Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to buy a small pitcher-type water filter to help prevent tear stains. I see a five-cup Brita for sale online. I am giving 2 cups water per day in a stainless steel bowl (plus Nylabone dental additive). My thought was to buy the five-cup Brita and use it for four cups of water every two days. I have two questions. Is this Brita pitcher as good as any for the purpose of preventing tear stains? And because the water for the dog does not need to be chilled, is it okay to leave the pitcher on the counter?

Thank you for any advice on what kind or brand of filter pitcher to buy.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you

Thanks to both of you for your replies. I think for now I will use bottled spring water. I had a couple gallons in the house for my Rowenta iron. I suspect I'll be using more of it for the dog than for the iron.

·
Premium Member
13,436 Posts
I have no idea about the Brita filtered water and if it is effective for tear stains. But if it works I will be using it too. Just curious if you have a jug of water and use it until empty, the charcoal filter may start to dry out (although in 2 days maybe not). I have a Brita but don't use it much, when I do I tend to keep topping it up to always have a full jug of water, or at least enough to keep the filter wet. I don't measure the water given (the tap water is good here - I work with the people that test water so I feel good about that) , just top up the bowl or give fresh 2-3 times a day if needed since both the cat and dog drink from the same. The amount they drink varies.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For now, I am giving 11 oz water every morning in a clean bowl, with one teaspoon of the Nylabone dental water additive. I am kinda thinking that it may be just as easy to pour from a store-bought gallon of spring water that sits on the counter as it would be to buy a filter pitcher [that would sit on the counter]. Our tap water from the City is good enough for the humans.

By the way, my new dog's teeth in the back of her mouth were terribly covered with tan/brown tarter when we got her Oct 26. I was quite surprised a few days ago when I examined the back of her mouth and saw that her teeth now have almost NO tartar. She gets the Nylabone water additive, and my spouse brushes her teeth every night at bedtime with C.E.T. toothpaste. But more importantly, I had quite a stockpile of C.E.T. enzyme dental chews that I had given to my previous dog. As the previous dog grew older, she lost interest in the chews. I would give her one chew daily as a reward for coming to the kitchen for her eyedrops. She got to the point where she would run off with the chew but spend less than 60 seconds chewing it; that's how the stockpile accumulated. Once we brought the new dog home, I put a few dozen of the chews around the house, and she spends quite a bit of time chewing them. [She also likes to fling them and attack, repeatedly, which is a hoot to watch.] I think somehow the C.E.T. chews eradicated the tartar build-up.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I use a Megahome distiller, it process a gallon of water in about 6 hours. That is what I use for her and I. Found it on Amazon. My daughter in law found it when my grand daughter was born.

·
Premium Member
Sandi-- w/Kitzel (Kitzi) & Lisel (Lisi)
17,862 Posts
Dogs should not have continuous supply of distilled water---bottled normal water is better than distilled. I do find the crystal bottled water has some lime scale in it. I noticed as I bought a new water kettle (glass) & only use that kind of water in it, but I see little bits of scale at times.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts