Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I have chosen to lead and organize a cross-age academic buddy system at my school. I am a teacher at a K-8 school and would like all of the students from different classrooms to help eachother academically.

The groupings would be a Kinder class with a 2nd grade class, a first grade with a 3rd grade class, etc. (I haven't figured the logistics yet
). They would help each other with reading, math, art, etc.

Without giving too much away, because I would still like to remain anonymous...we are the _____________________ Tigers. Our mascot is a tiger. So my problem is coming up with a catchy name. I didn't want something boring like crosss-age buddy system...I want to include either the name Tigers or Cubs (tiger puppies) in the program name...any ideas? I would REALLY appreciate it.

~Elegant

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
The name is all wrong from the get go....Your mascot should be the (duh) Maltese!

Anyway, It's too late for me to think of anything, but I'll try later.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Do you want something about the grades in the name? I was trying to think of names of groups at my son's elem.

What about just something simple like Tiger Buddies or Cubby Buddies? ( Cubbie would probably be too juvenile for the middle school students-at least it would be for MY middle school students
Then people have to ASK what it is...which gives you an opportunity to brag...

There are several groups like that at my son's school...their name doesn't really tell you what they are about...

It is early, and I am not very creative right now...will continue to dwell on it.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
hmm, my kids have a buddy system at their school. They don't have a name for the system...the 1st grade have 5th grade buddies, the second graders have 8th grade buddies. Let me do some thinking...

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
This is sorta different because us nursing students do help with homework, but also try and teach healthy things too, such as nutrition etc and make fun. Our system is called Healthy Buddies. We are each assigned one title one student and work with them all semester then at the end in december we bring them all to campus and have lunch with them in the 'big school'. Our grades are k-6th that we work with.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Elegant, what about using an acronym? I haven't had time to think much about this but something like THEO (Tigers Helping Each Other) or TAB (Tigers Are Buddies) Those were the only ones I could come up with on the fly and they are not "IT", but maybe this will jump-start the creative process.

It would be neat to use an acronym that formed an appropriate word. Like with Mothers Against Drunk Driving... Madd... that one works well because I think of them as being "Mad" at drunk drivers.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catchers Mom@Nov 6 2004, 09:55 AM
Elegant, what about using an acronym? I haven't had time to think much about this but something like THEO (Tigers Helping Each Other) or TAB (Tigers Are Buddies) Those were the only ones I could come up with on the fly and they are not "IT",  but maybe this will jump-start the creative process.

It would be neat to use an acronym that formed an appropriate word. Like with Mothers Against Drunk Driving... Madd... that one works well because I think of them as being "Mad" at drunk drivers.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=15154
[/QUOTE]

That is a good idea!

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Tiger's Lead to Succeed Program

Elegant--I love any questions you ask about school. I LOVE trying to help!

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by Kallie/Catchers Mom@Nov 6 2004, 07:55 AM
Elegant, what about using an acronym? I haven't had time to think much about this but something like THEO (Tigers Helping Each Other) or TAB (Tigers Are Buddies) Those were the only ones I could come up with on the fly and they are not "IT",  but maybe this will jump-start the creative process.

[/QUOTE]
I like the acronym idea too, something catchy. I had these idea's...

Tiger Club Academic Program (TCAP)
Tiger Cub Academic Mentor Program (TCAMP) -like a camp or something, like it's fun!
Tiger Tutor Mentor Program

I wanted to sneakly incorportate my lunch buddy program with outside community members as mentors starting next year...that's why I have the mentor part in there.

I am using the weekend to come up with something so I can create a needs survey to the teachers at my school. I need to make a questionnair/survey to see if they would like to participate or be on my committee.

My brain is churning...such great ideas!

~Elegant

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Elegant+Nov 6 2004, 04:39 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Kallie/Catchers Mom
@Nov 6 2004, 07:55 AM

Tiger Cub Academic Mentor Program (TCAMP) -like a camp or something, like it's fun!

I wanted to sneakly incorportate my lunch buddy program with outside community members as mentors starting next year...that's why I have the mentor part in there.

I am using the weekend to come up with something so I can create a needs survey to the teachers at my school. I need to make a questionnair/survey to see if they would like to participate or be on my committee.

~Elegant
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=15196
[/B][/QUOTE]

Elegant, I really, really like T-CAMP.... it spells something the kids can relate to yet it represents a serious program. It's got both on your wish list -- "Tiger" and "Cub"-- as well as "Mentor". Seems like it has everything you were looking for! It sounds just perfect to me! Way to go!!!

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by Kallie/Catchers Mom+Nov 6 2004, 01:47 PM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 6 2004, 04:39 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Kallie/Catchers Mom
@Nov 6 2004, 07:55 AM

~Elegant
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=15196

[/QUOTE]

Elegant, I really, really like T-CAMP.... it spells something the kids can relate to yet it represents a serious program. It's got both on your wish list -- "Tiger" and "Cub"-- as well as "Mentor". Seems like it has everything you were looking for! It sounds just perfect to me! Way to go!!!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=15199
[/B][/QUOTE]
Thank you!

~Elegant

·
Registered
3,483 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally posted by mee+Nov 6 2004, 04:34 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-ButterCloudandNoriko
@Nov 6 2004, 02:18 PM

Elegant--I love any questions you ask about school.  I LOVE trying to help!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=15178
how come u never helped me when i asked a few school questions on this forum????

hehhe jk! :lol:
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=15209
[/B][/QUOTE]
Hey Mee, what did you end up doing for your graphic design project? I thought your disposable scooper idea was great!

Oh, I was in interior architectural design for three years...my school required a portfolio, and from what I was seeing, they didn't like individuality...your own style. The professors were basically looking for students whose work looked like theirs. I found this out three years into the program. I decided to switch majors and go into teaching. I think design, art, drawing, etc., are my hobbies now. Do you have to submit a portfolio when you graduate?

~Elegant

·
Registered
260 Posts
Elegant,
Here's my 2 cents worth.

TEACH.....Tigers Educating And Cubs Helping

PAWS......Puppies achieving Winning Steps

STRIPES.. Striving To Reach Independent Personal Educational Studies
(that's long, but sounds 'really big'...ha ha)

Good luck in your project

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Originally posted by Snertsmom@Nov 6 2004, 06:50 PM
Elegant,
Here's my 2 cents worth.

TEACH.....Tigers Educating And Cubs Helping

PAWS......Puppies achieving Winning Steps

STRIPES.. Striving To Reach Independent Personal Educational Studies
(that's long, but sounds 'really big'...ha ha)

Good luck in your project

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=15222
[/QUOTE]
Thanks, those are great...I like the TEACH one the best. :D

~Elegant

1 - 20 of 29 Posts