Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wind has picked up and Jolie is freaking out! I brought their heartworm meds and flea treatment but didn't bring a bunch of medicine with us. What could we give her, over the counter, that would settle her down. Benadryl makes her hyper, instead of calming her down. If anyone has a suggestion please respond ASAP.

Thanks,
Susan

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
A lot of people swear by Bach's Flower's Rescue Remedy. GNC carries it. Are you able to get out?

Another thing is a quiet room with "white noise" so she can't hear the wind, like bathroom with the fan on

Poor baby. I ca't imagine how horrible it must sound or how frightened she must be.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Susan,

I am so sorry your little one is having such a hard time...I don't know what to recommend over the counter so I called my daughter who works in a pharmacy. She advised that calling a vet if possible because the over the counter medications all could have the same result.

I recommend a radio or TV if you have electric to try and drown out the sound. Is there a place in the house which is a little more issolated from the wind where you and she can sit. Also is there a way that you could put some cotton in the ear so that it drowns out the sound. I would not put her somewhere you are not at the moment. I am sure she is also picking up your stress at the whole situation. I am praying for you both, as well as your whole family and those of all others who are being ravaged by this horrible storm.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Originally posted by msmagnolia@Aug 29 2005, 12:43 PM
The wind has picked up and Jolie is freaking out!  I brought their heartworm meds and flea treatment but didn't bring a bunch of medicine with us.  What could we give her, over the counter, that would settle her down.  Benadryl makes her hyper, instead of calming her down.  If anyone has a suggestion please respond ASAP.

Thanks,
Susan
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=95071
[/QUOTE]

Susan,

I can't think of anything except benadryl that would definitely be safe for dogs. Maybe valium or other benzos but I am sure you don't have access to that. In fact, I am not even sure if its safe for dogs. I would probably not give her anything just to be safe. Sorry!! I hope you are doing okay!!

·
Registered
499 Posts
melatonin works great, calms them down without making them too sleepy. It is also used for separation anxiety. I used it a couple of times for carsickness--didn't work for that turned out not to be an anxiety problem, but I had one mellow malt. I cut a 3mg tablet in half for my 8 pound Malt.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
The only thing I know to do is to put them on a bed and cover them with a blanket. It worked for my first Malt, Rosebud.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Poor baby!
I don't have a remedy...but I was thinking of something to mask the wind noise too. Big hugs to your babies and you.

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
Originally posted by msmagnolia@Aug 29 2005, 03:43 PM
The wind has picked up and Jolie is freaking out!  I brought their heartworm meds and flea treatment but didn't bring a bunch of medicine with us.  What could we give her, over the counter, that would settle her down.  Benadryl makes her hyper, instead of calming her down.  If anyone has a suggestion please respond ASAP.

Thanks,
Susan
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=95071
[/QUOTE]

Since I'm sure you don't have a lot of things available to you ..what you might try is your own version of what is called an anxiety wrap. Take maybe a onsie or any piece of material really and form a snug 'wrap' around the body..snug but not too tight. I did this for Missy once when she was frightened by the nearby community fireworks years ago. Then to help muffle the noise I took a towel and made a roll on one end and put it over her ears. and held her . It did calm her down.
Here is a link that will give the general idea of the concept of "maintained pressure" for helping with anxiety and to help calm.
http://www.anxietywrap.com/
Hope this works and praying for you!
Terry and my sweet angel Missy

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Susan has lost power, so I'm not sure if she has seen all these great ideas. I told her I would copy and paste them in to an email if she is not able to get online.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts