Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so im thinking that since it rains a ton over here, of just making a covering in the backyard where the dogs can go potty when it rains. its pouring over here!

anyway, so this is what i'm thinking *visualize*....i made a little pic if you wanna see it...i'll try to insert it here

ok, like 6 PVC pipes that are around 5 feet long....and 3 PVC pipes that are like 6 feet long. SO: i put three 5foot pvc pipes on each side in a row....and stick them in the ground like 6 inches or so. and then the three pvc pipes that are 6 feet long will go in the middle in a row......THEN: throw on one of those heavy duty blue tarps.

now im starting to see some holes in my plan because

1) how do i make sure it doesnt collapse?

2) how do i make sure it doesnt collapse from raining falling on it? (thats why i was thinking of making it look tent-like)

3) how do i attach the tarp? so that it doesnt fly away.

4) how can i insert a light for when it's dark? cuz that'd be pretty awesome to do. we have an outlet for a plug in the backyard

we bought the dogs a hello kitty tent...and that was pretty durable (its too small)....but all the connecting parts were sooo hard to put together. im thinking about doing it like that now. but i still wanted this little project to be under $10

anyway, thanks for the help if you can help me.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Although your plan sounds cost effective, why not look into one of the smaller chain link pens? They have some that come with covers...like this...
Kennel Cover

This one is a kennel that already comes with a cover...Kennel with cover

You can google search for small outside dog kennel with cover...try adding roof...try adding chain link...
I know one site that I talked to when we were looking for our outside dog run for the big dogs...they said the "flat" tarp-like roofs are better than the pitched because of wind/weather.

PS-We have also added tarps to the sides of our outside run to help keep the wind/rain out.

I know you are wanting to go inexpensive...but this would be something that is going to be around for all the rainy seasons to come...

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
As I remember your job and financial situation, I understand how this needs to be very inexpensive.

Does your house have eaves? If you have an area in the back of the house where you could nail a 1" x 2" then you could attach the tarp to the side of the house about 5 feet up then bring the other side of the tarp out 3 feet and peg or stake it to the ground, like a tent.

This way the dogs could walk under the eaves to the potty tent and you could run a light from the outlet to up under the eaves and then back down to the tent for light......

Maybe out of all these bright ideas you can cobble together a workable one.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wow, thanks you guys! tlunn--you're stuff is great. especially around here, there's hawks. and those things would be wonderful for when sprite and ellie want to go outside to potty...but i dont want to go outside. there are soo many times where they'll ask to go out at 10pm and gruffi is already sleepign and then i have to stand out there and watch. it sucks.

and picosparent---that idea...i sorta didnt get. but that totally gave me an idea. i think i know wha tyou're saying. cuz we have the roof that hangs over about 2 feet and then i can put the tarp there and then i can attach it to the tree...but lower. and for lights---im thinking about outdoor xmas lights that we have.

anyway....thanks everyone!!! thats given me more ideas...some where i dont have to "build" anything...which is great.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Yeah, it was hard to describe. The 1 X 2 was to hold the tarp to the side of the house. You would wrap the edge of the tarp over the 1 x 2 then nail the 1 x 2 horizontally to the wall with the tarp between the wall and the 1 x 2. This holds it in place without tearing the tarp like would happen if you just nailed the tarp straight to the wall.

It would form a half-tent when the bottom of the tarp was pegged to the ground about 3 feet out from the wall.

·
Registered
894 Posts
This thread actually brings up a question I had. Does anyone else out there have Hawks, Owls, etc that are capable of grabbing your fur baby and taking it away?? We have both here and I just FREAK out if Sisse is even on the porch....I was talking to Joe the other night about screening in the entire back veranda area so I could relax a little bit.....poor guy, he had her out there and he was READING THE PAPER, I really got on him about not physically WATCHING her. I have seen hawks and Owls swoop down and grab a rabbit out of the yard, and believe me, I could not of moved fast enough if it had been Sis...... :eek:

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Sisses Momma@Feb 25 2005, 04:52 PM
This thread actually brings up a question I had.  Does anyone else out there have Hawks, Owls, etc that are capable of grabbing your fur baby and taking it away??  We have both here and I just FREAK out if Sisse is even on the porch....I was talking to Joe the other night about screening in the entire back veranda area so I could relax a little bit.....poor guy, he had her out there and he was READING THE PAPER, I really got on him about not physically WATCHING her.  I have seen hawks and Owls swoop down and grab a rabbit out of the yard, and believe me, I could not of moved fast enough if it had been Sis...... :eek:
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=37818
[/QUOTE]

Oh gosh! I would be a nervous wreck, too. I don't think we have hawks but I never let my babies out of my sight when we're on the patio because I have heard of what you describe happening.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Originally posted by Sisses Momma@Feb 25 2005, 04:52 PM
This thread actually brings up a question I had.  Does anyone else out there have Hawks, Owls, etc that are capable of grabbing your fur baby and taking it away??  We have both here and I just FREAK out if Sisse is even on the porch....I was talking to Joe the other night about screening in the entire back veranda area so I could relax a little bit.....poor guy, he had her out there and he was READING THE PAPER, I really got on him about not physically WATCHING her.  I have seen hawks and Owls swoop down and grab a rabbit out of the yard, and believe me, I could not of moved fast enough if it had been Sis...... :eek:
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=37818
[/QUOTE]
My bf lives in central MA, and there are huge hawks there. At least I think they're hawks. One time I was driving and one landed right in front of me....I refused to get out of the car. I just sat there blocking traffic until it flew off. It was huge!!!! I know how you feel, I made him screen the porch too. Better safe than sorry-especially when you are talking about a teeny malt!!!!

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you all should just get a big dog. lol. nothing goes in the backyard when gruffi's back there. one time sprite was hanging out in the backyard and the squirrel fell off of the birdhouse and sprite ran away freaked out. its cute because there are times where gruffi just lays down outside keeping guard and sprite walks around sniffing. ellie doesnt go outside unless gruffi is inside and one of the humans stays outside with her. the things we do for them!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts