Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Jan 7 2005, 05:25 PM
There is a 7 year old female Maltese at the Ames Shelter.  She is not housebroken and suffers from separation anxiety.  Her name is Lindi and she will need some dental work. She comes from a puppy mill. 

A coworker adopted her but had to return her after one night because when they left she would go nuts (howled constantly).

Can someone help me get into contact with a rescue group?

Ames, IA Animal Shelter

I have a neighbor that does rescue work and I'm going to mention it to her.  She works independently so not sure if she can get her.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=28369
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info. I forwarded it to Mary Palmer head of Northcentral Maltese Rescue and copied George Bailey, the Eastern NCMR rep. who was so helpful in the Memphis situation several days ago.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Update.....I heard the following from Mary Palmer at NorthCentral Maltese Rescue:
"The key to placing a mill dog is that there MUST be another dog in the home. After all the dog has always had other dogs around her and so that would give her great comfort. I have limited fosters, I think only one or two in Iowa I can try to find out if one would take her in. Can you give me more information about her? Age, Weight, is she spayed, any shots etc."

I replied with the info from the shelter web page. Hopefully, she can help further. What she says about only placing puppymill dogs in homes where there is another dog makes such total sense.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Jan 12 2005, 04:25 PM
It looks like Lindi was adopted or rescued!  She is no longer on the website.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=29316
[/QUOTE]
She was adopted out before Northcentral Maltese Rescue could get to her. They spent a couple days looking for a foster home and had found one but she was gone when they got there. NCMR was concerned that she was adopted out to someone who perhaps is inexperienced with a rescue who has been in a puppymill. There is more to adopting a dog such as this than meets the eye. The nice thing about rescue organizations is that they make sure the dog goes to the right home; I imagine the shelter will sell her to anyone who has the money.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.