Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the Dell computer I got in 1999 has finally bitten the dust. The monitor is totally dead. BTW, I'll only be on SM when I can use my computer at work, etc. until I get a new one.

So, I'm not sure what to buy. A computer geek that will be helping me get my new one set up said I shouldn't get a Dell but rather should get something called an "e-machine". Does anyone have experience with that brand?

Also, I need a great photo program and he said I should get Picassa 2. Anyone heard of it?

Is there anything I must have or anything else I should know regarding the processor, RAM, etc.???

I have to say that I am having withdrawals not having my computer at home. I feel like I am so isolated.... !!!

Thanks for any help you can give me!

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
I'll check with my brother, hes a total computer geek

I cant imagine you not being on SM as much!!!!

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
I just ordered my 7th or 8th Dell. I'm not sure of the exact number because that's all I've gotten for years. I like the fact that I can get what I want on the machine instead of stuff like answering machines that I wouldn't use anyway. I don't know anything about emachines but if they are by Gateway I might be worried. I know more people with Gateways that are unhappy. If anyone has a Gateway, I'm not trying to hurt your feelings - just reporting what I've observed. One of the local computer geeks that does the Networking at John's office told me to quit buying Dells and let him build me a computer. I just don't like the idea of not having the warranty as a backup. Now that the hurricane has blown through he has left town and all his customers are without service and warranty. I do feel that Dell's service has suffered in recent years. They seem to employ a lot of tech people who are based in India. It is difficult to communicate. Luckily I have had very, very few issues with my Dells in all these years and have rarely had to make a call for help.

PS. In recent years I buy the middle or low end of Dell computer and then replace every couple of years. I like having a new computer that isn't bogged down by lots of memory hogging stuff. The one I just ordered was the 5100 and has a digital 19" supersharp monitor. I got all the stuff I wanted and the whole thing was only $1400 and that included shipping.

·
Registered
776 Posts
If you want a laptop, I highly recommend my own machine (picked out by my boyfriend after months of research -- he's an electrical/computer engineer) -- its' an Averatec (little known, but amazing price and all the goodies you want!) I paid only $850 and it weighs about four pounds

I bought my parents a Gateway computer two christmases ago, for about... hmm... $400? It was super cheap. THey already had a great monitor, so that wasn't included, but what a deal. It still works and they love it...

I would try to go with something that you're sure you'll use. My boyfriend knows everything about this stuff -- he has five computers of his own at his apartment!!!
And he chose them all after lots of research. A big self-built desktop is his primary machine, but he has a Sony laptop, a dell, a mac, a few others... I could ask his opinion on anything you're looking at and see if it's a good deal or whatever!!

(and if you're buying online, before you buy, go to google and search "Coupon Code Dell" or whatever sort of computer you're getting, or whatever store -- sometimes you can find AMAZING deals like $100 off, or free shipping, or something like that. I used that for my laptop which I got from Bestbuy.com, with a great coupon code that I found online.

Good luck and until you get one, I will miss seeing your frequent and awesome posts

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I just had to add in here that emachines is now a part of Gateway. And I love Gateway!!! We have had several computers over the years, and while we have had some issues, as I have noticed most people have with whatever brand, we have received GREAT customer service, and have been covered with warranties. My mom on the other hand bought a Dell about a year ago, and has had issues with it ever since. She has a major issue trying to get help from Dell's customer service, due to the outsourcing making communication difficult. With our latest, we just purchased a Gateway Laptop from Best Buy. My husband and I both agree that by going through BestBuy we are able to get local help as well as phone/online help. We have only had one minor issue (my fault) that all we had to do was take the laptop in the store, and of the GeekSquad helped me out in like 5 minutes
. You definitely need to know what your primary uses are, that way you can make sure you get what you need, and not things that you will never use.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
We love, love, love our mac laptops (Powerbook G4). Macs are the best!!!!!!!!!!

PS. The ipod and itunes are the best too and all go extremely conveniently together.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I got the eMachine..... several computer "geeks" highly recommended it over anything else... I got a gorgeous 19" Sony monitor and all the bells and whistles on the computer. My old computer had a 10 GB hard drive; this one has 200 GB.... quite a difference!! And it has 1024 of RAM; my old one had 356.

I got it at Best Buy. They were great! I have to say that Dell wanted $229 for Powerpoint and at Best Buy it came with the Microsoft Office for $110!

The "geek" is going to install it on Thursday. I just ran by my office to check email and head off to see a college performance of Urinetown.

Two Malt Mom... I need a PC... I'm just not a "Mac person"!

Thanks so much for the info, guys.... I can't wait to be back online... !!

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I can only go by the experience my daughter has had with her E-machine computer and mine with our Dell. My Dell has been great and her E-machine has had nothing but problems
I know that from her experience with her computer I won't by an E-Machine, I plan on buying another Dell when I decide it's time for a new computer. Again, that's just how it has been for us.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Personally I run from Dell and Gateway

Emachines were good when they were made BY EMACHINE.. But they aren't anymore...

I personally am also in love with my macs.. (Blue and white upgraded to a G4, G3 ice book, G3 clamshell)

IF I were to buy a pc (god forbid) id get something like my hubby has which i believe is compaq

my hp was awesome too... and sony's never bad, but expensive.

As far as mac viruses go.. its because of the system that they're based on and it takes some knowledge to write a virus for them. Not many people use unix so there arent many people who could write the virus.

As far as software goes.. I can do pretty much whatever I want on my mac. Infact a lot of things are easier on my mac than my hubby's pc

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Originally posted by Boom Boom's Mom@Oct 2 2005, 01:17 PM
I personally am also in love with my macs..  (Blue and white upgraded to a G4, G3 ice book, G3 clamshell)

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=105447
[/QUOTE]

I totally feel the same way about my mac (and my husband has an identical mac). We just love them!!! Prior to this laptop, I didn't think I would ever get a mac but everyone in academics uses macs. All the physics and astrophysics geeks at CalTech have the powerbook G4 laptops...what can I say -- I married a geek!!!

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
Originally posted by Boom Boom's Mom@Oct 2 2005, 04:17 PM
Personally I run from Dell and Gateway

IF I were to buy a pc (god forbid) id get something like my hubby has which i believe is compaq

my hp was awesome too... and sony's never bad, but expensive.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=105447
[/QUOTE]

I AGREE with that!! LOL! I have a Dell and my mother HAD a Gateway, before my Dell I had an HP and talked my mother into getting one, she just RAVES about it! I shouldda went with my own advice....

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
My parents are looking for a new computer and they asked me to look for one for them. I would recommend Dell over e-machine. Not sure how e-machine is now but my uncle had one a couple of years ago and it was a piece of crap.

Here is what I picked out for my parents:
Dell Dimension E510
- Intel Pentium 4 Processor 620 w/HT Technology (3.0GHz, 8000FSB)
- Microsoft Windows XP Media Center 2005 Edition
- 1 GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 400MHz (4x256M)
- 80GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache
- Single Drive: 48x CD-RW / DVD-ROM combo Drive
- 13 in 1 Media Card Reader
- FREE UPGRADE! 17" E173FP Analog Flat panel
- Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelator 950
- Integrated Audio with Dolby Digital 7.1 capability
- 56K PCI Data Fax modem
- Dell A425 30 Watt 2.1 Stereo Speakers with Subwoofer
- Dell USB Keyboard
- Dell Optical USB Mouse
- Corel WordPerfect word Processor (my mom works at a college so she can get the full install of Office Pro for $99 on Dell it is around $250; FYI: there are a lot of websites that offer software to students and anyone that works at a school for a really good educational price)
- 4 year limited warrenty, at-home service + nights and weekend

I would recommend getting a minimum of 512MB RAM and a minimum of a 3 year warrenty.

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
Can anyone tell me where I go to see how much RAM I have. I know that it is on here somewhere, but I forgot how to find it.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by Nichole@Oct 2 2005, 09:21 PM
Can anyone tell me where I go to see how much RAM I have.  I know that it is on here somewhere, but I forgot how to find it. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=105561
[/QUOTE]
Right click on My Computer and select Properties. It is listed under the computer section.

[attachment=605:attachment]

Attachments

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Gosh, I really appreciate hearing of your experiences. It seems like there is no #1 top PC. I Googled all the brands with the word "Complaint" and there are pages and pages for all of them. It seems like maybe it is just the luck of the draw. I have the e-machine at home but haven't opened the box yet and don't feel all that great about it. The geek who is helping to install everything said he had installed it for a lot of people and everyone has been very pleased. If I keep the e-machine and have problems, that guy will be hearing from me for sure!

I did purchase Best Buy's three-year in-home warranty so I feel somewhat protected.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
I'm sure that there is no such thing as the perfect PC. Though I've loved Dell and have never had trouble - if I ever got a lemon I'd probably never buy another. One of the big PC magazines does a yearly report on reliability and customer service. Its bookmarked on my waterlogged computer. LOL. Maybe someone else can provide a link to the most recent article.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Originally posted by msmagnolia@Oct 3 2005, 11:23 AM
I'm sure that there is no such thing as the perfect PC.  Though I've loved Dell and have never had trouble - if I ever got a lemon I'd probably never buy another.  One of the big PC magazines does a yearly report on reliability and customer service.  Its bookmarked on my waterlogged computer.  LOL.  Maybe someone else can provide a link to the most recent article.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=105673
[/QUOTE]

Susan, that was a great idea. I found a wonderful site that has a listing of all PC reviews http://www.consumersearch.com/www/computer...rs/reviews.html.

I really don't know what to do now. If I would have had a computer at home to do research I might have avoided the predicament I'm in. I'm convinced from the reviews that Dell is a good computer yet the computer nerds hate it. I think Dell's good reviews speak for themselves.

I'm leary of the e-Machine but may be stuck with it since I have would have to take all pieces back to Best Buy and start over and it would be a royal hassle to pack up the screen, etc. Of course I could just get the Dell tower... hmmm, I don't know what to do!!!!

EDIT: I found this rating, which rated e-machine high.... it seems that I'll find so many different results on different ratings... I may just stick with what I have and be done with it!! WHAT A PAIN IT IS TO BUY A NEW COMPUTER!!!http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,a...514,pg,3,00.asp

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
My company has mostly all dell computers. I think we only have less than 10 computers out of 90 that are not dell's. My laptop at home is a dell.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom@Oct 3 2005, 09:48 AM
I did purchase Best Buy's three-year in-home warranty so I feel somewhat protected.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=105634
[/QUOTE]

do a google on"best buy computer warranty complaints" their repair times and procedures are crazy, i know a former best buy employee who will not set foot in the place because of what they were forced to do to customers, i wont spend my money there either because of a rude way i was treated once

anyway, just saw this today, emachines are pretty decent puters these days, i dont know how the takeover from gateway will affect that because gateway has had quality control issues in the past, dells are great machines however they have even started using subpar components to get their prices down, we got a dell laptop 7-8 months ago (guessing) and it has been great, i'll buy another in the future, just a note on dell, buy from the small business part of the site, just enter your name as the business, typically you can keep and eye on the small business site and get great deal on free upgrades, like memory, harddrives, software etc, and it will still be cheaper than the stripped down version on the regular dell site

now, for desktops i do two things, #1 for people interested in getting a desktop, go to a local (but known) computer shop and have them custom built, 90% of the time you will get the same specs as a "best buy" product for about the same price BUT you will get quality parts nad better service/warranty than a big box store, the ones around here offer lifetime free labor for repairs

#2 consider building your own, research online for tips and how too's, 4-5 years ago i decided i was going to try it, never even opened up the inside of a computer before, built it and its still running, i built my second one last year and the best thing is it is unbelievably cheap, this past one I paid about 500.00 for all the parts (- the monitor) for the same thing that sells in stores for 1200.00-1500.00 $'s

check out NewEgg.com they have great prices on parts and even complete systems

1 - 20 of 55 Posts