Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to think about a reply before I pen it, for fear that if I say something at this time, I will really explode. I would appreciate your thoughts on this.
I was asked today about a fourteen week old pup who has not been exposed to the sun. They owner is planning to have the nose tatooed.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Originally posted by LucyLou@Jun 1 2005, 07:01 PM
I want to think about a reply before I pen it, for fear that if I say something at this time, I will really explode.  I would appreciate your thoughts on this.
I was asked today about a fourteen week old pup who has not been exposed to the sun.  They owner is planning to have the nose tatooed.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=67793
[/QUOTE]

Oops--typo. Should be the owner is planning to have the pup's nose tatooed black.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
OM!!! That sounds so cruel to me... What person would even comply with a request to do the tatoo?!

I don't know what to say right now... my brain is fried from work... just got home... anyway.... you might want to let them know that it is too early to even know if the nose will get black on its own or not and also, you can tell them to give the pup some sunlight... of course if this person is stupid enough to want to tatoo the pup, hopefully he/she won't over expose the pup to the sun...

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I'd also like to know who would even consider doing such a thing? Also, who would have even suggested this work? I would think that the nose is different than the skin and it would be a different type of procedure totally. Please dont tell us that there is such a procedure?

I would flip out too, but K/Cs mom has a good idea about explaining that its too soon to tell if it will turn on its own and that at 14 weeks it is much too early to do anything. That poor puppy

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
If that person should happen to go through with such a despicable act he should be reported to the Animal Protection people.
Can you imagine how painful that would be for that poor little puppy or any animal of any age for that matter. I certainly hope you are not considering actually doing that. Grrrrrrrrrr it makes me shiver to thing about it.

Scooby's nose was partially pink till he was about 6 months old and with a little sunshine each day it gradually went jet black all on its own.
Please tell this person to wait and let the puppy's nose go black naturally.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
1. Why hasn't the dog been in the light?

2. Why in the world would you tattoo the nose? If the pigmentation is that bad the dog should not be bred. Tattooing is only fooling yourself. The next generation will get the poor pigment. It should be sold as pet on spay/neuter agreement.

I would not tattoo the entire nose for cosmetic reasons. The dog would need to be sedated for it and why risk infection and anesthesia for something like that.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The pup was sold as a pet with limited papers, not for breeding. It had some light, but it was raised totally in the house in a room with shade trees outside, which filtered the light. It was papertrained, and did not go outside in the direct sunlight.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Lucylou,
Just so we understand, this is one of your pups that someone is interested in? Or someone else's pup?

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, I'm fortified with a new can of diet drink (Tab--remember those?), so I'll tell you the rest of the horrible story.
Yes, this is one of my pups. I am very protective of them. He and his sister spent the first four weeks in my shower (I used the bathtub during those weeks). Then, they enjoyed running around in my bathroom. There is a big oak tree outside the bathroom. They did go into my bedroom (his sister even figured out how to get in my bed and bite my toes). The bedroom is also shaded. He was out of the house four times--twice to the vet, and two days to work with me where he charmed my patients in the nursing homes. I don't start shots until eight weeks, so they stay in isolation unit the second shot.
I thought I had found the perfect home for this pup. He went, as a pet, to a family on the west coast. I've exchanged a number of emails since he left. I've been told how smart he is, how loving he is, etc.
Now, for the horrible part. The VET wants to tatoo the pup's nose. I am totally against it. Sure, I should have moved him to my sunroom, but I just didn't. They were happy where they were, and I just didn't. Oversight on my part. He has nice eye pigmentation, and his nose is turning. It's just not all there yet. Typical winter nose. He went for his vet visit today with his new owner. I wasn't worried, as he has been seen twice by my vet, and all I got was compliments. Well, not only does this vet want to do the tatoo, but, even though his bite is OK (scissor), she told them that he had one crooked canine tooth, and they should consider braces. Guess who they want to pay for both of these? No way will I contribute in any way to the torture of one of my pups by a tatoo of the nose. I sold this pup as a pet for 1/5 the price of a show pup. He was sold as a pet, and, now they want show quality at the pet price. I'm thinking of refuning their money to rescue my pup from them and their vet.
So, as Paul Harvey says, you have the rest of the story.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
I would definetely get him back!!!!
Both they and their vet are NUTS!

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Good lord! I agree with Traci! They are NUTS! I hope you can get him back but we all know how hard that is going to be. Do you think they plan to show him without your consent or something? Why on earth would that stuff matter? Especially the tooth! Do keep us posted. I hope at the very least you can talk some sense into them

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Originally posted by LucyLou@Jun 1 2005, 07:59 PM
Ok, I'm fortified with a new can of diet drink (Tab--remember those?), so I'll tell you the rest of the horrible story.
Yes, this is one of my pups.  I am very protective of them.  He and his sister spent the first four weeks in my shower (I used the bathtub during those weeks).  Then, they enjoyed running around in my bathroom.  There is a big oak tree outside the bathroom.  They did go into my bedroom (his sister even figured out how to get in my bed and bite my toes).  The bedroom is also shaded.  He was out of the house four times--twice to the vet, and two days to work with me where he charmed my patients in the nursing homes.  I don't start shots until eight weeks, so they stay in isolation unit the second shot.
I thought I had found the perfect home for this pup.  He went, as a pet, to a family on the west coast.  I've exchanged a number of emails since he left.  I've been told how smart he is, how loving he is, etc. 
Now, for the horrible part.  The VET wants to tatoo the pup's nose.  I am totally against it.  Sure, I should have moved him to my sunroom, but I just didn't.  They were happy where they were, and I just didn't. Oversight on my part.  He has nice eye pigmentation, and his nose is turning.  It's just not all there yet.  Typical winter nose.  He went for his vet visit today with his new owner.  I wasn't worried, as he has been seen twice by my vet, and all I got was compliments.  Well, not only does this vet want to do the tatoo, but, even though his bite is OK (scissor), she told them that he had one crooked canine tooth, and they should consider braces.  Guess who they want to pay for both of these?  No way will I contribute in any way to the torture of one of my pups by a tatoo of the nose.  I sold this pup as a pet for 1/5 the price of a show pup.  He was sold as a pet, and, now they want show quality at the pet price.  I'm thinking of refuning their money to rescue my pup from them and their vet.
So, as Paul Harvey says, you have the rest of the story.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=67873
[/QUOTE]

Faye,

That's just terrible. I can't believe how awful people can be!!!! You sold this puppy as a pet right? So if they are violating the contract, don't you have the right to get him back?

Thank you again for your nice thoughts for me.

Olga

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
What a terrible thing to do! Is this pup a pet? Why do they care so much with a little pink? If this is a show pup, it is deceiving and not allowed!

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Originally posted by MalteseJane@Jun 1 2005, 10:29 PM
This is nuts. How can anybody think of something like this. I would get him back.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=67889
[/QUOTE]

I questioned her at length. She said she just wanted a companion (pet) to play with her other pup of the same age.
She doesn't want to show the pup. She just wants one that is show quality, but she paid 1/5 show price.
I am really really upset that this vet is trying to do this. They think she is a Maltese expert.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts