Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't believe I did it!! :smilie_tischkante: :sorry: I cut Shoni's pad with the scissors while trimming the hair! It is his hind foot, one toe pad. It is between 1/8 and 1/4" long with a small piece clipped out. Open about 1/16" and bleeds like H**L. I put PolySporin and a bandage on it. I tried taking the bandage off after 30 min. but it started bleeding a lot again. It is bandaged with gauze pad and that stretchy yellow stuff the vets use now. I gave him 1/4 baby aspirin and he seems O.K.--will walk on it.

What I don't know is will it need a stitch? If Dr. Jaimie is around I could sure use a suggestion. Shoni is doing fine, although I'm probably going to need something to keep him from pulling the bandage off. I have a hard plastic type head collar but I hate those.

I'm just sick of course!! :crying:My poor sweet Shoni!!

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
If it is still bleeding after 30 minutes, I would assume it probably needs to be stitched up. :( You can always call the emergency vet, and ask if they feel he needs his foot looked at. Usually anytime I've called the emergency vet, they are honest and I don't usually end up going in because it's not a "real" emergency.

·
Premium Member
10,319 Posts
Oh, I am so sorry, I know how you must feel. The only thing I know and this is an old remedy.........Dr. Jaimie will know better but my Mother use to put loads of sugar on our cuts and it would stop bleeding. Not sure if this is good or not but it worked for all the girls!!!:chili:Someone speak up if it is not a good thing.......

·
Premium Member
11,148 Posts
I'm so sorry that happened to Shoni. I'm always afraid I will do that,takes me forever to clip the hair off I'm so paranoid. I'd call the vet,if the cut is gapped open,it very well may need a stitch. Not sure I would have given aspirin,it's a blood thinner isn't it? I know before I have any kind of surgery,I'm told not to take aspirin for one week because it causes more bleeding.Hope he's doing better now.Hugs

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
oh gosh, dee, i'm so sorry this happened! it sounds like you might be more upset than shoni if he is able to walk on it without any problems, so just make sure he is not licking it too much, etc. and if its not bleeding anymore he should be fine.

i almost did this to mine on a couple of occassions and switched to small clippers awhile back and i feel more comfortable with them. i had to get them used to the sound, but usually just let them sniff and touch their feet with it before turning it on, then turn on and go. it also gets the job done super fast. my clippers plug into the wall cause i'm not a fan of cordless tools.

hugs to you and sweet shoni!

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
He should have it looked at by a vet. Some pad lacerations need to be repaired, others need to heal on their own. And yes, they bleed like crazy. Either way, your dog also needs to be on antibiotics...feet are not a clean surface and cuts can easily become infected.

Please do not give your dog aspirin. It is extremely harsh on the stomach and is no longer considered a safe recommendation for dogs. There are much better NSAIDs made specifically for dogs. When you go to the vet, do tell them you gave it so they do not give him anything that would interact negatively (if they do give you an NSAID, they should tell you to wait 24 hours from the aspirin dose to start it).

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
I can't believe I did it!! :smilie_tischkante: :sorry: I cut Shoni's pad with the scissors while trimming the hair! It is his hind foot, one toe pad. It is between 1/8 and 1/4" long with a small piece clipped out. Open about 1/16" and bleeds like H**L. I put PolySporin and a bandage on it. I tried taking the bandage off after 30 min. but it started bleeding a lot again. It is bandaged with gauze pad and that stretchy yellow stuff the vets use now. I gave him 1/4 baby aspirin and he seems O.K.--will walk on it.

What I don't know is will it need a stitch? If Dr. Jaimie is around I could sure use a suggestion. Shoni is doing fine, although I'm probably going to need something to keep him from pulling the bandage off. I have a hard plastic type head collar but I hate those.

I'm just sick of course!! :crying:My poor sweet Shoni!!
Relax, Dee, and take a deep breath. A friend of mine did the same thing recently to her Maltese, and it was on a Sunday, too. She cleaned it, bandaged it and brought her little one to the vet on Monday. It did need to be stitched but it was not a life or death situation. Keep an eye on Shoni and don't panic. If you really think it's bad then a stop at the ER vet wouldn't hurt.

·
Premium Member
4,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
oh gosh, dee, i'm so sorry this happened! it sounds like you might be more upset than shoni if he is able to walk on it without any problems, so just make sure he is not licking it too much, etc. and if its not bleeding anymore he should be fine.

i almost did this to mine on a couple of occassions and switched to small clippers awhile back and i feel more comfortable with them. i had to get them used to the sound, but usually just let them sniff and touch their feet with it before turning it on, then turn on and go. it also gets the job done super fast. my clippers plug into the wall cause i'm not a fan of cordless tools.

hugs to you and sweet shoni!
Thanks to everyone. I've settled down--actually Daddy was way more tense than I was. B) I have Polysporin on the cut and it is bandaged. He walks on it fine now after the first hour or so. Still licks at the bandage, but we are trying to keep close watch on him. The little flap of skin was clipped off, so it is open, but small. I haven't had a wound on the bottom of a pad before so don't know how the heal. I did a bad thing trying to clean it I used H-proxide and it hurt, and made it bleed more. I first used the Styptic Sticks that are liquid filled swabs, but there was too much bleeding for that.

I did all the bottoms of his feet with the clippers first, but after when he was standing up I was just using the scissors around the edges. He must have moved as I clipped because I can't imagine how I got the bottom of that hind foot. It startled me as much as it did Shoni! I couldn't believe it when I saw blood! I felt so bad!! Not only because it happened, but also it will make him more foot shy. It is already a 2 man job to just do his nails.

Now I need to know if I should keep it bandaged up until it is completely healed. I guess I'll have to take him in tomorrow. Why do these things always happen on a weekend or Holiday!! :blush:

·
Premium Member
20,059 Posts
Dee, geez! You must have been going crazy when it first happened!!! I know I would :blush:

I'm glad you got the bleeding stopped - even if it is only with the bandage on. Do these things only happen on holidays when the vets are closed??? :smilie_tischkante:....that's always one of my biggest fears as our emergency vet is over an hour away.

It sounds like you've done enough to get him through till tomorrow. The vet will get him fixed up.

·
Premium Member
1,280 Posts
I am Guilty...

Wow I know how you feel, I have done this twice!!! It is the most awful guilt...but one thing I noticed is it happened when I was using scissors that were a slightly bigger than my extra small ones that I normally use. And using small clippers for the pads is safer than scissors maybe? Hope all is better for your baby soon. Jeanne

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
oh gosh, poor you! I KNOW how you feel. I once cut Bella with her matt cutter!! OMG it was the worst day ever! Even now when i think about it i feel sick. She didnt even notice - the first thing i saw was all the blood!!! I felt terrible and totally freaked out taking her to the vet right away - everything turned out ok in the end but the guilt has never gone away. The matt cutter went in the bin that night! I hope your baby feels better soon - sending you both lots of hugs! xxx

·
Premium Member
4,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the good wishes. Shoni is not quite himself this AM. Obviously it is bothering him. I haven't unwrapped it yet today, I would have to redo it by myself and not sure that will be easy. The cut was wide open last nite, as wide as it is long. I've been told they can't stitch it, so I guess the only thing the vet could do would be give him oral antibiotics for just in case. So I haven't called them yet. Shoni tries to get the bandage off ever once in a while, but mostly leaves it be.

I'm still just sick. I almost break down every time I look at Shoni. I still can't figure how I got his pad in the scissors. I had already done the bottoms with the elec. clippers and he was standing while I finished a few stray hairs around the edges with the scissors. The main thing I've learned is not to use the long scissors around his feet or anywhere but the body coat! You never know when a little movement will be a disaster.

Please forgive me Shoni!

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Poor Shoni. :( Even if the vet can't stitch it (although I would call to check anyway), he needs to be on antibiotics for it even with a bandage on it.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
I'm still just sick. I almost break down every time I look at Shoni.
Dee, relax!! Shoni called me early this morning and said "I'm putting on the sad look today and gonna play this for all it's worth!" And he said that it doesn't really hurt all that much because you did such a good job with the gauze and the wrap. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
11,148 Posts
Thanks for the good wishes. Shoni is not quite himself this AM. Obviously it is bothering him. I haven't unwrapped it yet today, I would have to redo it by myself and not sure that will be easy. The cut was wide open last nite, as wide as it is long. I've been told they can't stitch it, so I guess the only thing the vet could do would be give him oral antibiotics for just in case. So I haven't called them yet. Shoni tries to get the bandage off ever once in a while, but mostly leaves it be.

I'm still just sick. I almost break down every time I look at Shoni. I still can't figure how I got his pad in the scissors. I had already done the bottoms with the elec. clippers and he was standing while I finished a few stray hairs around the edges with the scissors. The main thing I've learned is not to use the long scissors around his feet or anywhere but the body coat! You never know when a little movement will be a disaster.

Please forgive me Shoni!
AWWW Dee,I feel bad for you & sweet Shoni. I know all about that quilty feeling. I still feel quilty about Boo's knee injury,& I wasn't even the one that put him up on that bed.Accidents do happen,even when we try our best, so work on forgiving yourself,I am. I'm sure Shoni will be fine,it will just take some time for his foot to heal & lots of hugs & kisses & pampering. Big hugs to you & sweet Shoni.Hope his foot heals super fast.

·
Premium Member
4,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Dee, relax!! Shoni called me early this morning and said "I'm putting on the sad look today and gonna play this for all it's worth!" And he said that it doesn't really hurt all that much because you did such a good job with the guaze and the wrap. :thumbsup:
I wondered who was on my phone!:huh: That explains it.:blush:

For going potty, or chasing the birds out of the yard--he also has something new. "PAWZ" boots--on the bandaged foot. Check them out. The X-small fit over the bandage and stay on tight at the top with lots of room for the bandage.:biggrin:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts