Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a situation and I knew that I would count on my friends at SM to help me out...

I dont know if everyone is aware of kodie's liver issues but he was diagniosed with MVD... his liver values are raised... but he doesnt have any physical signs of illness. He has been on Hill's l/d for over 1yr now and his liver values have gone down... he has developed a skin infection... and his (new... wonderful) doctor (i've been having doctor issues too... haha.. as some of you know..) has checked with kodie's internal medicine doc and got the okay to switch kodie over to REAL none precription dog food!! YAY! We are hoping this will help his skin infection and he might even gain some weight
... we are going to check his liver values in 2 months to make sure everything is still A OKAY... (cross your fingers!
)...

The problem is... I am on the hunt for a brand of food for poor kodie... It has to be lamb and rice formula and I NEED to know the MAX protein percentage in the food! All the brands I have looked at say.. min 24% or min 22%.... they dont give the MAX... SOOOoo... I have been emailing and calling (I have to leave messages on their machines because no one answers the phone) asking what the MAX % of protein is in their food. This is where I need SM members help!.... I havent gotten ANY responses except from the brand Solid Gold.... they told me the MAX protein % was 22-24% for their dry lamb and rice formula. I am looking for a premium brand lamb and rice dry dog food... soo I would like to be able to pick from a few different ones soo if you know of any brands could you try emailing them or calling them to find out the MAX protein... maybe you will be lucky enough to get someone to answer you!
Thanks in advance!! If you need more info let me know! Kodie will thank you... he doesnt really like his current food.

OOPS.. I put this in the wrong THREADS!!
Sorry Joe... this was meant to be in the Food section

·
Registered
802 Posts
I don't know if you tried Nutro, yet...but, they have a few different lamb variations. They have an 800 number, too.

I would think only a limited number of people would know the answer to that question, anyway...like the nutritionist who made up the recipe.

Be careful they don't give you some b.s. info, especially since your dog's health depends on it.

http://www.nutroproducts.com/naturalchoicedog.asp

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Kodie used to be on Nutro as a puppy and Eukanuba... soo I dont want to go to any of those brands... I should have posted that... haha... sorry... The nutro he was on when he had his first blood work done and he had elevated values.. so I was going to try something new.

Thanks Kristi! Sooo.. so far I have two brands Solid Gold and California Natural. Kodie's doctor is supposed to call me today and i'm going to run them by her and see what she thinks.

Any other brands???

I tried contacting... Wellness brand (old mother hubbard), Merrick (even though they didnt have lamb and rice... I was curious about the percent), Natural Balance.... no responses... ehh... there was one more i tried contacting.. i have to check my home email for that one... i cant asset it here at work.. its blocked.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Kodie used to be on Nutro as a puppy and Eukanuba... soo I dont want to go to any of those brands... I should have posted that... haha... sorry... The nutro he was on when he had his first blood work done and he had elevated values.. so I was going to try something new.

Thanks Kristi! Sooo.. so far I have two brands Solid Gold and California Natural. Kodie's doctor is supposed to call me today and i'm going to run them by her and see what she thinks.

Any other brands???[/B]
I went to the chicken soup website but couldn't find a number. What other brands did I give you that the pet store told me about? did that make any sense?

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
okay... the wellness brand has called me back... the max protein is 26.4% grams for every 8 oz cup... this might be a stupid questions but how many ounces is in 1/4 of a cup?

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
okay... the wellness brand has called me back... the max protein is 26.4% grams for every 8 oz cup... this might be a stupid questions but how many ounces is in 1/4 of a cup?[/B]
8oz = 1 cup so 1/4 cup would be 2 oz.

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
In liquid one cup equals 8 ozs.

·
Premium Member
4,916 Posts
Kodie's Mom: Read the thread called "Good web site for food" by Pico's Parent. Both websites listed in that thread, Lew Olson and Whole Dog Journal, have a lot of great info on protein in dog food. It's not so much the % of protein, it's the kind of protein that's important. :eek:

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
okay... these are my choices so far for food for kodie... (I hope i'm not being too annoying.. I just get so confused with food decisions)...

Wellness Lamb from old motherhubbard http://www.oldmotherhubbard.com/dogs/welln...yDogSup5MixLamb
I believe it would be 6.6% protein for 1/4 a cup... (max 26.4% grams for 8oz cup)

Solid Gold lamb
http://www.solidgoldhealth.com/products/sh...p?id=1&code=100
22-24% protein is all they told me for a max...

Natura Pet brand California Natural lamb and rice
http://www.naturapet.com/display.php?d=pro...id%3D%273%27%5D
max protein of 22.5%

soo... now... how do I choose which one is best?

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
i would go with the one that has the least amount of protein.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Kodie's Mom: Read the thread called "Good web site for food" by Pico's Parent. Both websites listed in that thread, Lew Olson and Whole Dog Journal, have a lot of great info on protein in dog food. It's not so much the % of protein, it's the kind of protein that's important. :eek:[/B]
okay soo i took a look at that web site... it says protein that products the highest amount of ammonia is what you should stay away from... and thats mostly red meat... chicken has less it says... GREAT.... isnt lamb red meat? This is just soo confusing.... now what do i do....

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
can i ask why they told u lamb and rice? i personally would recommend an IVD diet if the protein levels are low enough.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Natures Recipe (Petsmart carries it) has only 16% protein in their Lamb and Rice Formula. I fed it to diabetic Lady for quite awhile.

It's technically a senior formula (low fat, high fiber) but since Kodie is an adult dog now, I wouldn't see I problem. I'd print out the nutritional information and run it by your vet, though.

Here's the link. Click on Nutritional Information to see the breakdown of protein, etc.

http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_det...D=1135108339877

If you want to home cook, I thnk JMM has some recipes for a liver diet.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
can i ask why they told u lamb and rice? i personally would recommend an IVD diet if the protein levels are low enough.[/B]
Well its lamb and rice because we think kodie might have a food allergy... he has that skin infection still. What is IVD?

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Wellness Lamb from old motherhubbard http://www.oldmotherhubbard.com/dogs/welln...yDogSup5MixLamb
I believe it would be 6.6% protein for 1/4 a cup... (max 26.4% grams for 8oz cup)[/B]
Would that calculation be right? I don't think you would divid. I think the percentage would be the same no matter how much you give. I could be wrong, though. I seem to be having a lot of brain farts today.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
ivd is innovative veterinay diets..they were bought by royal canin. the derm docs recommend thier diets for food allergies b/c dogs usually like the taste and do well on them. what percent protein do your doctors want you to be on..i see that the l/d is only 18% protein per cup. i can call IVD for you..i think the rabbit and potato formula would be perfect for kodie

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
My Tanner has liver problems, so he is on a low protein diet. I found the info in Whole Dog Journal really helpful, i.e., it's not the protein, it's the ammonia, that's why it's OK to feed them eggs & yogurt. Anyway, I have him on Innova Senior because the protein is 3.4% I believe, anyway, it's pretty low and it's on theWDJ recommended food list. I have found that a lot of the senior foods are low protein. He's also had Chicken Soup for the Dog Lvrs Soul senior and I picked up some Ultra Senior yesterday. WDJ recommends changing the food so that's why the variety. All the companies I looked at had websites and very detailed info about the food content, composition, percentages, etc. Of course, I was not looking for maximums or food allergy info, but maybe that will be helpful.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Chicken Soup caused all my dogs to itch after a while- especially my yorkie who was biting his paw hair off.

I feed the solid gold wee bits which has bison and mine have been doing wonderful. Nature's Variety has a rabbit formula that this lady who comes into my store SWEARS by and said that its the only thing her yorkie has done well on.

I wouldnt divide the wellness % up- that doesnt seem right. Mine didnt like wellness

Mine also wouldnt eat lamb formulas and I have heard of many that dont like the lamb. I would look into anything without chicken and beef, and see if he likes the lamb.

As lady's mom mentioned- the senior version of all foods should have less protein and that should be the only difference.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts