, as is the car seat, so they are well restrained. I put treats in the carseat every time we go somewhere so they associate the car seat with something good. I have no issues with them.

The front seat airbag can kill a small dog.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts

HUGz! Jules
I have the little Pet Gear booster seat and it's not sturdy at all. Rocky does like sitting in it and does really well though. I want to get a bigger right now for 16.97, I got what I need. I would buy it from Amazon though..seems like they have the best price, but you have to worry about shipping costs, check first how much they charge. Someday when I can afford it, I'll get the same one!

·
Premium Member
24,171 Posts

I just purchased two med Pet Gear car seats, now I'm abit worried it won't be big enough for B&B:w00t: she weighs 11 lbs but loves to stretch out in her dog bed, do you think I should have gotten the Lg for her

·
Registered
571 Posts
The lookout type seat is the best and don't forget the attachment belt from the
dog's harness to the actual seat belt. Otherwise all you've done is given your pup a better view, not a safer ride.

mary anna, herk and theena

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
I have the lookout seat for Dakota, shes not a great lover of car rides, but once she settles in, she seems to be very comfy in it. I have a 2 door car, and its a bit of a PITA to get it in & out, but other than that, I love it. It stays mostly in the car, I only take it out when I know I am going to buy something that will need me to fold the back seats down. (I'm a DIY'er, so its currently out, as I need a trip to the hardware store tomorrow!!)

Sorry to hijack this thread a little, but does anyone know if the attachment belt that comes with the lookout car seat, is crash tested?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts