Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when i open the door outside Harry always runs outside and im afraid he will get hit by a car
what can i do to train him not to run out the door

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Does he know sit-stay? If so you can start by putting him on the leash before opening the door (just in case) and having him do a sit stay. Don't release him from the stay until you are ready. Then give lots of praise and a treat. Eventually he should just go into a sit at the door until you tell him its okay to get up.

This is hard. I'm still working on it with Lexi. Not having much progress. Lexi will sit but its like her butt is a spring. It doesn't stay down that long.

If he is running outside when you don't want him too you could get one of those odd shaped gates to go around the entrance area.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
he dose but wen i open the door he gets up from wherever he is and runs out.and wen i come home he runs out too

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Oct 20 2004, 03:54 PM
Does he know sit-stay?  If so you can start by putting him on the leash before opening the door (just in case) and having him do a sit stay.  Don't release him from the stay until you are ready.  Then give lots of praise and a treat.  Eventually he should just go into a sit at the door until you tell him its okay to get up. 

This is hard.  I'm still working on it with Lexi.  Not having much progress.  Lexi will sit but its like her butt is a spring.  It doesn't stay down that long. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=12691
[/QUOTE]

ill tri that thanks

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
the way we taught the dogs not to run outside is by having them sit stay like 5 feet away from the door....open the door a little---when they get up, shut the door quickly and say "no, sit, stay". and keep doing that. now we can leave the door open while we put groceries in the house. give lots of praise when they sit stay.

if you're nervous about doing that....put like a 15 foot leash on him and tie him to a table. so if he runs out....then he wont run too far.
good luck!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts