Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, my Nani is a year old now and scheduled for her spay next week. I am looking for recommendations for keeping her from licking her stitches. I used an inflatable collar type for a larger dog in the past and it worked well. My concern for Nani is she will start to cough and gag if something is too restricting around her neck or if she looks up too far she causes it. She is in a full coat so I don’t want her getting a lot of mats under a onesie type thing or going potty in it either. She uses Fresh Patch grass in the house. I am curious about the soft or comfy cones. Has anyone had any experience with either of those with their Maltese? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
When we had our little Malts and Yorkies spayed, we did not use any Collar. Instead I bought Onsies that are for Babies. Since she is already one year old, I am not sure how big she is but I think that they come in various sizes.

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
Some folks are using a pool noodle cut down with a ribbon through it instead of a cone. Years ago, I used a onsie.

·
Premium Member
17,396 Posts

Reactions: Abella's Mommy

·
Premium Member
17,396 Posts
It is an Alfie---I got small but extra small would have worked better---she did great in it w/2 surgeries. I don't know if that particular one is still available but this is the site: https://www.amazon.com/Alfie-Pet-Petoga-Couture-Recovery/dp/B01C2LU7XE
Lisi runs from 4 1/2 to 5 lbs depending on how she is doing (she has cancer). I work hard to keep weight on her, but she usually loves to eat, which helps.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is an Alfie---I got small but extra small would have worked better---she did great in it w/2 surgeries. I don't know if that particular one is still available but this is the site: https://www.amazon.com/Alfie-Pet-Petoga-Couture-Recovery/dp/B01C2LU7XE
Lisi runs from 4 1/2 to 5 lbs depending on how she is doing (she has cancer). I work hard to keep weight on her, but she usually loves to eat, which helps.
Okay I will look for it. Nani is 7lbs, bigger than both her parents. Crazy how that works. So sorry to hear about Lisi. I hope she holds on with a good quality of life. Thanks for the info.

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
I too used a onesie for Abella - I customized it a little bit - Cut hole out for her tail and made it fit a bit better. You state you don't want her going potty in a onesie. I didn't have that problem with Abella - she was potty trained well before getting fixed at 6 months old. I should add that Abella only needed to wear the onesie for one day. She was completely fine with leaving her stitches alone. Of coarse I am home with her all day so I kept a close eye on her.

LOVE that picture of Lisi in her pink cone - She is cute as a button!!!! I think the company should use her in their advertising. 🐶 🐾🌻

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I too used a onesie for Abella - I customized it a little bit - Cut hole out for her tail and made it fit a bit better. You state you don't want her going potty in a onesie. I didn't have that problem with Abella - she was potty trained well before getting fixed at 6 months old. I should add that Abella only needed to wear the onesie for one day. She was completely fine with leaving her stitches alone. Of coarse I am home with her all day so I kept a close eye on her.

LOVE that picture of Lisi in her pink cone - She is cute as a button!!!! I think the company should use her in their advertising. 🐶 🐾🌻
Nani is potty trained but she has access to her grass all the time so I don't always know when she uses it. I work from home so I am with her all day as well but I have a feeling she will want to mess with her stitches.

I love the pic of Lisi also! I ordered that cone and will let yall know how it goes next week. Her surgery is Wednesday.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
I should have been more specific as Abella's Mother was in her post. I also custom made it so our little Puppies were able to be comfortable. And when our little Laci had her spaying, and as well as all of our other Puppies, I simply took the Onsie off when I took them out to go and do their thing outside.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good morning everyone. Nani had her spay yesterday and is doing well. The Alfie cone is working great and she doesn't seem to mind it, at least for now. She was a little rough looking when I picked her up yesterday as you can see in the first picture. But she is much better today and is hanging out next to my desk while I work. Thanks for all of the help. Happy Thursday!

·
Premium Member
17,396 Posts
So happy she is doing well. She looks darling in her cone! Did you get the small size & are you happy w/it?

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
Glad to read your update that Nani is home and recuperating well. Amazing what a good nights sleep does in ones appearance after surgery! She looks adorable in her pretty pink cone. Hopefully she won't need to wear it again for a very very long time.
One big milestone down for your sweet little girl!
🐶 🐾🌻

Reactions: edelweiss

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Glad to read your update that Nani is home and recuperating well. Amazing what a good nights sleep does in ones appearance after surgery! She looks adorable in her pretty pink cone. Hopefully she won't need to wear it again for a very very long time.
One big milestone down for your sweet little girl!
🐶 🐾🌻
It is amazing what a good night's sleep can do. She slept all night and doesn't seem to be in pain, just a little discomfort. Thank you!

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
So glad the spay went well and your Nani had a good night. She is absolutely precious.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I love Kobe in his ARRR comfy Cone from Amazon. It’s a soft pillow type ring thing and I tied it underneath so he couldn’t bite the string. The medium was necessary for him thought. He’s only 3.5 lbs but he could still reach his stitches. He loved it. Used it as a pillow and had no limitations. I wish I would have thought of a onsie. He was a bit of a houdini and kept finding ways out of his cone we had at first.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts