Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we bought this house two years ago, my son painted the livingroom, diningroom and hallway for us, now it's time to paint the master bedroom and bath, I use to LOVE to decorate, :unsure:we only stay here 6 months and I think I have really never felt the connection to this house. I know painting does wonders and makes a house feel more like a home. I'm going to do the whole bedroom, paint, comforter, drapes etc. I go to paint stores and look at paint samples and just can't figure out what I want. Normally I would find the comforter and pull a color from that for the walls, buttt I haven't found a comforter I like that is practical with the girls on the bed with us. I have vaulted ceilings in the master bedroom and have considered a accent wall behind the headboard, just need the colors:HistericalSmiley: Would you mind taking a picture of your wall color on your bedroom walls,, just maybe I will get a idea from you.

I am painting my sewing/office room a very light lavendar with a soft yellow on the ceiling. But that's my room I don't have to share with dh

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I don't have a picture to share but i am in the process of deciding the colours for our master bedroom as well. I really like the colour pale blue. I bought a really nice comforter with different shades of light blue...alomost like a paisley and it also has some white in it. It's a big change because we presently have a bergundy comforter with taupe/cafe coloured walls. I think the blue will also make the room look larger and I always associate the colour blue with a relaxed peaceful atmosphere.

·
Premium Member
17,343 Posts
Paula,

My only suggestion is to keep it light and summerie. You're going be sending the winters in Arizona, so you're only going to be in Idaho during the Spring/Summer/Early Fall.

You have a wonderful eye for design, colors, etc. You just need to find that perfect fabric or comforter that you fall in love with and then you'll be motivated.

My house is very southwestern and is done in beiges, browns with aqua as my primary accent color.

·
Registered
542 Posts
try painting some sample colors on your wall. Then you will be able to see them in all kinds of light, morning afternoon and evening.
Good luck!

·
Premium Member
17,460 Posts
I haven't seen my walls in so long I have no idea of the color! We have tray ceilings & you can do lots w/it---but you have to live there to do it & I don't live there!
In Greece we were going to do an older apt. so I bought 24 different shades (small sample type from B. Moore) and tried them on large swatches----as it turned out we did not get the apt. but it was mostly fun doing things in my mind. So that would be my idea---try the sample pots---they are reasonably priced! They look different in different light so look as the sun moves during the day. It cost all of about 24 euros for me! Cheap thrills are my thing!

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
Interior design is my passion! I have a very good eye with paint color. I love this stuff!

Right now one of my favorite color combos is a buttery yellow on the walls (Benjamin Moore has a buttermilk) and then trimming bedding, pillows, area rugs, curtains, etc with black and white. (Think black wrought iron and bold black and white as accents, like black chandeliers, candle holders). I wish I had a room in need of a makeover right now b/c I would jump at doing this combination.

I also love using one bold wall. Say the wall behind the bed as a dark color and then use lighter colors on the other walls. I have used dark chocolate on the big wall in my dining/family room and used a beige on the other walls. Then I trimmed in blues, whites. Brown/Blue/White combo...this can be very calm and serene in a bedroom.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Try Blonde--it is a Sherwin Williams paint color. It is yellowy, but not too bright and not too gold. It almost has a neutral tone to it, so it won't be offensive or harsh to the eye. We used this color in our old house--loved it so much we painted the entire house this color. I would use it again in our next house. Go to this link, it has pictures of my old house and how I used it to decorate: 3394 Bay Meadow Dr, Benton, AR 72015 - Zillow

Just a suggestion! Happy hunting!

·
Premium Member
3,388 Posts
Try Blonde--it is a Sherwin Williams paint color. It is yellowy, but not too bright and not too gold. It almost has a neutral tone to it, so it won't be offensive or harsh to the eye. We used this color in our old house--loved it so much we painted the entire house this color. I would use it again in our next house. Go to this link, it has pictures of my old house and how I used it to decorate: 3394 Bay Meadow Dr, Benton, AR 72015 - Zillow

Just a suggestion! Happy hunting!
No wonder that house looked familiar! :smilie_tischkante: That is a pretty color.

·
Premium Member
8,521 Posts
I'll be doing my bedroom by the end of the year and i'm painting it Antiguan Sky 2040-60 by Benjamine Moore. Benjamin Moore 2040-60 Antiguan Sky | Myperfectcolor I found a quilt that i like Walmart.com: Better Homes and Gardens Garden View Quilt and Sham Set: Bedding and found some drapes in a sea glass green. I can't wait to get my room done it's going to be very peaceful and serene. I just love to decorate and i can always picture a room in it's finished state and know exactly what i want and how i want it to look.

I tend to like the Shabby Chic or French Country styles.

