Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mom's side of the family is trying a new gift exchange this year. All of the women (9 of us ranging in age from 18 to mid-50s) are supposed to buy a gift for the other 7 women. Here is where it gets "fun" (
)! The gifts have to be the same and have to cost less than $5 a piece. It has to be something everyone will like and can NOT be lotions, candles or a gift certificate. :new_Eyecrazy:

Anyone have any ideas?

We are supposed to be clever and the person with the best deal gets some kind of trophy. I so miss our normal gift exchange!

HELP!!!!

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Wow!

And I thought our family was doing a wacky "gift exchange", this is for our extended family holiday party. We are each supposed to bring a gift ($25), and then we put it on the Auction table- and we bid on buying whatever gift we want, all the money going to a local charity!
So... not only do I have to buy a $25 gift for someone else, I am supposed to buy my own gift. Wouldn't it have been better if they said- instead of the gift exchange, we are asking that you give $25 to a charity of your choice? They didn't even say what charity the money is going to, I don't just throw around my money to just any charity. I don't want my money going to a cause I don't support, or an organization I don't have believe deserves it!
BTW< this wacky plan is my husband's family, not mine! :lol:

OK... (thanks for letting me get off my chest!)!

Suggestions:
Lip gloss in a light color, that would look good on everyone
Candy
Is there a photo that has all of you together? Or do you have photos of you with each of the women? If so, you can get a photo magnet made at Walmart for around $4.00, or Photo stickers for around the same amount.
Along the same lines- all the dollar stores have great prices on photo frames- frame a picture of you with them, or a photo with all of you together.
IKEA (do you have one near you) has these great "chip clips", they come in a big bag for around $5.00- they are the best clips I have ever had, I always give them as stocking stuffers.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide to go with!

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think we are supposed to try to find good deals on stuff. So something that might be normally more money but is on sale for $5 or less. I wish I had been there when they decide to do this! LOL

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Oh I see!

Last year I went to Mikasa, and I found crystal picture frames that were on clearance for $5.50, they were normally $60!!!! I bought several and have kept them in my gift closet for emergency gifts, or for gift exchanges.

This sounds like a lot of work! You are going to have to dig in the clearance bins at all your favorite stores!

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Wow...$5.00 is not very much to work with. I got an idea for gifts from a discussion board about ice cream goodies baskets and since I just bought the stuff for some this weekend, I'll share the info. You may not like this idea, but just a thought. I got the stuff at Wal-Mart. Sundae dish-$1.00, Hot fudge topping-$1.53 (maybe cheaper if you can find store brand), store brand sprinkles-$0.67, store brand jar of cherries-$1.28. Equals $4.48 + Tax. I'm also gonna put other things in mine, like cones and ice cream scoops, but that would put you over $5.

Or you could go rob Deanna's gift closet!!!

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by TuckersMom@Oct 24 2005, 03:04 PM
Wow...$5.00 is not very much to work with.  I got an idea for gifts from a discussion board about ice cream goodies baskets and since I just bought the stuff for some this weekend, I'll share the info.  You may not like this idea, but just a thought.  I got the stuff at Wal-Mart.  Sundae dish-$1.00, Hot fudge topping-$1.53 (maybe cheaper if you can find store brand), store brand sprinkles-$0.67, store brand jar of cherries-$1.28.  Equals $4.48 + Tax.  I'm also gonna put other things in mine, like cones and ice cream scoops, but that would put you over $5.

Or you could go rob Deanna's gift closet!!!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=113035
[/QUOTE]
Hmm? That is a good idea! Would appeal to all ages! I'll keep that in mind. I can always fall back on it if I can't find anything else.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
If you lived in Canada I would tell you to wait and go to the umbra sale... you can get a whole bathroom set.... the tooth brush older , tisue box, soap dish and cup for 1 $ each on the last day sunday just befor 4:00 pm . They drop all the prices. you could even get picure frames and vases mirrors . These are all the nice suff you see in the store for over 60 dollors. On that day you can get all that good stuff for like 5 to 10 dollers.
durring the year the tooth brush holder is 25 it's self noting else included.
I don't really know what you can get for 5$ anymore...unless you go to the umbra sale

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by Chelsey@Oct 24 2005, 03:21 PM
If you lived in Canada I would tell you to wait and go to the umbra sale... you can get a whole bathroom set.... the tooth brush older  , tisue box, soap dish and cup for  1 $ each on the last day sunday just befor 4:00 pm .  They drop all the prices.  you could even get picure frames and vases mirrors .  These are all the nice suff you see in the store for over 60 dollors.  On that day you can get all that good stuff for like 5 to 10 dollers.
durring the year the tooth brush holder is 25 it's self noting else included.
I don't really know what you can get for 5$ anymore...unless you go to the umbra sale
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=113048
[/QUOTE]
I know this is ridiculous

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My mom is going to talk to my aunts about having the granddaughters (3 of us) in our own exchange. That way it will be easier. The range for me to buy for would be 18 and 30. Not as bad. Since we only have to buy 2 gifts she is also going to suggest raising our limit to $10. So any suggestion for that would be great too.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Originally posted by TuckersMom@Oct 24 2005, 01:04 PM
Wow...$5.00 is not very much to work with.  I got an idea for gifts from a discussion board about ice cream goodies baskets and since I just bought the stuff for some this weekend, I'll share the info.  You may not like this idea, but just a thought.  I got the stuff at Wal-Mart.  Sundae dish-$1.00, Hot fudge topping-$1.53 (maybe cheaper if you can find store brand), store brand sprinkles-$0.67, store brand jar of cherries-$1.28.  Equals $4.48 + Tax.  I'm also gonna put other things in mine, like cones and ice cream scoops, but that would put you over $5.
Cute idea! I am writing this down on my "gift exchange" gifts list.

I love doing gift baskets- I find sometimes I go overboard and end up spending too much to make it just so. I did a movie night one; microwave popcorn, DVDs, movie theatre type candy.

I did a Texas themed one once- Margarita mix, Tequila, Margarita glasses, home made salsa, gormet tortilla chips.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Originally posted by Deanna+Oct 24 2005, 03:33 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-TuckersMom
@Oct 24 2005, 01:04 PM
Cute idea! I am writing this down on my "gift exchange" gifts list.

I love doing gift baskets- I find sometimes I go overboard and end up spending too much to make it just so. I did a movie night one; microwave popcorn, DVDs, movie theatre type candy.

I did a Texas themed one once- Margarita mix, Tequila, Margarita glasses, home made salsa, gormet tortilla chips.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=113057
[/B][/QUOTE]
I'm gonna also put M&M's in my ice cream baskets as well. I think I'll write down your ideas also. Those are great. Sorry about the "robbing your gift closet idea"
But hey, I wish I could come across a deal like you got on those picture frames.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Sorry to say I don't really have any good ideas, I am not a good shopper at Christmas because I like to spoil my family and tend to go overboard a bit. I remember my first Christmas over here in the US, I went on my merry way shopping for special gifts to send back home to the kids and grandkids and by the time I was finished the parcel was rather large, consequently the cost of sending it back to Australia was astronomical by air, but we had to get it there before Xmas so air it was. We now send the kids money so they can either put it in their banks or buy something they really need.
Sorry I can't help with the original gift buying, but I must admit I have now found some really good ideas.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts