Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, today was Baxters vet appt. Remember earlier I talked about Baxters vet not wanting to neuter him until his permenent teeth came him and he gained more weight. Well today he weighed 3lbs. yea!!!
but she wants me to bring him back in one month to recheck his teeth. He still has all his baby teeth. I explained to her he was begining to mark some. It is not bad yet, but I told her I did not want it to get to that point. (He has only marked once, but he is lifting his leg to pee and humping all the time!!) I am really getting worried that maybe she is going to wait to long to neuter him and he will be marking alot by then. He is 5 months old now and will be 6 months before she will recheck him. Am I right to worry and question her decision or should I wait it out?? I am just not sure.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by DanaH@Jan 21 2005, 06:12 PM
Okay, today was Baxters vet appt.  Remember earlier I talked about Baxters vet not wanting to neuter him until his permenent teeth came him and he gained more weight.  Well today he weighed 3lbs.  yea!!!
but she wants me to bring him back in one month to recheck his teeth.  He still has all his baby teeth.  I explained to her he was begining to mark some.  It is not bad yet, but I told her I did not want it to get to that point.  (He has only marked once, but he is lifting his leg to pee and humping all the time!!)  I am really getting worried that maybe she is going to wait to long to neuter him and he will be marking alot by then.  He is 5 months old now and will be 6 months before she will recheck him.  Am I right to worry and question her decision or should I wait it out??  I am just not sure.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=30753
[/QUOTE]

Hi, I'm curious if you have another male dog or if he is around male dogs. I am wondering why he is already lifting his leg. Do you walk him where he can smell where other dogs have marked? The reason I am asking is I am just curious about what makes them start this. My Catcher was neutered at a week or so under 6 months, but he weighed almost 6 pounds. He was not lifting or marking then and hasn't ever. He has never even humped. I don't want him to start any of this so I am always interested in what may be causing it.....

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Baxter is not around any other male dogs. We have a lab outside but it is a female and she is in a pen. With it being winter I have not been taking Baxter on many walks so that he would be exposed to other dogs urine. I am just really worried about this behavior starting now especially since our vet wants to wait to neuter.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
it is strange that he is marking so soon....did the vet say n e thing about this? most vets wait until 6mo, so I see why she wants to wait....but i wonder why he developed this behavior so soon.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I really wish I knew what started this behavior but I have no idea! He started humping a stuffed toy about a month ago. Maybe my giving him that toy started part of the behavior. My vet did not seem concerned with the behavior today. She just said she would recheck his teeth in a month and go from there as what to do next.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I suppose that could be it but he is never around her. She is in a pen outside and Baxter is never around her or her pen.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Pico was neutered at 8 months and he does not mark. He does hump his favorite stuffed kitty but ONLY that kitty and usually only in the evening. He rarely lifts his leg, usually squats forward and lifts his leg out behind him and it's the cutest thing to see, if not very "manly".

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, I feel somewhat better now although his behavior isn't improving. I do hope once he is neutered it will get better though. Like you said I guess I will just wait this one out and hope he does not get into a regular routine of marking in the mean time. (Waiting is sometimes hard!)

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
mee: I am sure you are right about males being able to smell a female in heat from miles away because if Puddles (our lab) is in heat males from all over end up in my yard trying to get to her. As far as I know she has not being in heat during all these problems with Baxter.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by DanaH@Jan 23 2005, 11:25 AM
mee:  I am sure you are right about males being able to smell a female in heat from miles away because if Puddles (our lab) is in heat males from all over end up in my yard trying to get to her.  As far as I know she has not being in heat during all these problems with Baxter.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=30904
[/QUOTE]

I believe I had read that even being with an unspayed female can bring on these negative male behavior problems such as marking... perhaps he is marking his territory in anticipation of the lab coming in the house ??

·
Registered
894 Posts
I am happy to report that after he was neutered, Toby tried one time to hump Wally's head and (I stopped him) he has NEVER done it again. Also, the leg lifting slowly subsided and now when he pees, he squats like a female dog. So hopefully, the marking will follow the same pattern as it did for Toby and you won't have to worry about it.

Good luck!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=30840
[/QUOTE]

Hey, I wonder if we get all the guys "neutered" they will quit leaving the toilet seat up !!

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
I am happy to report that after he was neutered, Toby tried one time to hump Wally's head and (I stopped him) he has NEVER done it again. Also, the leg lifting slowly subsided and now when he pees, he squats like a female dog. So hopefully, the marking will follow the same pattern as it did for Toby and you won't have to worry about it.

Good luck!

Hey, I wonder if we get all the guys "neutered" they will quit leaving the toilet seat up !!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=31144
[/QUOTE]

I've got a "neutered" male of the human sort and I can say, it doesn't help!

·
Registered
660 Posts

Good luck!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=31144
[/QUOTE]

lol, vasectomy doesn't work.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Kodie was neutered at 1yr 1/2... I had to wait for him to gain some weight and develop more... hes slow at everything... hes was only 3.2lbs when he was neutered. I also had 7 baby teeth pulled at the same time. Kodie started to mark alittle at about 1yr... but since hes been neutered.. no more humping and no marking. I bought belly bands to try to help the situation before he was neutered. People say to neuter you baby around 6months.. but if you dont feel comfortable .. wait.. the vet advised me to weight and i felt i should wait too. I think Kodie was only around 1.5 lbs at 6 months..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts