Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

41 - 60 of 399 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,213 Posts
Hey Walter, we are thinking of you tonight here in Greece. I hope Lucky lives up to his name & that all will be well soon. Please keep us posted. Friday seems too far off in many ways! I don't think I will have internet on Friday but will go to Starbucks to check so please post when you know something. Prayers & hugs.

·
Premium Member
23,996 Posts
Walter - glad he's being taken care of. I'm not that convinced that it's a shunt (but what do I know) but what good fortune to have a doctor who trained under Dr. Center. Best way to get to the bottom of this. Is this a different vet practice than you had been at? Hope you get to stick with this doctor and sorry Lucky had to stay there. i know you miss him but sounds like if it is an acquired shunt that it is very treatable. Sending you hugs. :grouphug:

·
Premium Member
9,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Walter - glad he's being taken care of. I'm not that convinced that it's a shunt (but what do I know) but what good fortune to have a doctor who trained under Dr. Center. Best way to get to the bottom of this. Is this a different vet practice than you had been at? Hope you get to stick with this doctor and sorry Lucky had to stay there. i know you miss him but sounds like if it is an acquired shunt that it is very treatable. Sending you hugs. :grouphug:
No there are 8 vets in the practice, most are from the area and most of them trained at Cornell. The reason he thinks it is a shunt is comparing the CBC count and chemistry profiles from the last visit with the ones today. He noticed anemia and a white blood count increase. Lucky's ALTs were normal this time. The protein C test will tell us more. What is great about the practice is they have weekly meetings on their non-routine cases, so you have eight vets looking a serious issues. Information about shunts are confusing, because it depends on type, size, liver damage, unerlying condition etc. But he was trying to be reassuring, and he believes the research in medical management is very promising.

·
Premium Member
17,337 Posts
Sending lots of hugs to you and prayers for Lucky. I'm so glad that your Vets know Dr. Center and her research with shunts. Sounds like they're on top of it and you're so aware of Lucky and each of his little changes that you're getting him to the Vets quickly.

·
Premium Member
6,086 Posts
No there are 8 vets in the practice, most are from the area and most of them trained at Cornell. The reason he thinks it is a shunt is comparing the CBC count and chemistry profiles from the last visit with the ones today. He noticed anemia and a white blood count increase. Lucky's ALTs were normal this time. The protein C test will tell us more. What is great about the practice is they have weekly meetings on their non-routine cases, so you have eight vets looking a serious issues. Information about shunts are confusing, because it depends on type, size, liver damage, unerlying condition etc. But he was trying to be reassuring, and he believes the research in medical management is very promising.
I was hoping it was the food...:huh: I agree with your vet...the anemia and high white blood count may be indicative of a shunt...some of them will also have low albumin..also, the liver values can be normal in some with shunts..it can be tricky, for sure...I am happy that Lucky has such great care...what a blessing! They can often be managed medically...hang in there, Walter...you and Lucky will get through this..:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
9,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
They have started medications. No real improvement, but except for the diarrhea he just was a bit tired, so unless there is a burst of energy, not sure what they would see. After the meds, he did vomit. They want to continue meds today and redo blood work in the AM to see if there are improvements to his panels. Hoping he is drinking and eating this afternoon.

·
Premium Member
9,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I just got an update on Lucky - he had diarrhea at 11:30 this morning, he still is not eating but he is now drinking water on his own.

·
Premium Member
6,086 Posts
Walter, I am so sorry that Lucky is still unwell..:( I hope he is feeling better soon and can come home....

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
Oh Walter, I am so sorry to hear Lucky is back at the doctors. Praying for a fast recovery. I don't know much about liver shunt, but hoping medicine a consistent diet will stabilize him.

41 - 60 of 399 Posts