Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 399 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some background - the vet wants Lucky's liver to detox before we do more bloodwork, which we will be asking Dr Center to review. So Lucky is on an hepatic diet and is taking Denamarin. He does not like the canned food but I have been giving him vegetarian kibble and hepatic formula kibble which he is eating. He has been having occasional eggs, cottage cheese etc and lots of vegies. I was off this week, so his schedule is a bit off.

In general he has been playful in the morning and at night and more quiet during the day. Thursday his dog sitter came for a while and he was very active and although he was not playing with his toys he was jumping all over the place. She thought he was acting like himself, very energetic. Yesterday he did not want to play, but I asked him if he wanted to walk and he went crazy running around. I put his leash and halter on and we went out. He was actually hopping and pulling me. We took at 10 minute walk. He came back and ate some. Then he was laying around. Later I asked him if he wanted to walk, he was very excited and we walked but his heart was not really into it. I tried to get him to play and he was not into it. Then I decided to give him a bath. After his bath, I timed his post-bath zoomies - over seven minutes of running throughout the house, jumping up and down on the couch, etc.then went to his kibble and chowed down big time on his kibble. Last night still no play with toys, so we wrestled a bit and he went over and he went and ate some kibble.

We went to bed last night and he settled right down, but when I woke up he was sleeping on the floor. When we saw me waking he came up and was full of kisses. At first he did not want to play, but eventually he played fetch for about 5 minutes, he ran to fetch his toys, but no hopping and he more sauntered to bring it back. This morning he did not eat even when I offered him eggs, but when I asked him if he wanted to go for a walk, he ran around the house and actually ran half way up the stairs after me when I went upstairs to get ready to go out. He was like a little puppy. When we were on our walk, he was actually pulling me at times.

I thought about taking to the vet office (his vet will not be in until Tuesday), but he is eating, pooping (his poops are big but well formed), drinking, and peeing. He has bursts of energy, follows me everywhere, is interactive with his environment, he his not drooling, his gums look good, no pacing, no circling, he is walking fine and is fast paced in his walking - he is not dragging. He just pooped and I could see him and he had no issues. His eyes are actually sparkly. He just seems bored, he left the bed and he has not interest in his toys over the last two days. This morning he has not eaten. Although he usually gobbles his eggs, it is not unheard of him picking at his food throughout the day and by 5 his food is gone.

How worried would you be in this behavior.

I want to make sure I catch any issues quickly, but at the same time because of what I just went through, am I overreacting to things that are not there. Other than being a bit moody and not enthusiastic about food today, he seems fine. He runs to the windows and doors to bark, etc.

Any advice would be helpful. I already asked that his vet to call on Tuesday when he comes in and we will be scheduling his tests. The vets office doesn't think there is anything to worry about.

When my mother was alive a few months ago, we had lot's of people coming into the house, nurses, physical therapists, etc., so there was a lot of stimulation for him. Now the house is much quieter and he may in fact just be bored.

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
10,616 Posts
How old is Lucky? I'm thinking that he is just slowing down, not like getting old, just growing up. MiMi and Ray do not play much at all. They have two times a day when they run and play. I know that MiMi and Ray are bored. Lucky is probably a little bored just because the household is quieter.

Yes, I think you are worrying too much, I understand that is hard not to worry.

·
Premium Member
9,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How old is Lucky? I'm thinking that he is just slowing down, not like getting old, just growing up. MiMi and Ray do not play much at all. They have two times a day when they run and play. I know that MiMi and Ray are bored. Lucky is probably a little bored just because the household is quieter.

Yes, I think you are worrying too much, I understand that is hard not to worry.
Lucky just turned three. Obviously liver shunt keeps going through my mind even though none of the vets in the practice think that. There are 8 vets who reviewed his case. They think it was a one time thing because there were so many oddities in his test results. Further testing will help either ease my mind or define a course of action. It is true over the past week I have been very sad with him not being very active at times and then all of a sudden he will be running around and playing.

·
Premium Member
23,996 Posts
Walter - to tell you the truth, he sounds really normal to me. Tyler's 4 and as I recall Lucky is around that age. He does a lot of hanging around tho goes nuts when I want to take him out. Loves it and grabs his leash and walks himself out the door when I open it to our hallway. He'll play a bit with Jim with his toys - tug of war but really not for that long - 5 minutes would be on the long side for him and he'll eat all his food sometimes and others, he won't. I think that as they age they settle a bit. Just not that crazy wild puppiness that they have for a couple of years - kind of maturity. We have a 6 month old puppy next to us who is insane and flies all over the place, jumps over all the dogs, grabs toys like crazy and plays tug of war with her sister and tends to nip anything in sight. Tyler and the havanese down the hall kind of put up with her and chase her a little but they're past that and the other day, just when the pup turned 6 months, both Lucy and Tyler had decided not to put up with her biting antics and bad manners and both put her in her place. It was so funny - as if they gave her her puppy time but now they're saying, at this age you better chill, kid. Interesting dynamics but just to say I think that they change their habits as they age.
Also Luck has gone through a lot. Between all those people you talked about, losing your mom and being very sick and at the vet's for quite a while, he may still be feeling the stress and needs more time to get back into all his routine behaviors in full swing. It sounds like he's doing well in all the places that count.
Do you have any of those Nina Ottosen toys for him that are challenging? Maybe he won't be bored if he has some. Tyler doesn't like them but a lot of dogs do.

·
Premium Member
17,337 Posts
Walter -- I think that when we're home with them during the day (off from work), it interrupts their routine. I've been home a lot lately -- working from home and resting from various procedures. I find throughout the day that the girls do their own thing. They go into the office to sleep on their beds instead of sitting next to me all day and they seldom play during most of the day. If I have to go in the car and can take them, they get very excited when we go "bye-bye", but then when we get home, they go back to just laying around. I don't know if it's boredom or just because fluffs sleep a lot. It always surprises me that they don't want to be close to me every second when I'm home. But they pretty much like to stick to their everyday routine.

Now, when I'm at work all day and come home, they're active when I get home -- because they're been laying around all day with me at the office. So even when I'm home all day, their activity routine seems to stay the same. They play when they get up in the morning and then after dinner in the evening, but are quiet during the day.

Also the heat of summer does seem to slow my girls down more. It's normal. It slows me down more too. LOL

And, yes, as Lucky is now 3, he is probably a little less active as he is growing up.

To me, his activity level isn't something I would be concerned about.

·
Premium Member
9,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lucky doesn't play with interactive toys, I have tried and he does not play with other dogs either, just with people. On the one hand I want to make sure he stays all right, on the other I sometimes feel like a crazy old dog man (if there is such a thing). Clearly 3 weeks ago he was sick and I could feel it, now I am more just questioning if everything is all right. He may actually be picking up on my confusion and emotions also and we may be feeding each other's emotions and mood.

I appreciate everyone's opinions and advice.

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
Walter, it does sound like he is bored. is there anyone near that you can have a play date with a couple of times a week? Of course you could always get an additional dog :). I don't think I would do the day care or dog park since he is still recovering but if he had a pal for an hour it might help.

·
Premium Member
9,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Walter, it does sound like he is bored. is there anyone near that you can have a play date with a couple of times a week? Of course you could always get an additional dog :). I don't think I would do the day care or dog park since he is still recovering but if he had a pal for an hour it might help.
I have a dog walker come in twice a week to play with him. He perks up when she comes in. She has a sheltie and Luck stayed with her when I was in SF for a meeting. Lucky really just ignored her dog. No aggression, but no interest. Her dog does play with other dogs.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
Lucky sounds okay to me.... I do understand worry.

But it seems like the last few months have been a huge change to what he was used to. So he may be a tad depressed about the lack of people in the house.

And he could be adjusting to the new way of things.

I'd almost say get another dog... maybe find a rescue who is calm and you know loves other dogs. But I don't know if that is something you want or have even considered.

A dog walker is great.

Maybe with more time he will adjust....and like others said, he is growing up. Gus really mellowed out even more at 3. It was a relief... There are times I worry about him but really it is just him becoming an adult. He still plays and has "puppy" moments but he's happy to mellow out and sit in his favorite chair for most of the day.

Hugs to Lucky

·
Registered
5,480 Posts
It does sound normal to me. My Zoe is like very laid back, sleeps a lot, not big on playing with toys but does get excited to go outside. Worrying comes with having these little guys. I too often wonder if something is wrong with her. :unsure:

·
Premium Member
6,086 Posts
He sounds fine to me, Walter...the only thing I would be concerned about is reluctance to eat and what you are feeding him...it is okay to mix vegetarian kibble with the hepatic if he will eat it..cottage cheese and eggs are quality sources of protein and great for liver dogs...but be careful with the amount of daily protein he is getting. One boiled egg white (don't feed yolks) is approximately one day's protein for a 5 pound(liver) dog. If you are adding the cottage cheese or eggs to his kibble, you are increasing the amount of protein he is eating...just be sure give very small amounts of the egg whites or cottage cheese( 1 tsp)...if he likes cottage cheese, I have a liver friendly recipe I could pass along...

·
Premium Member
9,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have a 12:30 appointment on Sunday. He just had diarhea at 6:30, he still has not eaten today. Why does everything get worse Sat night? After his diarhea he seemed to have a bit more of a skip in his step, but he is still very sleepy. He is resting on my chair, now. He seems comfortable. In his entire life he has had diarhea only once, after his neuter on medication. Needless to say, I am very concerned - no I am completely stressed out. Could he gotten sick on the peas yesterday? No peas in the poop. Could the denemarin cause diarhea?

·
Premium Member
23,996 Posts
Walter, If I remember correctly, I think diarrhea is considered numerous loose bowel movements not just one. Was it that his stool was very soft or has he been doing that several times? I'm thinking possibly the peas since I'm not sure how they're digested and how much fiber...maybe too much. Not sure.

·
Premium Member
9,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Walter, If I remember correctly, I think diarrhea is considered numerous loose bowel movements not just one. Was it that his stool was very soft or has he been doing that several times? I'm thinking possibly the peas since I'm not sure how they're digested and how much fiber...maybe too much. Not sure.
Just once very liquidy. The sam-e is supposed to push things out fast. Because he did it on a pee pad, I hvae captured it for the vet.

·
Premium Member
9,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks so much, it so far has only been once, and without being too vivid, it was considerable. He is sleeping now. It was firm when he went twice this morning.

·
Premium Member
5,642 Posts
Walter-read your post, and your Lucky sounds like he could pretty much be either of my dogs. :thumbsup: nothing pops out at me. I think when they eat at will and add veggies and things to their diet your bound to have mornings they just aren't hungry or days with a loose stool. Mine arent hungry every mealtime either. Sammie has had loose stools when he ate veggies. Not same as diareah. And can happen even from a different treat. They so tiny doesn't take much, they will eat like they can handle it and it fools you till the tummy ache or runny stool. I just stopped adding lot of extras. He gets what he needs in his dog foods and veggie chew treats. He gets his kibble & PF, and his stools are consistent. Maybe get the bile acid redone since its easy test and take it from there. I had a dog with a severe shunt, Lucky is not the same in any way. If you do find he has a higher BAT still doesn't mean he has a shunt. I was told with Sammie's elevated BAT, since he is young & healthy (like Lucky) just watch his protein intake is all I needed to do for now. Your Lucky sounds normal to me but I do understand what a scare can do to us. I think once hou get the tests over with you feel better. We all love our babies. :wub: So glad Lucky is doing well.

PS-I too noticed with age Sammie has changed. I have found him on floor many am's waiting for me to get up I guess...lol. He never did this before couple months ago. I guess it's maturity. As soon as I wake he's back up in bed.

·
Premium Member
5,642 Posts
Walter- just saw you last post. I'll bet he has a belly ache today. (maybe stop the extra veggies and things till you get his tests). But if all else is good - I can tell if tummy upset and mine usually eat pretty soon. It's so hard when they dont eat or have out ordinary behaviours. Hang in there. Bless your heart Walter. He might eat before bed. I'm thinking maybe the peas too.
xxxx

·
Premium Member
9,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Walter-read your post, and your Lucky sounds like he could pretty much be either of my dogs. :thumbsup: nothing pops out at me. I think when they eat at will and add veggies and things to their diet your bound to have mornings they just aren't hungry or days with a loose stool. Mine arent hungry every mealtime either. Sammie has had loose stools when he ate veggies. Not same as diareah. And can happen even from a different treat. They so tiny doesn't take much, they will eat like they can handle it and it fools you till the tummy ache or runny stool. I just stopped adding lot of extras. He gets what he needs in his dog foods and veggie chew treats. He gets his kibble & PF, and his stools are consistent. Maybe get the bile acid redone since its easy test and take it from there. I had a dog with a severe shunt, Lucky is not the same in any way. If you do find he has a higher BAT still doesn't mean he has a shunt. I was told with Sammie's elevated BAT, since he is young & healthy (like Lucky) just watch his protein intake is all I needed to do for now. Your Lucky sounds normal to me but I do understand what a scare can do to us. I think once hou get the tests over with you feel better. We all love our babies. :wub: So glad Lucky is doing well.

PS-I too noticed with age Sammie has changed. I have found him on floor many am's waiting for me to get up I guess...lol. He never did this before couple months ago. I guess it's maturity. As soon as I wake he's back up in bed.
Your post just brought tears of relief to my eyes. I have been a nervous wreck this month, any minor change makes me so stressed. Since he was sick, I am always looking for something to be wrong. We are redoing the BAT and doing a protein c.

I have always had dogs with iron stomachs, so this is all new to me.

1 - 20 of 399 Posts