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
Hi Paula
When I renovated our apartment a few years ago I painted several rooms yellow with white trim. Benjamin Moore (can't remember color-have it home but am out of town.) I love the yellow. It always makes me happy and looks clean and fresh. I don't have a photo of my bedroom but here it is in our dining area. I ended up getting a kind of dark red comforter with yellow dots at Target that I use in the bedroom to give contrast. Make sure if you do an accent wall that the accenting color is dark enough. we did one in the bedroom and it was too close to the rest of the walls.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Oh please do not paint a yellow ceiling unless its very pale or use a soft eggshell. It will just cut the room off and make it short. I have been a designer for over 20 years. When you get your comforter as long as its not a solid color say for example floral pick the color that is the least in the item and go with that its flawless and makes the room stand out.

·
Premium Member
20,031 Posts
Paula, wait until you find a comforter you like. You can get paint mixed to match anything....but you can't always find a comforter to match paint.

(that's from my own experience)

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
Oh please do not paint a yellow ceiling unless its very pale or use a soft eggshell. It will just cut the room off and make it short. I have been a designer for over 20 years. When you get your comforter as long as its not a solid color say for example floral pick the color that is the least in the item and go with that its flawless and makes the room stand out.
Lynda - I don't think anyone posting suggested painting a ceiling yellow or the same color as the walls. All of my ceilings are white including the photo I sent. I have no decorating or know how at all and I never found a comforter I really liked and wanted to base my bedroom on what would make me feel good to be surrounded by when I opened my eyes in the morning and closed them at night. I've often changed out comforters in the past. After painting I knew what I wanted in a comforter and found it very easily. I guess I approached it backwards. :blush:

·
Premium Member
13,418 Posts
we bought this house two years ago, my son painted the livingroom, diningroom and hallway for us, now it's time to paint the master bedroom and bath, I use to LOVE to decorate, :unsure:we only stay here 6 months and I think I have really never felt the connection to this house. I know painting does wonders and makes a house feel more like a home. I'm going to do the whole bedroom, paint, comforter, drapes etc. I go to paint stores and look at paint samples and just can't figure out what I want. Normally I would find the comforter and pull a color from that for the walls, buttt I haven't found a comforter I like that is practical with the girls on the bed with us. I have vaulted ceilings in the master bedroom and have considered a accent wall behind the headboard, just need the colors:HistericalSmiley: Would you mind taking a picture of your wall color on your bedroom walls,, just maybe I will get a idea from you.

I am painting my sewing/office room a very light lavendar with a soft yellow on the ceiling. But that's my room I don't have to share with dh

I feel like I wrote this myself ...sorry I'm no help, I need to paint too and can't decide on an kitchen colour (for starters), can't find the comforter or quilt etc. BUT I did paint one bedroom myself ...Benjamin Moore "Fossil Butte" and that's with an ivory chenile bedspread.
I painted the ceiling in another bedroom.
Slowly getting there, maybe I'll get some ideas from this thread.
I want my bedroom to feel like a nice hotel room near the beach, so I thought I would google some hotel websites to get ideas.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Interior design is my passion! I have a very good eye with paint color. I love this stuff!

Right now one of my favorite color combos is a buttery yellow on the walls (Benjamin Moore has a buttermilk) and then trimming bedding, pillows, area rugs, curtains, etc with black and white. (Think black wrought iron and bold black and white as accents, like black chandeliers, candle holders). I wish I had a room in need of a makeover right now b/c I would jump at doing this combination.

I also love using one bold wall. Say the wall behind the bed as a dark color and then use lighter colors on the other walls. I have used dark chocolate on the big wall in my dining/family room and used a beige on the other walls. Then I trimmed in blues, whites. Brown/Blue/White combo...this can be very calm and serene in a bedroom.
Yellow walls with black and white IS very nice. I had that setup in my old bedroom :thumbsup: I did a little research a while back and read that
for bedrooms paints in shades of green are good as they are more relaxing. We recently moved into our new home and chose a nice soft sage green for the bedroom and it came out really nice. I can use quite a number of bedding sets (including my white and black set up) I brought over from my old home and they work well with the color. Luckily we have another bedroom so I can use the others there :) I agree, you can probably highlight one wall with another color - maybe a darker shade of the same color if you don't want to take the leap towards a totally different color. Good luck choosing your colors.

·
Registered
17,036 Posts
Paula, everyone has different tastes in decorating, and furnishings can also make a difference in what colors look good in a room. Some people like traditional surrounding while others go for modern trendy looks. I think you should decided what colors you really like and make you feel good. I know I have seen rooms that are pretty but I would never have them in my home. I like more traditional pieces with a simple elegance. You know, very pretty but useable. Also in the bedroom, I think you should probably find your comforter and then choose your paint and accents to match that. Choose something that makes you happy. I think husbands like the bedroom to reflect their wife. After all, if the room makes you feel good then he could benefit from that :wub: Have you tried picking up some home type magazines and having a look through them? Also as for the comforter, consider taking it off of the bed at night if you are afraid it might not be doggie friendly. For a casual look that would be doggie friendly, consider a quilt as your comforter. There are some very pretty quilts available today. Paired with complimenting pieces you could have a pretty bed that is casual and friendly for Matilda and B&B. You could even choose a theme for the room and take your colors from that. It can be fun and easy if you don't turn it into a chore.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts